XRC8 Winch Installation - Solenoid Relocation

barlowrs

Explorer
Well now that you mention it.....

How has the winch held up? any major complaints?

I will admit that i'll probably mount the junction for the winch controls on the bumper, and not inside the cab, purely for the fact that if i'm out to be using the winch i won't want to run the cable out of the cab anyway, since i'll be at the winch anyway to get the cable....

I do like the laser etching... a lot... what would you charge to do that to a set for me?

Are you thinking of doing a dual battery setup? is there space to? I'm looking at possibly getting an 01-04 Taco, and i'm exploring options...

The winch seems good, the only thing I did notice was that it was very hard to free spool out of the box. To fix that I just opened her up and replaced the grease with some aerospace grade grease (will also help at VERY low and VERY high temp). I have not had to use it yet though, and it's quite new, so I cannot tell you anything as far as long term, though there are lots of reviews out there. The new one (the one I got) seems to be doing very well for itself.

I would not want to etch anyone's switches as I still do not have it down perfectly. Etching plastics is very hard as there are so many compositions. I did a trial run on the switch body that worked perfectly; however, the face is a different composition, so the power level I used actually made it bubble slightly. You cannot see it unless you run your finger over it, but I do not want to mess up anyone else's switches. Not until I get the intensity figured out.

I do want to run a Nat Luna dual batt setup eventually (one funding allows). On the 05+ Tacoma there are several options for fitting the dual batt. Though I am not sure on the older models. Do some searches and you will find a lot.

Last edited:

Srpat

Observer
Picked up an xrc8 and am going to be installing it in a couple more weeks. How did you mount the solenoid box -- do you have more pictures? The solenoid box seems pretty big to me. Did you disassemble it to put it into the 4x4 junction box you got for it?

Any recommendations for grease for those of us that only have access to amazon, farm and fleet, or home depot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior