WTB: Diesel Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol in Brisbane Region

A & H Expeditions

Hi all!
So we are quickly coming up on our year long trans-Australia expedition and are now searching for a truck to carry us across the continent. While originally we had been wanting to do the journey in a Land Rover, practically and reliability wise we're thinking a Toyota or Nissan is going to be the safer bet (unless someone is willing to convince me that a LR Discovery TD5 is reliable...). We will be arriving in Brisbane September 6, and are planning on being in the region for 2-3 weeks dependent on sourcing a truck. What were looking for is a Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol with a diesel engine, we have a budget of $10,000 AUD. Let me know if there's any trucks out there from any members or if any one has any suggestions on listings!

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I've just got a 1994 petrol Land Cruiser for $3100, which buys you a lot of diesel... but if you're set on diesel, here's some options on Facebook MarketPlace

1993 Land Cruiser KZJ78 Possibly not the best option as it is a grey import from Japan, but pretty cool
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/691536007955736/

2005 KZJ120 Prado 1KZ is better than a 1KD (1KD tends to do pistons when the injectors go)
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1125508334300124/

2002 HZJ105 (I doubt it's a HDJ105) Perhaps a few problems to be found down the line if it's a 1HZ+T, and there's a list for RWC (which seller obviously doesn't want to do...)
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/468699947313684/

Alternatively, here's a petrol one, wiht about 2/3 of the Km's on it:

I'm not as upto date with Patrols, but they do seem to have been P-plater'd a bit more, so tend not to be in that great condition.... avoid the 3.0 and the 2.8, so keep an eye out for a 4.2 TD (TD42 engine code).

Have a look on Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace - the nice thing with Marketplace is you can sometimes see a bit about the seller if they're a private sale, so get some idea of how it's been treated.

Also, have you thought about something like a Holden Rodeo/Colorado//Isuzu D-Max ute with a 4JJ1 diesel in it, and a hard canopy on the back? They're in that price bracket as well.

A & H Expeditions

I've just got a 1994 petrol Land Cruiser for $3100, which buys you a lot of diesel... but if you're set on diesel, here's some options on Facebook MarketPlace

1993 Land Cruiser KZJ78 Possibly not the best option as it is a grey import from Japan, but pretty cool
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/691536007955736/

2005 KZJ120 Prado 1KZ is better than a 1KD (1KD tends to do pistons when the injectors go)
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1125508334300124/

2002 HZJ105 (I doubt it's a HDJ105) Perhaps a few problems to be found down the line if it's a 1HZ+T, and there's a list for RWC (which seller obviously doesn't want to do...)
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/468699947313684/

Alternatively, here's a petrol one, wiht about 2/3 of the Km's on it:

I'm not as upto date with Patrols, but they do seem to have been P-plater'd a bit more, so tend not to be in that great condition.... avoid the 3.0 and the 2.8, so keep an eye out for a 4.2 TD (TD42 engine code).

Have a look on Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace - the nice thing with Marketplace is you can sometimes see a bit about the seller if they're a private sale, so get some idea of how it's been treated.

Also, have you thought about something like a Holden Rodeo/Colorado//Isuzu D-Max ute with a 4JJ1 diesel in it, and a hard canopy on the back? They're in that price bracket as well.

Thanks for the links! That 1993 is pretty cool, and those Prados are good looking. I've only heard good things about the Prado line and their price point seems to be in range. The primary reason I'm hesitant with petrol is due to efficiency, and access to petrol across the country. What do you usual average for liters per 100 kms? If it is comparable to the diesel equipped trucks I would be more apt to consider it, as they're usually cheaper and there's more of them on the market. Also, is petrol as readily accessed across the country as diesel, or is diesel easier to source?

I haven't looked much into Holden's, are they typically reliable or can they be somewhat iffy? I have seen a couple Hilux's as well that would be well suited with a rack and crew cab, so again I'm not opposed to a ute either.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Thanks for the links! That 1993 is pretty cool, and those Prados are good looking. I've only heard good things about the Prado line and their price point seems to be in range. The primary reason I'm hesitant with petrol is due to efficiency, and access to petrol across the country. What do you usual average for liters per 100 kms? If it is comparable to the diesel equipped trucks I would be more apt to consider it, as they're usually cheaper and there's more of them on the market. Also, is petrol as readily accessed across the country as diesel, or is diesel easier to source?

I haven't looked much into Holden's, are they typically reliable or can they be somewhat iffy? I have seen a couple Hilux's as well that would be well suited with a rack and crew cab, so again I'm not opposed to a ute either.

The petrol will use more, but for the speed benefit (most of the full size Land Cruisers will be NA diesels at $10k, or have gone to the moon a few times...) they'll be worth looking at.

In terms of access to fuel - we didn't have problems when we travelled with our van back in 2010-12, but we didn't go really far west (Longreach and Bourke was as far as we went). I don't think it's as bad as people think unless you're doing Simpson desert etc.

The 4JJ1 engine (and some of the earlier ones) are rock solid, 3.0 turbo diesels, some reckon they're one of the best on the market BUT they do have some issues with transfer cases and diff sensors that can be problematic.

Hope that helps without causing too much confusion!

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Here's an example of what a HDJ80 goes for:
1992 HDJ80. This car is in good condition for its age. It has 531000k on the odometer.
Has been serviced every 10000km with fuel and air filter being changed every 2nd service. Please note on sale of car a new 4wd Supacentre roof rack will be installed. Price is $16000 but am negotiable. Car will be sold with a roadworthy and registration until October. At 522075km water pump, timing belt, rocker cover gasket and coolant was changed - 21/12/2018
New radiator hoses and Adrad radiator installed 519000 20/09/2018
New drive flanges, cv's and axle seals replaced at 518736
New alternator at the end of 2017
4 new 33x12.5x15 Hankook Dynapro tyres fitted and balanced 21/06/2018
New tie rod ends and wheel alignment on 14/7/2018 at 517411k
Redarc Towpro Elite brake controller installed 7/8/2017
Arb awning 4wd Supacentre roof rack brand new (not in pictures)
Arb Bullbar
TJM side rails and side steps
Outback interiors roof console
Uniden Uhf
Alloy Wheels
Cargo Barrier
Dual batteries with Redarc smart start isolator
New aircon compressor clutch and regas February 2019
Lightforce spotlights
3 inch Dobinson lift with new Dobinson shocks installed September 2017
New Led tail lights
Safari snorkel
3 inch Beaudesert exhaust with 3.5 inch dump from the turbo
12v Anderson plug on towbar
12v x 2 plugs in cargo area.

AU$16k
69124710_10157487913112453_3756698419389792256_n.jpg

A & H Expeditions

Here's an example of what a HDJ80 goes for:

AU$16k
69124710_10157487913112453_3756698419389792256_n.jpg
Thanks for the info! It’s not too confusing at all, I’m glad to hear gas is fairly easy to find as that was one of my main concerns. After thinking about it I do agree that even if we got a diesel that was a bit more expensive, a cheaper petrol truck would end up equaling out in the end.
That’s also been the other issue we’ve run into is all the diesels in our range are have insanely high kms...
Thanks for the info on what engines to be aware of though, I’m a bit new with Toyota’s and land cruisers so this is all great information!
That listing you sent me would be an amazing rig, just slightly out of our price range unfortunately. The hunt continues though and I have found lots of listings on gumtree and marketplace that I’ve been chatting with sellers, so hopefully we’ll find that perfect truck soon!

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I’m glad to hear gas is fairly easy to find as that was one of my main concerns.

I know you're using "gas" to refer to petrol, but my personal preference is to avoid anything that is on gas (LPG) as it can cause problems because of how dry it burns etc - just something to be aware of.

Also, if looking at 80s, it might be worth joining this group as there's always a few for sale on there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/80SeriesCrusiers

Ed

A & H Expeditions

I know you're using "gas" to refer to petrol, but my personal preference is to avoid anything that is on gas (LPG) as it can cause problems because of how dry it burns etc - just something to be aware of.

Also, if looking at 80s, it might be worth joining this group as there's always a few for sale on there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/80SeriesCrusiers

Ed
Yeah, my mistake! I didn't even know that LPG was an option for the Land Cruisers until I started looking through listings. I was planning on avoiding those sinceI know nothing about that system, and I don't think the outback would be the place to learn!
I'll check that group out, I'm sure there's probably some good advice to be had as well since thats one of the models that we're trying to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne