Xterra Rear bumper build with tire carrier (WTD)

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Rear Bumper

This bumper is getting closer to being completed. Here are a couple more pics.
This rear bumper and tire rack is not going to decrease departure angle unless you going straight up :Wow1:

Next is to finish up the accessory rack that is removable.

SRStaff

Observer
Correct that the tire carrier will not affect departure angle. Unfortunately for me the bumper itself would for me. I would hit it on my leaf looking trail. It should do fine for most people that stay more flatland overland though.

Kjswa

We are in San Diego. They will def be available to the public at our shop or we can ship them to you. This is the first one so there will be some bugs to work out. I will be sure to add more pics.

I'm in Orange County. Just bought a 2006 Off road & have been searching for a good light weight rear bumper that can carry all the extra gear. I will keep an eye on this thread very interested with what you come up with! I'm on the SCCX forum to if your posting info on there as well.

Jayrat

Correct that the tire carrier will not affect departure angle. Unfortunately for me the bumper itself would for me. I would hit it on my leaf looking trail. It should do fine for most people that stay more flatland overland though.

The Rig it's being build for is definitely a rock crawler

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
We finished up the Xterra bumper and the customer loved it, and is headed out for a 3 day trip on the Mojave Trail to do some testing. Here is the final product..

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Hidden receiver is a nice touch guys :) kudos!

While you were messing about as there consideration to having the bumper wrap around and getting rid of the "cheeks" the plastic step stuff there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Hidden receiver is a nice touch guys :) kudos!

While you were messing about as there consideration to having the bumper wrap around and getting rid of the "cheeks" the plastic step stuff there?

We can build whatever you would want! Bring it on down......

Jayrat

Nice work. saw it in action this weekend, looks even better in person..
I didn't realize I knew the Rig,until Friday LOL
I'll be calling you soon

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Bring it down from Hollister lol I wish

Build whatever I want usually comes with a blank check and seeing as I didn't hit that billion dollar lottery not likely to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Celt

Nice work. saw it in action this weekend, looks even better in person..

So does that mean you were watching my ***??? :shakin: All joking aside that bumper performed flawlessly, I couldn't be happier with it. This isn't the first job WeldTec has done for me and it sure won't be the last. Super nice quality all American built!

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
So does that mean you were watching my ***??? :shakin: All joking aside that bumper performed flawlessly, I couldn't be happier with it. This isn't the first job WeldTec has done for me and it sure won't be the last. Super nice quality all American built!

Thanks for the kind words! We are glad that we could build you what you wanted for your Xterra...

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Hope you never need to get the plastic caps off... you're going to need to remove the bumper to do it..
Looks ok.. but seems way over done for no reason.. The plate bumpers everyone else make seem to do the trick and Im guessing weigh nearly the same or less than this one...

and 1800????

Celt

Hope you never need to get the plastic caps off... you're going to need to remove the bumper to do it..
Looks ok.. but seems way over done for no reason.. The plate bumpers everyone else make seem to do the trick and Im guessing weigh nearly the same or less than this one...

and 1800????

Not sure what you mean by "way overdone" the bumper was purpose built for the type of wheeling I do and with the features I need in mind. The swing arm has flexibility but still retains a lot of strength so it won't move inward shattering the rear window on steep departure angles if they drag a rock or ledge as can commonly happen. The other plate bumpers everyone else use is fine for them. I wanted something different and this fit the bill for me just fine and has been doing exactly what I needed it to. The nice thing about going with a custom fabricator is you don't have to settle for what is out there, you can work with the fabricator to have something made that is exactly what you want. WeldTec really did right by me on this project and on a full cage for another vehicle of mine!

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I'm not sure what common issues you are talking about.. Yes I've seen it happen to a few xterras but it's very rare..

You say it's what you wanted which is cool but you are also selling these.. As a person who has been in the Xterra community for a long time.. 1800 is double price vs all the others..

Your build looks great so this isn't about disrespecting the build..

Celt

I'm not sure what common issues you are talking about.. Yes I've seen it happen to a few xterras but it's very rare..

You say it's what you wanted which is cool but you are also selling these.. As a person who has been in the Xterra community for a long time.. 1800 is double price vs all the others..

Your build looks great so this isn't about disrespecting the build..

I'm not selling any of these, I'm just saying they did a really great job for me in this and previous projects. I don't mind letting other people know there are options out there. If they choose to explore them then that's great, if not it's no big deal. I don't go around town trying to sell anything but if someone asks me about the bumper, I'm glad to tell them who made it and point them to the shop if they wish. I don't get anything for it at all nor would I want any form of payment from the fabricator. He's a great guy that does high quality custom work. It seems like each time I go to Moab or similar rock crawling area someone with a swing out carrier gets their rear window shattered coming off of an obstacle. Sometimes it's because of going too fast which is their fault, other times it's just the nature of the angle. I guess that's the issue with the internet is people aren't looking at each other when they are talking so they may take things the wrong way but I'm surely not selling anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94