Wombat Camper

Wombat Camper

I like this build. Very curious on dry weight and gwr. How about an estimate?

The dry weight it is approx. 2,600lbs. this is depending on options. The GWR is 3,500 lbs for the Cruisemaster XT coils and CRS2. The GWR is 3,747lbs for the Cruisemaster XT Airbags.

We currently have in stock 2 sets of the CRS2 coils and 2 sets of the XT Airbags.

Wombat Camper

Thank you. I know I asked you this in multiple locations and I appreciate your answering in each. I understand your thought process. To some degree it becomes personal preference and there is nothing wrong with that. I wonder what the weight delta between the plywood and aluminum actually is? In some regard I agree and like the flexibility and repairability the wood would gives.

From what I have researched, Redarc is good equipment. What size inverter? How much battery capacity is standard and is there room for more?

Are you using a Truma system for hot water and heat? What A/C are you planning to use?

I believe I saw the Cruisemaster D035 hitch on the frame on Instagram. Can you confirm?

Any estimate on when production might begin?

Thank you for answering my questions.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The weight delta of the plywood is dependent on many factors including the density and species of the plywood, and also the thickness of the aluminium, is it framed, ACM or something similar.

We like the Redarc system. Depending on your energy requirements and configuration the inverter can be 1,500Watt or 3,000Watt. There is room for 2 batteries. Depending on battery manufacturer the capacity varies.

We are in discussions with Truma and Elwell (Timberline diesel). We have a 5,000btu window unit installed.

On our instagram we have Ark 3-Axis coupler. Going forward we will be using the Cruisemaster D035.

We are currently taking orders and will have a limited production for 2023.

We are here to answer whatever questions you have.

Wombat Camper

Some more interior and detail shots of the plywood components. All plywood is cut on our in-house CNC machine, keyed together and glued creating a strong but flexible joint. The plywood is also finished with a high end wood finish called Osmo, which is durable and infinitely repairable. When we do need a mechanical connection, we use nut inserts. P1140074.JPGP1140034.JPGP1140078.JPGP1140085.JPG

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

The weight delta of the plywood is dependent on many factors including the density and species of the plywood, and also the thickness of the aluminium, is it framed, ACM or something similar.

We like the Redarc system. Depending on your energy requirements and configuration the inverter can be 1,500Watt or 3,000Watt. There is room for 2 batteries. Depending on battery manufacturer the capacity varies.

We are in discussions with Truma and Elwell (Timberline diesel). We have a 5,000btu window unit installed.

On our instagram we have Ark 3-Axis coupler. Going forward we will be using the Cruisemaster D035.

We are currently taking orders and will have a limited production for 2023.

We are here to answer whatever questions you have.

Did you have issues with the ARK hitch,

DFNDER

I saw your unit at expo East and was very impressed with the design and construction. I prefer no wood myself, and wanted a full-time bed with a little bit more space, but the Wombat was definitely tempting. Must admit the wood does give a nice feel. Kind of a ruggedized and better designed Taxa interior look. Nice to see you bringing this to production with top shelf components. Best of luck.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

2,600 pounds is impressively light with that beefy carbon steel chassis and CM suspension. Wondering how much weight you would save if you replaced the wood cabinets with aluminum framed/composite panels. There is a company that does reclaimed wood panels called Centennial Woods out of Larime, WY. It's 1/4 " thick light and is great for adding warmth with out the weight. If going this route saves 200-300 pounds then that would help with cargo caring capacity.

Wombat Camper

Did you have issues with the ARK hitch,

As far as the Ark is concerned. It does have some advantages and disadvantages. It goes onto a standard ball, it fits a 2" hitch receiver. Disadvantages it can be clumsy, the greased 2" ball can get your pants dirty, the locking mechanism can bind a bit.

Our reason to switch to the DO35 is it opens up other design opportunities, it uses a pin not a ball and the locking mechanism is more intuitive and easier to use. We would have used it if we could have gotten our hands on one at the start.

We have also used other 3-Axis hitches and the Ark is one of the better hitches on the market.

Wombat Camper

I saw your unit at expo East and was very impressed with the design and construction. I prefer no wood myself, and wanted a full-time bed with a little bit more space, but the Wombat was definitely tempting. Must admit the wood does give a nice feel. Kind of a ruggedized and better designed Taxa interior look. Nice to see you bringing this to production with top shelf components. Best of luck.

Appreciate your comments!

Wombat Camper

We have updated our website with Features and Specifications plus a few more images. If anyone has any questions please feel free to email us or to reach out here.

Cheers, Brad

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I like seeing more of these small creative modern materials builds. The “camp trailer” hasn’t seen enough evolution other than bigger heavier 1970’s ranch house on wheels ideas?.

Looking forward to seeing more of your design ideas as it takes shape?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'd be willing to wait. I was looking at something that would run 10k and wouldn't even begin to check all of those boxes off. I reckon I can rough it for a bit longer and see what the outcome is here. We were talking about a different option other than the Timbren, which I'm not too enamored with.

Curt which I think is US designed and China made has a new trailer trailing swing arm setup being used by Ember RV. Its no doubt cheaper knock off version of the crazy trailing arm stuff the Australian/ Chinese trailers are running.

Also Winnabago is using a new sorta combo / twist on torsion suspension on their Hike trailers that might be interesting?.

Wombat Camper

I like seeing more of these small creative modern materials builds. The “camp trailer” hasn’t seen enough evolution other than bigger heavier 1970’s ranch house on wheels ideas?.

Looking forward to seeing more of your design ideas as it takes shape?

Appreciate the comment. Architects/Designers/Engineers are starting to lift the standard of design for campers as the consumer becomes more aware of the possibilities. For example the Polydrop, the cricket and mantis from Taxa and the original Tvan by Track Trailer Australia was designed by an Architect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94