Xterra and ARB Fridge Install

lchavez

Observer
Nothing fancy, really trying to keep my xterra interior uncluttered for daily use.

Installed the fridge so that we could get to it while on the road. Like having access to drinks and snacks.

Used the stock ARB tie down system and the seat brackets already had holes for the system. Front bracket holes where ready to go as is. Rear bracket had little rubber bumpers that covered two perfect holes. I can still remove the fridge, store straps and replace the seat when needed. I'm using some strap extensions I had laying around from my back pack to make up for the thickness of the folded seat.

Have a arkpak 730 on the way for secondary juice. Thank you Brett for your help on this.

492090b744b1d7f58fddd4fc8b0564ca.jpg

559913a5b6ade789bb503e0e9ddf0157.jpg

9e5d8d26b3774fd9785b25b868d48891.jpg

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The rear door openings are pretty tight and that looks kind of high up. How much can you open the lid and do you have any problems getting things in/out?

CaliMobber

Adventurer
That's usually how mine is setup when traveling. That's what I miss most about my edgestar with the side opening doors. It was much easier to access the cold drinks on the road.

Nice use of the arb straps, must be a solid setup.

Golf286

Adventurer
I did the same thing with mine, we used it on our last trip to Ouray 3 weeks ago and worked great.

lchavez

Observer
First trip with the new ARB, three days out in the desert. Conditions: car parked in full sun, highs in the 80s, lows in the 60s. I pre chilled the cooler at home then filled with 3/4 cold drinks and 1/4 frozen drinks. Little bit of food in the dairy tray. Got two solid days on the ARB before the HI battery check kicked in........cool. Xterra fired up strong and Arkpak arrives this wed so all is good.

Going to be using all equipment heavy this season (heavy for me) almost every weekend until May.
4f4bbdee62966d978ede313c12015554.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I've heard great things about the ARB fridges, nice to know they are what people say they are.

Hey, nice Oztent! Is that the RV-3? I've got an RV-3, best tent I've ever owned.

Streaky

Observer
My mate would beg to differ with you on that! He's on his third ARB fridge in three years.

The first edition ARB Fridges had a Non-Serviceable thermostat...replacement number One.
The second fridge suffered the same fault...but on the 2.1 version they were able to replace the thermostat only under warranty.
Fridge number three...the plastic handle broke off!...how to fix broken plastic??.....another visit to the dealers.
Then just last week....ERROR light comes on....the 12v Power socket pins are worn and don't contact properly....he's sourced a replacement plug & socket.

I'll stick with my 12 year old Metal Engal thanks....it never lets me down.

lchavez

Observer
My mate would beg to differ with you on that! He's on his third ARB fridge in three years.

The first edition ARB Fridges had a Non-Serviceable thermostat...replacement number One.
The second fridge suffered the same fault...but on the 2.1 version they were able to replace the thermostat only under warranty.
Fridge number three...the plastic handle broke off!...how to fix broken plastic??.....another visit to the dealers.
Then just last week....ERROR light comes on....the 12v Power socket pins are worn and don't contact properly....he's sourced a replacement plug & socket.

I'll stick with my 12 year old Metal Engal thanks....it never lets me down.

That's a bummer, let's hope the bugs are all worked out.

Streaky

Observer
That's a bummer, let's hope the bugs are all worked out.

The early fridges with the thermostat issue and the later ones have different colored LED display...sorry but I don't know which is which but the guys at ARB should be able to tell you.

lchavez

Observer
The rear door openings are pretty tight and that looks kind of high up. How much can you open the lid and do you have any problems getting things in/out?
I had no issue getting into it from the drivers seat or the back side door. The lid does not open all the way, but it was enough to get tall water bottles out of. Plus I can always just pop the lid off if I need total access. The only downside is i am usually cooking in the back.

lchavez

Observer
Arkpak installed. Just used a tiedown strap to connect to the track system in xterra. Arkpak is plugged into cig lighter that turns off with ignition.
a6d61f388fe961746cad18fd392927e6.jpg
c5f7bf7d154d5c6f4f840dc3edcf2140.jpg

lchavez

Observer
had a couple of goal zero boulder 15's laying around and thought I would plug them in to see if they could get me by until I decide on a solar setup. The good, they store in the xterra tray up above and deploy with tray lid as support. They bad, only getting 8 watts out of these panels that are supposed to be rated for 30 total. They are in full AZ sun. I always suspected they where crap, but I didn't realize they where this bad. My little folding 10W Powerfilm puts out more actual watts than these guys. Oh well, it was worth a try.
IMG_3165.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles