World Apprentice: Volunteer Overlander

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
After several months of planning, I’m just days away from crossing south into Mexico on my drive from Arizona to Argentina. I decided to take a year-or-so extended leave of absence from my office duties in order to head out on a grand adventure. The idea is to not only volunteer at various places along the way, but also to document master craftsmen of their trade. Thus is born World Apprentice.

index.jpg

This first leg will focus on just Latin America (which I've nicknamed 'Aprendiz Américas'). During the past few months of preparations, I’ve written several articles appearing on the main page of ExPo – with many more to come. This post will serve as a place to catalog each of those, and this thread will serve as an active discussion about my travels.

[Intro]
[Vehicle & suspension] [Shakedown #1] [Synthetic fluids] [Route] [Water] [Electronics] [Solar System]

My website: worldapprentice.org
Shared SPOT pages: SPOT Adventures | SPOT

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
very cool concept for a trip....more than just travel
thanks for taking us along

edgear

I'm in northern Mexico now, finishing up some "preparations" articles, and will have some travel stories posted next. I also have the beginnings of my website live, along with a SPOT page.

My website: worldapprentice.org
Shared SPOT pages: SPOT Adventures | SPOT

Sneak preview: one of the first photos taken on the trip in Mexico, at a campsite I rolled into just at sunset. Just enough time to whip out the tripod before it got too dark!

camp.jpg

Just wanted to keep you up-to-date, I'm still working on those boats for you. Recently received a few no's, but I'm still waiting on a few boats and other contacts to reply back to me.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
congrats on making it to mexico and I am also looking forward to reading some of your stuff
thanks!

edgear

Just wanted to keep you up-to-date, I'm still working on those boats for you. Recently received a few no's, but I'm still waiting on a few boats and other contacts to reply back to me.

Thanks Phil! I'm sure I could round up some glowing third-party references on Carter if need be. Hopefully a sailboat will allow him aboard. I'd much prefer that over air travel. So far my preference of travel while my truck is being shipped around the Darien Gap is:
  • Sailboat
  • Kayak
  • Backpack through on foot
  • Buy a plane ticket

carter2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior