WTB: Hardshell RTT

rshuckfinn

Adventurer
Want to buy a hard shell roof top tent in Southwest. Interested in Autohome, James Baroud, Alucab, Etc. I am in Phoenix but willing to drive to neighboring states.

JamesBaroudWest

You won't be disappointed with a James Baroud tent! Feel free to reach out anytime if you have any questions about our products.

fire_strom

Adventurer
Ha! It would fit like a custom glove. Interior length is 6’ 6”. And we get shorter as we age so that’s in your favor!
-G

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
The size of an RTT is not a joke. I bought one that was a little bit too small and spent two years trying to learn to sleep in it. In the end, I bought a van. Just couldn't make do.

Given what these tents cost, telling someone that it should be "close enough" is irresponsible. It is no little thing to sell a small tent at a loss in order to buy a longer one. :confused:

If you are thinking about dropping 5K on an RTT and are unsure as to the length, I suggest that you build a mockup using the mattress sizes listed on the Internets. Make the side walls 10 inches high, and try to sleep in it for several nights using an inflatable mattress and the pillows you like.

If you can't sleep in it, then I just saved you 5K. Choose a longer RTT.

fire_strom

Adventurer
Given what these tents cost, telling someone that it should be "close enough" is irresponsible. It is no little thing to sell a small tent at a loss in order to buy a longer one. :confused:
Did you seriously fail to notice the response was in jest? I told him shrinking could be part of the decision making. Come on...
-G

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Sorry, not trying to be a jerk. It seems that I did "seriously fail to notice".

Just wanted to make it clear that the ONLY important decision about buying an RTT is to be sure you can sleep in it. I spent months researching an RTT only to find out that I chose poorly. T'was an expensive mistake.

fire_strom

Adventurer
No sweat.

I wouldn't say ONLY important thing is length, though it is a big deal.

I wish I had thought about how the the wedge style would have been way better for my set up. Poor access to the front of my RTT to stow it is the only reason I'll get rid of it.

A RTT is a relatively big purchase for most of us and certainly bears careful consideration.
Cheers,
-G

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I agree that the length of an RTT is not the only important aspect. I do say that the length is the primary aspect. Again, if you can't sleep comfortably in an RTT, then everything else is silly "overlanding" nonsense.

For example, "Gee, I'm sure glad that I can climb up into this tent on the driver's side of my vehicle. Otherwise, that driver's side ladder I bought for $600.00 would have been a waste of money. But, it's a damned shame that I can't seem to stretch out and enjoy my time in this tent. Oh well...I don't need to sleep. I do look hella-cool though."

Not throwing stones here. I've been the theoretical dude in the ditty above.

fire_strom

Adventurer
No stones.

I'm the shorter guy, measly 6', that is less inclined to use the tent because even though it is comfy and big enough it is such a pain to put away on the tall van I use it less than I would. It does look **********'n though!

First world problems.

-G

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
First world problems.

-G

Agreed. RTTs are the first step toward "for realsies" RV ownership. We are all young, broke, and either can't or won't afford a $1000.00 p/month RV payment.

Rest assured though....you will wind up owning an RV. Chances are that you will be able to stretch out and sleep in it too. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior