Xplore Tablets (PC based) discussion board?

Coachgeo

Explorer
Found me an Xplore Rugged Tablet w/ Win 10. Need it for work.. but hey.... why not use it for my LMTV based Expo Camper (project) as well. GPS module may be available for it too. If not there is other ways to add GPS to it. Anyway...... my question is..... anyone know of a discussion board for rugged tablets? Im not finding Shiat out there.

Coachgeo

Explorer
drat. thought someone here might know. Anyway..... Got the built-in GPS working. this unit was upgraded to Win10pro by refurbisher........ unknown to me though till I bought it........ that left a gap in drivers available for the GPS and WAN abilities of this tablet PC. It was designed for Win 7. Some upgraded stuff to Win 8 opened doors... since those drivers are essentually same for Win 10.

@Coachgeo are you familiar with a hard reset option on this tablet?. or have you even tried it. Typically if one encounters issues with their device it may be required to do a factory or hard reset. this will forced the device back to the factory settings then one can adjust once the system reboots. One issue to avoid is when buying used, the previous owner could have rooted the device. Which mean they deliberately wanted to hack and explore the devices settings to suit their needs. Often the amateur rooter hasn't a clue what they are doing and do more harm than good.

Edit:

As a member of the Android Nation I frequent those Android forums, They do offer other device topics but not specifically geared towards your device.

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
@Coachgeo are you familiar with a hard reset option on this tablet?. or have you even tried it. Typically if one encounters issues with their device it may be required to do a factory or hard reset. this will forced the device back to the factory settings then one can adjust once the system reboots. One issue to avoid is when buying used, the previous owner could have rooted the device. Which mean they deliberately wanted to hack and explore the devices settings to suit their needs. Often the amateur rooter hasn't a clue what they are doing and do more harm than good.

Edit:

As a member of the Android Nation I frequent those Android forums, They do offer other device topics but not specifically geared towards your device.
While Xplore does make an Android version.... this is not one. That is a more recent adventure in their line. This one was orginally Win. 7 and I'm stubborn hope to stay with Win 10 that was put on it by refurbrisher.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Let's verify if you actually have the correct model tablet and the necessary drivers for it:

https://support.xploretech.com/us/support/driver_download_win10/

https://support.xploretech.com/us/

There are no correct Win. 10 drivers for it. It's last production for this model was (XPLORE IX104C5 TABLET ) Win. 7. Drivers for it stopped there. Xplore Tech. tells me there are no Win 10 drivers for it and they have no plans to develop any. Have been to the links above previously. None of them are for this model.
They have been helpful a little bit. Lead me to some Win 8 drivers for tablet that had similar hardware. I tried those. Tis how I got the GPS module working... I THINK. There Software to run it is Win 7 and it seemed to bounce the GPS location all over the place... Other GPS Apps seemed to find the GPS ok and interpreted the location what I think was a little more accurately. I do not know the ins and outs of GPS do know if it is working right or not.

Have also used some of the Driver inspection programs and used those to update things. According to them I have all updated drivers now..... though I've not yet seen a driver show up for somethings like the sensor inside that tells orientation ..... do have most recent camera driver now... but then again it is a generic driver. I searched for a specific driver for the ID of the camera as noted in the Device Manager... but could not find any driver for that model thru the inspection software or thru my own searching using the model #.

Camera still orients itself 90 degrees off from where the tablet is actually facing. Search has shown me that this seems to be a somewhat common issue when going to Win 10 on older PC tablets of various types.

Last edited:
Saw these on fleabay and the seller offers that model in Win7 and Win10 versions. Maybe contact him might be helpful. Like you said though Xplore did not ship that model with Win10 and I do not know why he list those as being loaded with Xplore Win10. Maybe he could downgrade it to Win7 if your job application will allow the use of Win7.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Saw these on fleabay and the seller offers that model in Win7 and Win10 versions. Maybe contact him might be helpful. Like you said though Xplore did not ship that model with Win10 and I do not know why he list those as being loaded with Xplore Win10. Maybe he could downgrade it to Win7 if your job application will allow the use of Win7.
Contacted them. They were helpfull and did offer help in downgrading. Im not sure if there is a benefit to doing that though. especially now that got GPS working.

As for camera..... think I got an idea for a work around...... that would work massivly better anyway. There are apps you can get for your phone that let you use your phone as a webcam. App runs on phone..... and software runs on Win 10. to let it see it as a webcam. It can connect via wifi, USB or possibly even bluetooth. This also opens up faster FPS settings. This would be massive upgrade on camera... from Xplores 5mpx at 30fps even if oriented correct....... to a 16mpx with up to 60FPS? with my Galaxy Active 5. Sounds good to me.

At work I'd use this with atheletes as a coaching tool. We are not allowed to have phones with us or I would use just that... but think I can get by with velcrowing a butchered up phone holder to back of this computer and stick phone in it with camera out . My boss is a computer Geek. He'd just get a kick out of it.

For Adventure use, put phone in car/bike holder in my truck or Motorycle and whala.... phone becomes a GoPro. hmmm.. vewy intawesting..

Coachgeo

Explorer
So what do ya'll think? Is it worth downgrading to Win 7 from the Win 10? If I've lost the docking station connectivity.... then yes probably..... don't know that yet though. Looking for a reasonably costing dock station right now.

Coachgeo

Explorer
If I was concerned with online data usage consumption I would switch to Win7.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Care to elaborate? There is a Wann card that can take a sim card as part of this compute's tools so while at the moment that is not an issue since I do not have the cell phone portion of it activated it might could be when eventually used with the truck.

Win10 has more background network traffic than Win7. There has been speculation since Win10 introduction what all this traffic is that Microshaft requires. No I didn't misspell that. Even if you were to use your phone as a WiFi spot for the tablet it could increase data more using Win10 vs Win7. Supposedly MS allows you to disable some of it but it seems with each new version the user loses more over what he can disable.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
H.H. You can complete disable everything in windows 10 actually. It's up to the user to find out how to do it, and it takes some hoops to jump through, but it CAN be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior