XPS Sandwich Panels availability in the US

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
I'm looking for XPS Sandwich Panels with either fiberglass or aluminum skin and XPS core. Does anyone know of a resource in the US to purchase these or do I have to go to Europe or Asia?

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Polyurethane is fine and can sometimes actually have a higher R-Value than XPS but in my case I am specifically planning to use the XPS for my floors and I am milling out the XPS to insert PEX for hydronic heated floors. Since apparently there are no US manufactures of XPS or Fiberglass Sandwich Panels, my plan is use Foamular 600 and apply my own reflective foil. Foamular 600 has a compressive strength of 60 PSI and an R-Value of 5/inch. For the walls of my van I am using Closed Cell Spray Foam (PU) for an R-Value of 6/inch.

Why XPS and not Poly Urethane?

The Artisan

Adventurer
No problem. I think they're the supplier for Bison Overland's truck campers. I have a few other manufacturers bookmarked but I think Martel is the only domestic manufacturer in my list using XPS.
I spoke to them about some panels about some large boxes coming up as they are less than 2 hours from me.
Sounds like they are selective what companies they sell to
Kevin

Louisd75

Adventurer
I spoke to them about some panels about some large boxes coming up as they are less than 2 hours from me.
Sounds like they are selective what companies they sell to
Kevin

I haven't spoken with them yet but I'm not surprised. Total Composites wasn't interested in selling me panels after discussing what I was trying to do (hard sided pop up). I'll likely either roll my own or go with Fiber-Tech as I could likely fly out and U-Haul panels home for less than shipping. Fiber-Tech doesn't list XPS as a core option though.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I haven't spoken with them yet but I'm not surprised. Total Composites wasn't interested in selling me panels after discussing what I was trying to do (hard sided pop up). I'll likely either roll my own or go with Fiber-Tech as I could likely fly out and U-Haul panels home for less than shipping. Fiber-Tech doesn't list XPS as a core option though.
I am making my panels in house HD xps and premade skins. I have a hardsided frp poptopper and pod coming out I finally got my patent on it 1556585409995_gladiatordownup_1556585441346.jpgafter close to 2 yrs. Rendering
Kevin

rruff

Explorer
Polyurethane is fine and can sometimes actually have a higher R-Value than XPS but in my case I am specifically planning to use the XPS for my floors and I am milling out the XPS to insert PEX for hydronic heated floors.

Check out PVC foam from Carbon Core... or just get Divinycell if cost isn't an issue. Standard XPS is not very strong (even 60 psi) and it's hard to get a good bond. I used the CC 4lb PVC and have been very happy with it.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Check out PVC foam from Carbon Core... or just get Divinycell if cost isn't an issue. Standard XPS is not very strong (even 60 psi) and it's hard to get a good bond. I used the CC 4lb PVC and have been very happy with it.
The 2.2 dow 60 is plenty strong. Do you remember the proto we made about 6yrs ago 2.2 eps with glued skins. The end user welded it to the lmtv bed
It has been all over cali down to baja and recently to Alaska. The pod has
had no issues
Kevin
Screenshot_20220826-162502_Instagram.jpg

The Artisan

Adventurer
Even the 25 psi foam has been known to hold up in panels for a long time. But PVC is stronger by spec (4lb is ~150 psi) and easier to bond. It's ubiquitous in boats, while XPS isn't used.
Agree XPS is not structural but would do well in most situations especially smaller truck campers. They even put etrack on the walls Screenshot_20220913-065937_Gallery.jpg
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles