Wondering what you guys think a fair price for my trailer is

gwolff

Observer
I am selling my custom cargo conversion. I had a build thread here during the build process so you may recognize it. I was wondering what you guys think would be a fair price to sell it.

This trailer was constructed from late 2017 to early 2018. It was built using a 2014 5x8 aluminum enclosed cargo trailer from interstate trailers. The leaf spring suspension was replaced with Tibren Axleless suspension, providing independent suspension and a ridiculous 22" of ground clearance. The trailer sits on 32" BFG All Terrain tires. The factory framing was reinforced with additional steel tubing. The trailer was also given 12 inch drum brakes. Also included is a Max Coupler articulating hitch, which provides incredible smooth towing. When camping, the trailer is stabilized using front and rear stabilizer jacks. When dry, the trailer can be moved by hand.

The trailer is fully insulated. It has windows on both sides and a roof vent/fan. The trailer has AC and DC outlets throughout. The trailer is capable of running off shore power or operating off of it's 125Ah AGM Deep Cycle Solar Battery. There is a TRIPP-LITE 700 watt inverter on board, providing AC when in the field.

Inside, the trailer has a futon couch which converts into a queen bed in a few seconds. I am 6'2 and I sleep very comfortably. The trailer also has quality laminate flooring and custom built cabinets.

In the rear, the trailer has a custom galley made of reclaimed barnwood. It has a sink and water tanks with room for up to 14 gallons of water. Also located in the rear is the electrical cabinet. The galley door has a fold down counter with a stainless steel backsplash. The lighting throughout the trailer is LED and runs off DC.

Additional features on the exterior of the trailer include a custom storage box near the tongue, an ARB awning, custom built diamond plate fenders, a mounted gas can, a mounted full size spare tire, and two bottle openers.

GiL6UJU.jpg

B6PQ0y6.jpg

0cbFN30.jpg

L2mk3NQ.jpg

Here is a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2sJ4rRYBvZGiknsm7

I have much more into this trailer than I anticipated, but it is comparable to retail overland trailers which are $20k+. I figure you guys would be the best to ask to get an idea for a fair price. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Last edited:

Teardropper

Since no one else wants to chime in I'll throw my two-bits in.

You've got a lot of money and time into the trailer and you did a fine job. A realistic goal is to recover your investment. I'd start there for a price point.

Not what you were looking for.

T

gwolff

Observer
You've got a lot of money and time into the trailer and you did a fine job. A realistic goal is to recover your investment. I'd start there for a price point.

Not what you were looking for.

I have about $10k personally invested in the trailer. It would be more but I was able to get a lot of building materials for free (like the barn wood, laminate, wall coverings). I was hoping to get $10k back out, in fact that's what I had it listed for on craigslist. I wasn't sure if that was realistic.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
In my experience, a 10k price point is a little hard to hit on Craigslist, as people surfing that don’t tend to have 10k available to them and are looking for bargain basement types of deals. Personally, if I wanted 10k I would probably list around 14 so I had something to give up. The CL observation may not hold true in a higher category like RVs, I tend to just be dealing in tools and old cars.

Where is the trailer? I know a guy that has been talking about doing this, and he might be inclined to buy vs build.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I had over $15K in my vehicle (UniMog) sold it for $7K. Seems timing and the market guide the sale. Hope you can get what you invested. I find that trying to sell something like what you have is very dependent on finding someone like yourself that appreciates the work you have done. CL is like going to a swap meet, low balling is the order of the day.

Superman99

I have to agree with everyone about the way sales go with something like this. My personal thought is its probably worth around $7k but I haven't seen it in person.
I generally think you will never get out what you have put in, unless you are restoring something rare. Custom stuff is always more work then its worth and you also have to find the right buyer that likes all you personal choices.

gwolff

Observer
I think you guys are probably right and I am very happy to hear what you guys think. I will update this post with my sale price once I've sold it. Thank you guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles