WTB: Ram 3500, 2nd Gen early 2000's w/ 5.9l Cummins

renglekirk

I've been a Tacoma guy my whole life but am looking to finally increase my payload and live a little more comfortably off-grid. I'd like something that can haul all the water/fuel/toys I can carry and the Ram 3500s fit this bill pretty well. The older trucks entice me because of their simplicity and ease of maintenance. I am open to advice/input though.

Looking for the 5.9 because from what I hear the change to the 6.7 also introduced new emissions related parts (EGR, DPF, etc) that can have issues I'd like to avoid. The newer 6.7's start creeping out of my price range too. This truck will be registered in CA so deleting stuff is not really an option.

Long bed or short bed would work realistically, just don't want the mega cab. 4 wheels would be preferred to 6 but I wouldn't mind either. Lower miles and no rust are obviously a plus.

Looking for something close(ish) to stock so that I can build it out to fit my needs. I'm new to the diesel world so picking up a truck that's been heavily modified, especially when it concerns emissions, scares me a bit. That being said suspension mods I can wrap my head around..

Located in SoCal but would travel anywhere between Seattle and Denver.

Pic of current rig attached just for funsies

Attachments

• Truck Pics.jpg
    Truck Pics.jpg
    992.3 KB · Views: 17

sn_85

Observer
I would look into the new 2023 Ford Super Duty's. You can get a 250/350 with the gas 6.8L or 7.3L in the XL/XLT trim for a very reasonable price and have all the payload you want. Plus you'd have a new truck with a warranty vs something that is 15-20 years old which carries its own issues and problems. Also if you're asking for a low mileage, clean, no rust 2nd gen cummins 5.9 you're talking about a $25-$30k truck. Not sure I'd spend that much for a Ram of that generation.

renglekirk

@sn_85 you're not the first person to recommend the Super Duty's. I'm honestly not a huge fan of a lot of newer vehicles I see, all the added features feel overly complicated and the new Fords are no exception. I loved the simplicity of my '03 Tacoma and didn't realize how much I'd miss it upgrading to a newer model. That being said I haven't crossed the slightly older Super Duty's off my list.

Overdrive

Adventurer
Your title says 2nd gen 3500, so... Don't kill yourself looking for a SRW as they didn't make any. Don't look for a short bed, either...they didn't make any. All 2nd gen 3500's were dually long bed. Good news is that they are easy to convert to SRW--just unbolt the front hub extension, throw out all 6 wheels and put on four 2500 wheels--the f/r track will be slightly off but hardly noticeable.

In 1998, they changed from Club Cab (extended cab but no rear doors) to Quad Cab (rear doors "suicide style" that could only be opened with the front door opened first.) Both styles were available for a short time in '98; no more CC's after '98; starting with 2003 models (the new body style), the QC became 4 real doors which all could be opened independently. I've had a couple of those too...shortbeds, QC, which gave a great turning radius with their 140" wheelbase. New crew cabs (bigger rear doors) have a much longer wheelbase but I hear they still turn sharp.

I had issues with my 2001 QC rear door latch area squeaking over rough roads...I don't like squeaks. I now have a '97 3500 CC which is hard to access the rear cab area but I feel it's much more solid. Can't beat the Cummins 12V for reliability. Last full model year for 12V was '97 but there were a few model year '98's produced which were manufactured on/before December 31 1997. '98 also brought a modernized dash with passenger airbags. Good luck finding an extended cab '98 12V. Jan 1 '98 was the emissions law change-over to the 24 valve mechanical injector which ran thru 2002. 2003 began the common rail 5.9 which has electronically controlled injectors and has had ever since. Mechanical injectors went the way of the dodo bird but are a fraction of the cost to replace and a shade tree mechanic like me can do it, whereas I would leave the CR injectors to a pro shop.

Last edited:

sn_85

Observer
I've been a Tacoma guy my whole life but am looking to finally increase my payload and live a little more comfortably off-grid. I'd like something that can haul all the water/fuel/toys I can carry and the Ram 3500s fit this bill pretty well. The older trucks entice me because of their simplicity and ease of maintenance. I am open to advice/input though.

Looking for the 5.9 because from what I hear the change to the 6.7 also introduced new emissions related parts (EGR, DPF, etc) that can have issues I'd like to avoid. The newer 6.7's start creeping out of my price range too. This truck will be registered in CA so deleting stuff is not really an option.

Long bed or short bed would work realistically, just don't want the mega cab. 4 wheels would be preferred to 6 but I wouldn't mind either. Lower miles and no rust are obviously a plus.

Looking for something close(ish) to stock so that I can build it out to fit my needs. I'm new to the diesel world so picking up a truck that's been heavily modified, especially when it concerns emissions, scares me a bit. That being said suspension mods I can wrap my head around..

Located in SoCal but would travel anywhere between Seattle and Denver.

Pic of current rig attached just for funsies

You better buy this one...

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Keep a watch on CL for Seattle adds. Those trucks are thick as fly's up here in Western Washington. Also might be on AutoTrader. Spokane might be a little bit better since they get a lot less rain then we do here in Grays Harbor. I'll keep a look out and if I spot one I'll let you know.

renglekirk

Officially out of the market. Picked up an old forest service vehicle, went with a 2015 5.7 gasser. My bank didn't want to finance a vehicle older than 10 years..

@sn_85 that truck is siiiiickkkk.. I think I bought mine a week too early lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles