Worst stuck recovery gear inspiration stories?!?!?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
How about people share a worst stuck story! Please post pictures if you have them. What went well? What didn't? What would you have done different? What gear did you need? What gear didn't work?

I hope this will serve as a good inspiration to go sort out the recovery gear, buy a winch, or replace some well used gear!

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
I also got stuck off the highway 60 yards in snow. This was before I carried all sorts of crap. I only had the stock jack, a folding shovel, and a 20' strap. 2 trucks got stuck trying to pull me out, mainly because neither knew what they were doing but they were nice to stop. Finally another member from this board came along and popped me out like it was nothing. If I had had a hi-lift and a place to jack from and a full sized shovel we probably could have self recovered. I think a great alternative to a winch would be sliders, a hi-lift, a shovel, and waffle boards or max trax. At that price you could buy a winch but I think honestly think that unless you live somewhere with tress EVERYWHERE the rest are more useful. Even just waffle boards and a shovel would be a very good thing to carry before you buy a winch, IMO. I wish I would have bought them years ago. I guess I'm a firm believer now in carrying as much gear as might be needed, as it cuts down time spent stuck and effort spent getting unstuck and makes trips more enjoyable, even if it's expensive or heavy.

Last edited:

kjp1969

Explorer
The year was 1986 and I was a foreign exchange student. I helped tow a broken Ranger about 100 miles across Honduras. I was in the Ranger, being pulled by a toyota corolla. The tow rope was a piece of rope, and it kept breaking, so we kept knotting it and making it shorter, and shorter, and shorter. Then it got dark. Then it started raining.

It was good to make it home.

broken1

Observer
I have two. Both had the same mistakes. I'm a slow learner.

1. When we lived in western Maine my dad and I (at age ~13) drove his Blazer, alone, without even a comealong, to the top of a local mountain's tower site, just to see if we could do it. It was very cold. The trail is very heavily wooded, lots of shade. The crust of the ice held us up fine. We left at about 8, we summited about 11, the top was bare and you could see for miles. We had a snack at the top and decided to head down an hour or so later. By the time we went to pull around and drive back down the snow had softened. The fact that the top is bare the warming day, and the direct sunlight softened to snow around us was the main factor. Down we went. Some creative use of the stock jack and nearby debris and downed trees from the surrounding woods got us back back on top and into the shade where we scooted down the mountain without any issues.

*Also one of my best memories of my old man.

Good things: A lack of panic, two resourceful people, a little luck.

Mistakes: Wheeling alone, no recovery gear, no plan, trying something we both had no experience with alone.

What would have changed it: A come along/winch and/or another rig with straps would have had us up and out no problem. Possibly waffleboard or equivalent. We tried the floormats first and prompty shot those across the clearing...

2. When I was in the military a girlfriend and I took my mildly modifed ZJ, alone again, with no self extraction gear again, into Wharton State Forest (Pine Barrens) as I had numerous times before. This time I somehow found myself stuck hard up to the bottom of the grill in what had appeared to be just another big puddle. It was a little deeper others I had been to, but somehow I spun until I was sitting on the frame. I walked ~5 wet cold miles in the dark out to the road and cell phone coverage, and had to call the girlfriends mom to come get us from an hour away. It was a frosty ride home. There was an attempt made that night by a well meaning person who lived on the road. Using thin steel cable as a yank strap. I now know we were lucky when it broke that it didn't kill someone. The end resolution was calling the local Jeep shop (No Excuses Jeep; New Egypt, NJ) who was super cool enough to let one of their mechanics run to go pull me out with his winch. It turns out that the deep end had some tires in it that I got hung up on and then spinning sank me in the wet sand like quicksand.

Good things: A shop that will help you out when you are a moron. At least knowing where to go for help. I am sure AAA would have banged me for thousands.

Mistakes: Wheeling alone, no recovery gear, no plan.

What would have changed it: A come along/winch and/or another rig with straps would have had us up and out no problem. A hilift and jack points likely could have gotten me out. If I had thought to check all four tires instead of spinning in the first place, I might have been able to do something with the stock jack....

Ah youth. That was 10+ years ago.

Now I run a Warn 12k on my LJ, am much more selective about what I will get myself into, carry enough gear to pull 2 or 3 rigs at the same time, never leave without hilift, shovel and kit of odds and ends like extra shackles, etc... and most importantly I always look at every situation through the lens of "How am I going to get myself out of this if it goes south..."

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Worst stuck ever in a firetruck I can ever remember. I told the Lt. it wasn't a good idea to park there.... :) Thank goodness for the "Superman" semi truck wrecker. We had pulled a couple hundred feet of small diameter hose for a ditch fire, and the packing on the pump leaked way more then it should have and made a perfect mud pit. It was a long time ago, probably taken with a disposable camera, hence the poor quality. The winch on that wrecker was massive to say the least.

Last edited:

stevo

Observer
Worst stuck gear

My worst stuck was back in 1980, I had just purchased my first 4x4 (a brand new Toyota long bed 4x4 pick-up which was COMPLETELY stock) and had decided to "try it out". I was doing donuts in a wide open area which was covered with about six inches of water when, all of a sudden, the whole rear-end of the truck disappeared into a HUGE hole. The truck was at about a 50-55 degree angle and the only part that hadn't gone under was the cab. About an hour later a farmer came by on a tractor and pulled me out with a chain. The truck sustained no damage but my ego took a major hit. My point is this: I forgot to take THE most important piece of gear with me...my brain. Common sense was left at home that day. I have made a few errors in judgement since then (mostly on dirt bikes and ATVs which have caused me more than a bit of physical pain) but thankfully, I haven't I have not f---ed up like that again. I learned from that experience that all of the equipment you can carry doesn't mean Jack if you do stupid things. Don't leave common sense at home!
Cheers, Stevo

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
This was probably the worst stuck scenario I've witnessed, if you count a rollover as being stuck. A guy rolled over in a hot tub at Moab. I think it took five winches to get him out of there. On top if it, it began snowing. Truly a miserable situation.

However, I have witnessed some very stuck ATVs/UTVs at the High Lifter ATV Mud Nationals in Texas, as well as some very stuck vehicles at the sand dunes here in Oregon. In fact, a co-worker's Land Rover got pretty stuck this January. We should've just winched him out, but thought just a tug would've done it. Unfortunately it didn't!

- Andy

Scott Brady

Founder
Even Land Cruisers get stuck. . .

This was an odd one. I was in Baja and had to run a short section of beach to Alfonsina's (Gonzaga Bay). This was in our 80 series, which is a serious piece of hardware with 34" tires, lockers, 3" lift, etc.

So I locked the hubs and headed into the beach (not aired down). I started to bog and got out to see what was wrong. Nothing seemed amiss, so I aired down to about 22 psi and started again, but just continued to dig. Locked the diffs and made it a short distance (feet further). What is going on? This truck wasn't even that heavy either (for a Cruiser). Of course it is dark now and the tide is coming in.

I air down to 14 psi and dig out the holes, but even with lockers, the truck isn't budging. What the heck?!?!

Further investigation reveals that the front hub wasn't engaging (yes, this 80 has a hub conversion). So the initial bog was a result of the front not pulling at all. With the rear dug in pretty deep and the fuel tanks and rear axle dragging, I just couldn't pop the truck out. So, I had to eat humble pie and call Mike McMaude on the HAM and have him pull me out, which he did with a big cheesy grin on his face. It probably would have taken me an hour to dig the truck out.

A Land Cruiser can inspire a false sense of invincibility at times and I didn't even consider that something was wrong with the truck until I was properly bogged. Lesson learned!

Rubiclone

Observer
The worst stuck I have been was playing around in a buddies field in Alberta, was testing out the new tires in the mud when I did one more lap through the field for the camera. I ended up sinking up to the axles in mud, and when I got out I realized it wasnt mud but a high area of cow dung..... talk about up ******^ creek. Tried winching, but I wasnt close enough to any big trees. Called up a friend with a truck and he had a small strap in the back. He gave me a good yank and the strap snapped and smashed into the back of the jeep putting a nice big dent right below the spare tire. (could have been alot worse). ended up getting tugged out. That was many years ago, ever since then I have carried good 4" straps and winch extension cable.

BAH

My wife and I went on a quick back road trip about 2km from home, it is down the hydro lines then branches off onto the local skidoo trails. There is a water hole about 100ft across and we have been through it quite a few times. This time, as we came out, I felt the back of the jeep slip. Didn't think anything of it ( bad idea), on our way back, about half way through the jeep slipped into the deep ruts I couldn't see. Well, we stopped suddenly and my wife cursed me and started to laugh. I tried backing up and didn't move. Put it in gear, got out and all 4 tires were just spinning away. Of course, cell phone and recovery gear was at home. I got out into a foot of water and got the shovel...nope, no way. So, my wife climbed out the window and I carried her to shore and she walked home for help. She came back about an hour later with a friend and our new, untried ARB snatch strap. I told our friend about how the strap works and hooked it up. Well, a couple of little tugs did nothing so I told him to give a harder pull. Well, it seemed like nothing happened for a second then, the jeep from just jumped right out of the water and we were out. Those straps are great and I never leave home without it, now,that is.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Way too many stories to tell. One without pictures documented here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/21040

Another tale is this guy still does not have a winch, you can read more via click the link, but hopefully the footprints in the ruts give you an idea of how deep the snow was there. Well above hip height and many feet below.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior