Wombat Camper

bigskypylot

Explorer
I do believe I have found the perfect camper for me. Well, almost. It's in the prototype stage now but due to debut at 2019 ExPo West. Theres a few things I have in mind that I'd like to see but this checks the boxes on a lot of things I want and need.

http://wombatcamper.com/

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ottsville

Observer
Interesting shape and looks to have some well thought out features on the outside. The inside width is kind of silly though -5'10" is fine for sleeping crosswise if you are short but why not pop the extra four inches in there to make it comfortable for an average height person if you are going that route?

Going from a foamie to a full fiberglass shell is a big and expensive stretch. Good luck to them, but I wouldn't wait to see if they can make it.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Interesting shape and looks to have some well thought out features on the outside. The inside width is kind of silly though -5'10" is fine for sleeping crosswise if you are short but why not pop the extra four inches in there to make it comfortable for an average height person if you are going that route?

Going from a foamie to a full fiberglass shell is a big and expensive stretch. Good luck to them, but I wouldn't wait to see if they can make it.

I'm hoping they make it and come in at a competitive price point. They are still road testing and working on the prototype so we shall see.
I'm just not seeing anything else out there that covers these bases.

jwiereng

Specs say queen sized bed. I guess to sleep perpendicular to bumper

bigskypylot

Explorer
Interior renderings
f347f1c79322da0c66cd11db8cf905cf.jpg
ceebca79e0e5f2e7251a4dc048971c80.jpg
2e25e33e6f7d200c1cf058da5d038f5c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ottsville

Observer
I saw the renderings and only noticed the guy crosswise. The folding queen makes much more sense.

I'm hoping they make it and come in at a competitive price point. They are still road testing and working on the prototype so we shall see.
I'm just not seeing anything else out there that covers these bases.
It's a cool design and you are right - there's not much else out there that covers those bases. I hope they make it too.

I have been through ALL of the camper/teardrop threads on this forum and many on other forums. There's been lots of people who have had the dream of manufacturing a camper, and many companies that have "started" and didn't make it, and, as we have seen with a recent thread here(and some older ones) manufacturers who get to the production point but can't deliver in a timely manner.

Having read about another manufacturer who started down the fiberglass camper path, it's a huge expenditure to do it right. Making a plug, making molds, then building more prototypes to make sure everything is right coming out of the mold, making new molds....it's a tough venture. I'm just thinking that if you want something before 2020 I'd look elsewhere.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I saw the renderings and only noticed the guy crosswise. The folding queen makes much more sense.

It's a cool design and you are right - there's not much else out there that covers those bases. I hope they make it too.

I have been through ALL of the camper/teardrop threads on this forum and many on other forums. There's been lots of people who have had the dream of manufacturing a camper, and many companies that have "started" and didn't make it, and, as we have seen with a recent thread here(and some older ones) manufacturers who get to the production point but can't deliver in a timely manner.

Having read about another manufacturer who started down the fiberglass camper path, it's a huge expenditure to do it right. Making a plug, making molds, then building more prototypes to make sure everything is right coming out of the mold, making new molds....it's a tough venture. I'm just thinking that if you want something before 2020 I'd look elsewhere.
I'd be willing to wait. I was looking at something that would run 10k and wouldn't even begin to check all of those boxes off. I reckon I can rough it for a bit longer and see what the outcome is here. We were talking about a different option other than the Timbren, which I'm not too enamored with.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I met the owners and got a full tour of their camper at the Expo. They are 100% on the right track! Wishing them all the best and much sucess in the business venture.
I have been chatting with them a bit after having a friend put me in contact with them. Very nice and receptive to input. Pretty nice people

Wombat Camper

Hi,

Let me introduce ourselves. We are Wombat Camper. My wife and I have designed and built the Wombat for the way we want to travel. It is actually our third trailer build and we are excited with the results. As an Architect, I have always been interested in designing something that not only functions well but looks good at the same time. My wife and I are also travellers. Having met in a hostel in Dublin, Ireland from opposite sides of the Earth, we enjoy being able to explore this planet we call home.

We do realise that becoming a manufacturer has many challenges and risks. We are utilising all our experience and expertise from our previous projects and endeavours to make this a reality. Plus we are receiving encouragement and good advice from those in the community and elsewhere. We are moving forward and pursuing this dream because we are passionate about what we are doing and believe in what we are making.

To compare our camper to a TVAN is a huge compliment. Our intent is to produce a quality designed camper that we can be proud of. Our goal is to be as tough as a wombat!

If you see us on our travels, please stop by and have a chat. It is always great talking to other travellers and overlanders.

Cheers, Brad and Julie

ottsville

Observer
I was just comparing the kitchen to the TVAN, but there is a lot I like about your design.

Are you planning on a molded fiberglass shell or building out of laminate panels?

Are you bringing the camper to Blue Ridge Overland's RTT gathering? That's not far from me, might pop out to take a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles