XJ and Yeti

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
I know this is a long shot BUUUUUUUT...does anyone happen to own a 97+ XJ 4 door and a Yeti 65? I can get a good deal on a Yeti but I need to be able to put it long ways front to back in the cargo area with the rear seats up. I did the measurements and it's a super close call...does anyone know if it actually fits?

Thanks!

scbrooks87

Observer
It would be REALLY tight. I don't have a Yeti 65, but I do have a 31" spare tire in the factory spare location in my 99 XJ. It's pretty close to being exactly 31". The rear seat on the driver side doesn't actually latch. The seat latch touches, but doesn't actually click into place with the other side of the tire touching the hatch. Sorry I can't be more help!

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Well, my buddy happened to have one and it fits! But JUUUUUST BARELY! The rear hatch just makes it push the slop in the back rest when it's closed.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
It takes up a lot of space if it only fit this way, which would have sucked. Luckily it worked out! I have a white 65 waiting for me in a few weeks when I go pick it up.

No bueno like this...

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
I bought the 65 specifically because it was the biggest Yeti that would fit length wise in the back of the XJ. Here is the trick: the sealing surface of the Yeti (i.e. the top of the base/bottom of the lid area) is the widest point of the cooler and contacts the giant plastic trim on the hatch when fully shut. By raising the Yeti, the seating surface actually fits into the area of the hatch above the plastic that is your rear glass. Build a drawer system like I did. I built it lower on the driver side because that is where the Yeti resides.
65_Dimensions.jpg

IMG_20151022_203445_zpsmw0amqzk.jpg

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Damn, you're like my XJ blood brother on the east coast. I had an idea to make something similar but since I don't have the Yeti in my possession yet I have to ask...can you open the lid all the way with that drawer system or is the roof to low?

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Damn, you're like my XJ blood brother on the east coast. I had an idea to make something similar but since I don't have the Yeti in my possession yet I have to ask...can you open the lid all the way with that drawer system or is the roof to low?

IIRC you can but I'll throw it in there tonight to double check. I'm building a slide out drawer for it though so that'll be a non issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94