WK2 Overland ORA2 Skids

JKJenn

Adventurer
I am toying with trading the JK in for WK2 Overland with the ORA2 package because I do a lot of long distance road driving and I tow. I have tried, with no avail, to determine what kind of skid protection the package includes. I read a thread on the Jeep forums that left me thoroughly confused. From the sounds of it, some of the "skids" are plastic? Is this true?

Also, anyone have tires they would recommend? I would like to stick with the stock size (265/60/18.) I was hoping I could use the Cooper A/T3's but it doesn't look like they are available in that size.

Thanks in advance.

snwbrdr

The front and transfer case skid plate are plastic / cardboard. But aftermarket solutions are available from chief products (australia) or rasta 4x4.
Motor, transmission and tank are steel plates.

You could try 275/60/18, 265/65/18 or 275/65/18. they should all fit on the OEM wheels. Cooper at/3 is a great tire, I run them in 275/65/18 on my WK2.

Jason911

Adventurer
Echoing what snwbrdr posted, only two of the skids are fiberboard, but aftermarket has stepped up to help. Steel armadillo out of Texas, cheif products out of Australia, rasta 4x4 out of South Africa and Asfir 4x4 out of Israel all offer solutions.

The new BFG AT KO2 will fit on stock 18" wheels without any rubbing, 275/65/18 (32.1"), and is 5.1% larger over stock 265/60/18 (30.5).

Last edited:

JKJenn

Adventurer
The front and transfer case skid plate are plastic / cardboard. But aftermarket solutions are available from chief products (australia) or rasta 4x4.
Motor, transmission and tank are steel plates.

You could try 275/60/18, 265/65/18 or 275/65/18. they should all fit on the OEM wheels. Cooper at/3 is a great tire, I run them in 275/65/18 on my WK2.

Thanks - I am assuming no rubbing? Any difference in performance? I tow and don't want to get bogged down.

Echoing what snwbrdr posted, only two of the skids are fiberboard, but aftermarket has stepped up to help. Steel armadillo out of Texas, cheif products out of Australia, rasta 4x4 out of South Africa and Asfir 4x4 out of Israel all offer solutions.

The new BFG AT KO2 will fit on stock 18" wheels without any rubbing, 275/65/18 (32.1"), and is 5.1% larger over stock 265/60/18 (30.5).

Thanks, will check those out, too.

muddyluxury

Observer
Are the mopar after market skids crap too? I am looking at skids but i don't want burn the weight on heavy duty skids that I will never fully need...

Jason911

Adventurer
The Mopar aftermarket are the same as factory, which are stamped plate steel. VERY stout pieces, and guaranteed EXCAT fit.

snwbrdr

Use the mopar plates, chief products front bash plate and you're set. Transmission plate seems optional for me..

No rubbing with 275/65/18, but depends on the tire brand and the actual size. 255/70/18 (jeep jk takeoffs) should work also.
I have a 2012 diesel, still towing fine with bigger rubber.

muddyluxury

Observer
Do you have the bash plate? It seems like its designed to protect the very expensive looking pump behind the front bumper. I was also looking at the RRO hidden winch mount - but was not sure of the interoperability or if chief was planning to roll out something similar.

alludc

I am about to debut a set of Skids made here in Arizona by Steel Armadillo. Saturday to be exact. While he doesnt make fuel tank skids yet, he does have the following:
Front skid, transfer case and trans.

these are pre-production pics. mine are fully finished, beautiful, and solid as hell

WK2 Transfer Skid Plate.JPGWK2 Front Skid Plate.JPGWK2 Transmission Skid Plate.JPG

7145c01040d93a48ac0341e39081d386

Last edited:

alludc

As stated, its a brand new product. Ill install them sat and show some pics. Ill also include weight, price, and selling link on his site. Being that they are new, im hoping he will do an initial group buy. These are beefy units. If you want to stay lightweight stick with the thin mopar ones for average protection. I toss mine around a good bit, so I wanted the best I could get under her.

Timgco

Adventurer
But your JK is perfect Jenn.

The WK2 platform is nice. If you get the OR2, you can go up to a 32" tire. You may have to pull the liners back a little, but in OR2 mode in the all up position, they will not rub. It does ride rough in that position though. Your tent and awning could transfer over to a GOBI on that one too. So you could re-use those at least. I would also look into the Mopar Rock Rails in addition to your skids. ASFIR has some WK2 skids available also. http://www.asfir.com/skidplates/skidplates-jeep/GC2016-sp

After driving both the WK2 with Eco Diesel and Hemi, it's hard not to like the powertrains over the JK. Although for the more serious trails, your JK is the clear winner.

Either way, I hope you're still out exploring and having fun. Shoot me a PM with your contact info if you want to chat.

Tim.

alludc

But your JK is perfect Jenn.

The WK2 platform is nice. If you get the OR2, you can go up to a 32" tire. You may have to pull the liners back a little, but in OR2 mode in the all up position, they will not rub. It does ride rough in that position though. Your tent and awning could transfer over to a GOBI on that one too. So you could re-use those at least. I would also look into the Mopar Rock Rails in addition to your skids. ASFIR has some WK2 skids available also. http://www.asfir.com/skidplates/skidplates-jeep/GC2016-sp

After driving both the WK2 with Eco Diesel and Hemi, it's hard not to like the powertrains over the JK. Although for the more serious trails, your JK is the clear winner.

Either way, I hope you're still out exploring and having fun. Shoot me a PM with your contact info if you want to chat.

Tim.

or you can go to a 33" if you skip OR2. with my wheel offset choice and a 2.5" lift my 33s fit with no modifications required to fender, fenderwell, etc.

0cba084f11ba1f23d06296ed3474f386

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior