Yakima SkyRise 2 Review

mmbirtcher

Observer
I hadn’t seen many (any actually) reviews that were in depth on the YS RTT. I’ve been wanting a RTT for some time, and while I’d love the James Baroud or something similar, the price point just wasn’t working for me. A friend mentioned the YS RTT was on sale and if you add the REI membership discount it’s a real steal. So I picked one up at my local REI store for a total of $618 out the door. When I unboxed, I discovered a considerable dent and torn Velcro. So I took it back for an exchange. When I did they told me that most of the come in damaged from Yakima (what’s up with that)? Anyway after returning I asked what they did with damaged ones to which they said they resell them as damaged. ?:sneaky: ! I said “how much”, they said $450. I said “can you do better”? They said $350! So I walked out with it for $380 or so with tax. Great deal for a cheap RTT to see if I even like them!

That shows the damage. It’s smaller than it looks here.

I’m trying duct tape to patch it. Super sticky stuff and appropriate for this repair IMHO. Although duck tape or similar would probably work well too.

Damaged Velcro. Just not properly sewn. There’s not enough stitching on any of these straps. They’re the ones that hold the two sides folded together when stowed. The straps are riveted in under trim so would have to be restitched somehow in place. Any know how I might do that? Some kind of hand stitcher?

The rain fly is extremely well secured to the main tent with 9 Velcro wraps and at least 6 cinching straps with buckles. Actually overkill I’m thinking. I would leave the rain fly on and just remove when not needed which is easier than putting on in a downpour.

That’s a rainfly strap.

Here’s everything that it came with.
This is the base with the feet / clamps attached. Each base support is held on by two somewhat small screws and nuts. That should be beefier I think.

These are the Spanish instructions. In English. All the instructions are in English then repeated 3 times. Also in in English...?

There’s extra holes in the bottom to accommodate different roof rack systems and sizes. Each extra hole is covered with a small paper adhesive disk that probably won’t last very long after some miles on the road. I’ll hit all of these with larger pieces of duct tape.

Attachments

• 8BC53304-697F-4C45-8428-11AAFCBFAA05.jpeg
    8BC53304-697F-4C45-8428-11AAFCBFAA05.jpeg
    562.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

mmbirtcher

Observer
Ready to go on the roof.

I would avoid using these zippers too much. They catch on the material very easily and are undersized for the job.

This Velcro is on two sides. It would seal better if it were on all four sides.

Up on the roof mounted on my factory bars. I’ll Evaluate how well this performs over time. It seemed solid climbing up into it.

In this picture I have the ladder at too much of an angle so it’s not adequately supporting the tent. There’s no mention of proper ladder angle in the instructions and the 70 degrees that is the standard in my industry is too low.

Very comfortable mattress! But I’ve been sleeping on the ground for years... the windows are good sized and seem as though they will allow good ventilation. I’m pretty stoked to try it out!

Much better angle for support. Ladder is lightweight and easy to operate. There are a few tabs here and there that I have no idea what they are for.

That’s all I have for now. I am obviously critical of the tent in some areas, and although they seem to have a shipping issue that damages many of their tents, it definitely worked out in my favor. While I seem critical, I do well understand that you get what you pay for and I really have low expectations for the what I paid. I would however, never say this is worth the full price.

I’ll follow up this review with more info once I get some nights in it. Hope this helps someone make a decision.

Cheers!

I quite like our SkyRise, and that’s a great price you got! I drilled out the rivers holding those straps on and added quality side release buckles, makes everything easier and the Velcro never holds when wet/dirty/etc.
I also ran two long straps over the top of the cover parallel to the ladder to help keep the cover down snug, seemed to stop some of the flapping!
Enjoy!

Wallygator

Adventurer
Look forward to more reviews on this. Man that price almost makes me want to take a chance and buy one and then hope it's damaged. :D

mmbirtcher

Observer
I quite like our SkyRise, and that’s a great price you got! I drilled out the rivers holding those straps on and added quality side release buckles, makes everything easier and the Velcro never holds when wet/dirty/etc.
I also ran two long straps over the top of the cover parallel to the ladder to help keep the cover down snug, seemed to stop some of the flapping!
Enjoy!
Do you have a picture of the replacement straps / buckles that you used to replace the Velcro?

NevadaMike

I just outfitted this trailer for the Yakima Skyrise 3 today. I did not get the deal you did but I was out the door for $800. It looks like a solid tent for the money so today I installed a Home Depot truck rack and repositioned my trailer axle under the springs. We plan on carrying kayaks, bikes and other fun stuff. This is my first post here!

ITTOG

I just outfitted this trailer for the Yakima Skyrise 3 today. I did not get the deal you did but I was out the door for $800. It looks like a solid tent for the money so today I installed a Home Depot truck rack and repositioned my trailer axle under the springs. We plan on carrying kayaks, bikes and other fun stuff. This is my first post here!

View attachment 507151
Welcome

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier