WK2 Overland ORA2 Skids

Jason911

Adventurer
Decent pic - as nice the ones posted over on jeep garage, I like this one better. Without the roof rack looks decent too.

JKJenn

Adventurer
I love the "Stormtrooper" look of the white GC's.

But your JK is perfect Jenn.

The WK2 platform is nice. If you get the OR2, you can go up to a 32" tire. You may have to pull the liners back a little, but in OR2 mode in the all up position, they will not rub. It does ride rough in that position though. Your tent and awning could transfer over to a GOBI on that one too. So you could re-use those at least. I would also look into the Mopar Rock Rails in addition to your skids. ASFIR has some WK2 skids available also. http://www.asfir.com/skidplates/skidplates-jeep/GC2016-sp

After driving both the WK2 with Eco Diesel and Hemi, it's hard not to like the powertrains over the JK. Although for the more serious trails, your JK is the clear winner.

Either way, I hope you're still out exploring and having fun. Shoot me a PM with your contact info if you want to chat.

Tim.

Alas, Tim, my JK had 60,000+ miles and I like to keep newer vehicles for reliability with all of the long roadtrips I take. I was sad, but I traded the JKU on Wed for a 2015 Overland 3.6 with ORA2. I made it out to Utah in February and ten back to Colorado in the fall, so I am still doing a lot of traveling.

I had ditched the tent and awning and picked up a T@b trailer. The JKU got horrible mileage towing from Pittsburgh to Colorado. I loved the JKU and feel like it really helped me know what I needed to know in order to get to the types of places I want to go. The bottom line is that when you drive 2,000+ miles to drive off road, you are not really going to go too crazy (or at least I am not) with the trails, knowing that this is the same vehicle that has to get you back to Pittsburgh...and is your daily driver. I am still a little sad about saying goodbye to the JKU. I loved it (except for the gas mileage.) The most difficult trail I tacked with the JKU was the Alpine Loop in Ouray, starting at the Ouray end. I honestly don't see myself surpassing that in difficulty and I think the WK2 could handle that, too.

The new WK2 is a beast of luxury, comparatively, with the leather seats and advanced electronics. I have been studying on the "Selec-Speed" (hill climb/descent assist) and am impressed. I loved the hill ascent on the JKU so I am looking forward to that plus the descent option on the WK2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWp-Dmm7FzU

The tires will be the first thing to go. They are horrible and I don't know how Jeep can throw the "Trail Rated" badge on vehicle with those tires. I will likely pick up a bash plate so I will keep my eyes on the Steel Armadillo follow-up. I too, want to keep the weight down.

The other big advantage of the WK2 is that it is really set up to tow. The JKU did OK, but everything I have read indicates the WK2 will provide a superior towing experience.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

alludc

Sorry to say there was an issue with production of the skids and some misaligned areas. It could have been mocked up to work so that I could have had them on for you, but the builder wants to get it right. With the holiday schedule and everything else going on, it will be mid Jan before we get to get the final product on. Sorry! Ill post as soon I can

muddyluxury

Observer
But your JK is perfect Jenn.

The WK2 platform is nice. If you get the OR2, you can go up to a 32" tire. You may have to pull the liners back a little, but in OR2 mode in the all up position, they will not rub. It does ride rough in that position though. Your tent and awning could transfer over to a GOBI on that one too. So you could re-use those at least. I would also look into the Mopar Rock Rails in addition to your skids. ASFIR has some WK2 skids available also. http://www.asfir.com/skidplates/skidplates-jeep/GC2016-sp

After driving both the WK2 with Eco Diesel and Hemi, it's hard not to like the powertrains over the JK. Although for the more serious trails, your JK is the clear winner.

Either way, I hope you're still out exploring and having fun. Shoot me a PM with your contact info if you want to chat.

Tim.

Tim are you running those asfir skids? are they lighter, just as strong as the Mopar steel ones? And any input on the company and their reputation - I have never heard of them, but I'm not afraid to use the stuff if its quality.

alludc

Tim are you running those asfir skids? are they lighter, just as strong as the Mopar steel ones? And any input on the company and their reputation - I have never heard of them, but I'm not afraid to use the stuff if its quality.

Finally found some full installed pics of those ASFIR skids. And now, we (steel armadillo) knows where its 1st set of these went. 2 years ago, they (SA) sent someone on the east coast a set of these skids at cost, in exchange for installed pics and some internet posts. As soon as he received em, that was the last time he communicated. no phone answering, no email replies, etc. Looking at these ASFIR products, its a 100% copy. I hate to call anyone a thief, but damn...the only difference is the log. I mean its that exact.

muddyluxury

Observer
So are you saying this company ripped off the original engineering effort from steel armadillo? Or are these the same skids you talked about earlier in this thread, expect these are aluminum and the ones you installed are steel?

alludc

So are you saying this company ripped off the original engineering effort from steel armadillo? Or are these the same skids you talked about earlier in this thread, expect these are aluminum and the ones you installed are steel?

Both sets are aluminum. 1/4", nice solid aluminum.

John, from Steel Armadillo has been around the scene for a long time making great parts for Commanders and a few other models here and there. I tried to help him track down the original guy he sent an early prototype of these to. Tried to speak with him, looked for posts that he may have authored etc. Guy just fell off the earth. Id be interested to see when ASFIR 1st started selling these, that would be pretty telling...

alludc

the skids you installed are aluminum? if so, links please!!!

I mentioned a few posts ago that there were some slight production tolerances that werent quite right so a new set was being made for me, to ensure all future ones were 'dead on'. I hope to reinstall in January.

FYI, 45.5lbs total for the entire set.

muddyluxury

Observer
I mentioned a few posts ago that there were some slight production tolerances that werent quite right so a new set was being made for me, to ensure all future ones were 'dead on'. I hope to reinstall in January.

FYI, 45.5lbs total for the entire set.

apologies, I missed that detail. Please PM me when those skids are ready, I will gladly hand over money for lightweight protection!

pinetar

Even if you wanted to buy those said similar skids from ASFIR, you'd have to actually be able to speak to someone who works there, speaks english well enough and knows anything about the company.

I remember I called the number listed on their site last year (2014) sometime and spoke to a woman who answered the phone with "Hello", no mention of ASFIR name. She barely spoke english, which is fine, but not when it's for your customer service line in the U.S. And she couldn't answer any questions, obviously.

Also tried emailing them with no response.

So I'd give Steel Armadillo my money any day over that kind of business. Looking forward to the end results and when they go into production.

I've been desperate for some more affordable armor and it's a relief SE decided to help out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior