Would You Purchase A Brand New Air Cooled Pinzgauer?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I had a 73 710M for 10 years and I loved it, and I miss it. True it wasn't fast on the highway but off road it was very hard to beat it, about 16 MPG on highway. If it were a diesel it would have been a dream. I also had a 63 404S UniMog for about ten years and it would go anywhere, although also not fast and it was very thirsty at about 10MPG.
I now have an 07 LR3 and it is fast and comfortable, on highway about 16 to 20 MPG
I still miss my Pinzgauer and it was not maintenance heavy as some seem to believe, just need regular care. Something that many don't do and wait till it is falling apart before they give it the attention. These things are 40+ year old military vehicles and not designed to zip down the freeway at 80. Treat them right and they will last.
Thing is you can't buy a brand new Pinzgauer. They are European military vehicles and you can't bring an ex military vehicle from another country to the US unless it is at least 25 years old. It's a rule you can't get around, and a brand new one, if you could get one, is about $125K.
Oh, by the way, you can put fuel injection on an old pinz, takes it up to about 110 HP from the stock 80 HP.
I think if I were going to go once again into the market I would get an LR 101 or a Volvo 303.

Check this site of some additional info. http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/index.php

You can’t import any vehicle unless it’s 25 years old or older.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94