Xterra and ARB Fridge Install

lchavez

Observer
Arkpak is performing well and I use it more than expected. I originally picked it up for the fridge, but have found it handy for charging devices at night and running my air compressor. Have not used the inverter yet, but I like having it. May have to use it for the boom box next trip and save on all the "D" batteries:)

lchavez

Observer
4 - months of heavy constant use and the fridge is working great. Truly amazing how little power it draws (compared to other tools). I ended up adding the cover and I'm just pleased with the whole package. Note: that cover was a bear at first to get on. Tip: file the edge of the metal tab just a little bit. This sharp edge catches/cuts into the plastic and keeps it from seating.

1Louder

Explorer
I just built something similar to what you have for my FJ. I am still trying to dial in the best temperature setting for my stuff. ArkPak is great. I wish the factory mount was easier to remove and re-install though.

25179821016_7a8a1d90e9_b.jpg

lchavez

Observer
Nice set up. I didn't care for the arkpak mounts either. I have since moved the arkpak to the back seat foot area. I still have it strapped, but its sandwiched in so it does not move at all. Also popped the display lid off. I kept knocking it off by accident so I just finally removed it.

1Louder

Explorer
Nice set up. I didn't care for the arkpak mounts either. I have since moved the arkpak to the back seat foot area. I still have it strapped, but its sandwiched in so it does not move at all. Also popped the display lid off. I kept knocking it off by accident so I just finally removed it.

If I wasn't 6' 5" I would also drop it behind the seat. I may try to invent a better mount. You're right straps tend to get in the way of everything unless the are front to back vs over the top.

lchavez

Observer
You can strap through the vent/handholds directly across the top of the battery. This way you stay off of the lid and it's a solid tie down.

1Louder

Explorer
Thanks I will take a look again.

On my 715 I think the only thing I can do is put a strap on top of the battery and through the handles. Is that what you are referring to? I have some slight concerns about the strap slipping and damaging the cables. Probably not very likely but I will take a look at setting something up this way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here's the only way I can see doing it with my 715. Not sure if it is any better than the ArkPak mount.

24872765969_27626777ab_c.jpg

For the person asking about the fridge slide an ARB will not fit unless you were to build a wider platform on top.

25214154586_07c9a1e272_c.jpg

ARB 37 QT

Last edited:

lchavez

Observer
You got it. Not so much that it's better, just options. I did run it that way for a few months without damage to terminals (had the same concern). I like the second battery....but I hate loosing storage space:). I'm sure I'll move it again at some point.

1Louder

Explorer
You got it. Not so much that it's better, just options. I did run it that way for a few months without damage to terminals (had the same concern). I like the second battery....but I hate losing storage space:). I'm sure I'll move it again at some point.

Solo trip I could possibly put it behind the passenger seat with it moved forward a bit. Strap is quicker to install and remove for sure. Like you I go back and forth on where to put it. Where I have it kills some useful storage area but also keeps whatever is plugged in protected. No perfect solutions for sure! Fun to keep trying though!

lchavez

Observer
I semi permanently mounted my 60w solar panel to charge the arkpak and its seems to be keeping up with the fridge.

Not an ideal set up as the controller is mounted under the solar panel and is not water proof itself (panels are). This set was meant to be portable, but it's what I had so figured I'd put it to use. It also cost me a lot of roof rack space but I like the no hassle/worry of messing with chargers for longer down time periods.
db1d4a39e1caaef8cb3df0768088aefb.jpg

lchavez

Observer
thought i would update this old thread.

ark pak still running strong. i have really grown to appreciate the ark pak. use it to run my wilson cell booster and charge all my devices when base camping. the inverter has come in handy when i needed it.

arb fridge still running strong. it has been reliable and perfect for my application.

all are now running on a 100W renogy solar eclipse panel mounted to HEP roof rack. 100w solar keeps the fridge running indefinitely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94