X2 batteries for camper? from Batteries Plus

dfrank

Observer
These are sold at Batteris plus. looking to get a new battery for the truck camper, and eyeing up the sli27fa AGM battery.

spendy at $305. I can fit this in the single battery compartment, or I could add it in the wheel well and keep a "regular
' lead battery up in the vented cabinet.

It seemed like a decent unit, but reading another thread makes me assume it is not actually what I want, as it does boast lots of CCA, which might make it suspect for low amp high drain usage.

all my lights are LED, so the only real draw is the forced air furnace, but that adds up quickly in winter. I am looking for something that I don't need to worry about over draining, if that is even realistic.

I'll probably add solar to it this winter, but haven't researched what I need for a controller to prevent over charging.

Thanks

4x4junkie

Explorer
I can't comment on the $$$$ battery you're looking at, however I can suggest that if you're worried about over-discharging any battery, add a low-voltage disconnect or alarm of some sort to your setup.

Many solar charge controllers (Morningstar, for example) have a LVD built right into them, all you'd need to do is wire your furnace fan and any other loads you feel necessary to the controller's LVD (a.k.a. "Load") output.
Note that most (if not all) controllers do limit the load amperage to that of the controller's solar rating, so you'd probably need at least a 15 amp/200W unit to run a furnace fan (though if you get creative, you could probably power a larger load through a relay that is energized through the controller's load (LVD) circuit).

amgvr4

Adventurer
I just got a pair of X2s in group 65 for my F250. They were $259 each with 2 $10 off coupons so $570 for two after tax. They totally transformed the way my truck starts compared to the lead acids that were in there before. Rated a 930CCA each they both tested at 996CCA and it shows. They not only gave the starter a kick in the butt, the glow plugs are far more effective as well. Even before I added the DB gear reduction starter they gave me a sub 3 second crank to start time dead cold in 30* weather. My input is they are the best thing available now that Sears no longer sells the Diehard platinum AGM batteries.

texascrane

Adventurer
Less than 100AH and still weights 70 lbs

And for $300 ??

No thanks
There's a $30 rebate and you get another 10% off by ordering online and picking up in the store. But more to the point, what dual-use group 27f battery is 100ah?

In fact what starting/deep cycle AGM batteries from a known brand, are available for less than ~$250-270 with more than 100ah? It may not be the right battery for a particular implementation, but it seems to be a fair value for what it is.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
There are many options in the AGM start/deep cycle category that are a much better value IMO than the one this thread is about.

Deka 8A27 (8A27M) AGM, for instance. Made by East Penn. Can be had for around $200 each.

Same goes for the Trojan 27-AGM Running about $250

Both are AGM
Both are group 27
Both are dual purpose (start/deep cycle)
Both have 90 or so AH capacity

Im sure the battery this thread is about is a nice battery, but for a battery. something that is nothing more than a
consumable that must be replaced every few years, there is no way I'm spending more than $300.

Unless of course you can guarantee that it will last 30% longer, to justify the cost. :coffeedrink:

Either way, buying a reputable brand battery from a reputable store allows easy replacement/pro-rating for battery changes.
So no matter what you do for a battery, I strongly advise as such.

texascrane

Adventurer
There are many options in the AGM start/deep cycle category that are a much better value IMO than the one this thread is about.

Deka 8A27 (8A27M) AGM, for instance. Made by East Penn. Can be had for around $200 each.

Same goes for the Trojan 27-AGM Running about $250

Both are AGM
Both are group 27
Both are dual purpose (start/deep cycle)
Both have 90 or so AH capacity

Im sure the battery this thread is about is a nice battery, but for a battery. something that is nothing more than a
consumable that must be replaced every few years, there is no way I'm spending more than $300.

Unless of course you can guarantee that it will last 30% longer, to justify the cost. :coffeedrink:

Either way, buying a reputable brand battery from a reputable store allows easy replacement/pro-rating for battery changes.
So no matter what you do for a battery, I strongly advise as such.
If you're replacing it every few years, the X2Power is an even better deal. Batteries Plus provides a 5-year full replacement warranty with no pro-rating.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If you're replacing it every few years, the X2Power is an even better deal. Batteries Plus provides a 5-year full replacement warranty with no pro-rating.

DOH! I read the 60 month and saw 60 day.

That is a very good point.

Although the number of places that carry such a battery to take advantage of such warranty is probably much lower than a comparable East Penn.

Closest for me, for instance is an hour and half.
That means I have to burn (at minimum) 3 hours and roughly $50 in fuel just to warranty a set of batteries.

FYI, I normally get 4-5 years out of a set of batteries in my Powerstroke pickup.
I guess a bit more than a "few" years. But certainly not very long IMO, considering the cost.

jays0n

Adventurer
I have 2 of them in my FJ cruiser, a group 24 and a 31. I've been running them for 3 years now with no issues. Plenty of power for winching and all my lighting plus running an ARB fridge on road trips. No complaints so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94