Would I be stupid to consider this trade?

Benlandis24

I am looking for some advice on a proposed trade. I am trying to sell my 2000 lx470. It has 214k miles, needs a new master cylinder, rack n pinion, and a couple small things.

I have a baby on the way, and I just need something that doesn’t need anything big right now as I can’t afford it.

Someone has offered to trade a 96 4Runner with 270k miles. From pictures it seems like it has been Maintained well.

I am thinking the only way it would make sense is if he traded and paid cash? Is this a bad deal? I’m on the fence.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would NOT make that trade. There is a guy in So Cal who sales re-manufactured brake booster (most likely the problem) for $280 plus core. I have a remanufactured rack n pinion I would sale cheap, but depending on where you live, shipping might be to much. Does the 96 have the 3.4L motor? or is it the 3.0? I know things changed around then. No way in hell would I make that trade. Where are you located? and what are you asking for the LX470?

Benlandis24

I am Phoenix. I’m asking 6k.

I am not familiar with the brake booster situation, I’ll have to research that. My
Mechanic told me it was the master cylinder because there was no signal from the computer.

Interested in your rack n pinion.

tplane2

Depending on your timing belt and AHC status, the details of his 4Runner (4x4, 6 cyl?), I'd actually say its a decent trade.

The rack and pinion is not an easy nor cheap job. Most who try and tackle it themselves wish they would have just paid.

For headache purposes I'd probably trade as long as the T4R is turn key.

Benlandis24

The timing belt was done about 5 months ago. AHC works properly as far as I know.

I need to get more info about the 4Runner

tacollie

Glamper
Honestly, you're looking at trading a high milage vehicle for anotger high milage vehicle. Both will need work. The nice about the 4runner is that parts are way cheaper. What condition is your lx in? Rough ones with that milage get more than $6k around here.

I am Phoenix. I’m asking 6k.

I am not familiar with the brake booster situation, I’ll have to research that. My
Mechanic told me it was the master cylinder because there was no signal from the computer.

Interested in your rack n pinion.

Go to Ih8mud and search the 100 series section. There is plenty of info on the master cylinders. I just had to replace my booster also. It was making a horrible screeching sound. I have a house in Havasu and can bring the rack n pinion there if you are interested. Not sure you or anyone you know is out that way. I'm there at east once a month,

Benlandis24

Honestly, you're looking at trading a high milage vehicle for anotger high milage vehicle. Both will need work. The nice about the 4runner is that parts are way cheaper. What condition is your lx in? Rough ones with that milage get more than $6k around here.

The overall condition I would consider good. I bought it in SoCal originally where the market is crazy for these things. Arizona does not care about lc all that much I’m discovering.

I know the trade would be somewhat of a gamble.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I had a 97 4runner that I gave to my son with 340K on it. It's still chugging away. The 3.4 is a solid engine. There are few problems with that generation of 4runner, but the steering rack is one, so consider that you may be trading one used up steering rack for another.

The 470 is the better vehicle, so unless he's giving you a few grand in trade, I'd fix what I have, especially with the lower miles.

bkg

Explorer
Depending on your timing belt and AHC status, the details of his 4Runner (4x4, 6 cyl?), I'd actually say its a decent trade.

The rack and pinion is not an easy nor cheap job. Most who try and tackle it themselves wish they would have just paid.

For headache purposes I'd probably trade as long as the T4R is turn key.

Rack and pinion isn’t a hard job, just time consuming. With new TRE’s, should be less than a 3 hour job for a shade tree mechanic. I’ve heard of people paying $1200+ for a job that really should be less than $400 with bushings and TRE’s...

bkg

Explorer
I am looking for some advice on a proposed trade. I am trying to sell my 2000 lx470. It has 214k miles, needs a new master cylinder, rack n pinion, and a couple small things.

I have a baby on the way, and I just need something that doesn’t need anything big right now as I can’t afford it.

Someone has offered to trade a 96 4Runner with 270k miles. From pictures it seems like it has been Maintained well.

I am thinking the only way it would make sense is if he traded and paid cash? Is this a bad deal? I’m on the fence.

Thanks

Trading the known for the unknown rarely ends in your benefit...

I personally would NOT make this deal. Fix what you have and you’ll be better off.

nasko

Adventurer
there is a reason why one Land Cruiser equals two 4Runners prise-wise when new. I would not do that trade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz