xj swing tire carrier

BCJC

Adventurer
i was wondering if anyone has any experience with the warn xj swing tire carrier?
TireCarrier.gif

rear-bumper.jpg

i was thinking about mounting it on my rear bumper i'm getting fabbed up. any input is appreciated.
cheers
jackson

LUISJG

Explorer
All i know about that is that,
tire carrier does not include bumper and is very overpriced,\
look arround for better choices at half the price if i were you.
also try ebay

Dave

Explorer
I don't have any experience with the Warn bumpr, but I loved my Custom 4x4 Fabrication when I had my XJ. It didn't have tow points, but I was able to retain a factory style receiver hitch for that purpose. It was A LOT of fun lining up the holes for the bumper, with the holes for the hitch, with the holes for the gas tank skid plate, with the "nut serts". One thing I liked was the tire mounted a little bit lower so it was easier to see out the back glass, but I never had any problems with the tire hanging up on steep obstacles.

I thought I had some pictures of just my bumper, but these are the best I could find...

FH000017_003.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

DSCN0899.jpg

8362600_R1_047_22.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Just to clarify, I don't think Jackson's inquiry was for an XJ. If understand correctly, he is researching the possibility of retrofitting an XJ tire carrier to his GMC Canyon. I didn't realize that at first. :)

Keep the suggestions coming. I too might be interested in something of the sort for my 01 XJ - preferably one that makes use of the factory end caps, with provisions for Hi-Lift and gerry can(s) ... and one with a spring-loaded latching mechanism.

Frankly, I could really use such an assembly, but having that kind of weight hanging off the back would almost certainly warrant a spring upgrade - which I'm not that eager to do. Therefore I have mixed feelings about installing a tire carrier.

BCJC

Adventurer
thanks to all who replied. sorry for the misunderstanding, but i am actually looking into making a premade tire carrier work on my custom fabbed bumper i'm having made up for my gmc canyon pick up. i may get a swing carrier made as well, but looking into potentially cheaper options. thanks for all the suggestions and i'll let you all know what i end up with. oh, and other suggestions are of course welcome.

cheers
jackson

Dave

Explorer
Oops! I totally missed the GMC detail. Sorry about that.

Chris, the bumper you just described was made briefly by AEV Conversions. Only a few were sold before they ran into production problems of some sort. There were horror stories of year+ long waiting lists. Do a search on JeepsUnlimited or NAXJA, you can probably dig up some pictures. It was a sharp looking bumper!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles