Yakima

mindfield

I have these Yakima places and screwed into my hard top (the Jeep came like this) there’s no crossbars or anything else though? What are these good for? What would I need to be able to put a tent up or even just short term rack for additional storage or to add an awning?

Attachments

• 54F3DFFA-9421-4E19-8531-21765B1E0A98.jpeg
    54F3DFFA-9421-4E19-8531-21765B1E0A98.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 8B9C8463-1815-4405-BF00-B887E32F26AA.jpeg
    8B9C8463-1815-4405-BF00-B887E32F26AA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 953DD922-05FC-42E9-BD30-3B8F15F0AB40.jpeg
    953DD922-05FC-42E9-BD30-3B8F15F0AB40.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 23

MiamiC70

Those are Yakima Landing pads. You would need to buy their Skyline Towers for your car. Then you could mount bars, baskets, platforms etc...

BTW 20% sale going on right now on Yakima.

dstock

Explorer
If the Yakima Landing pads are just screwed into the hardtop with no support underneath, I would not mount anything of significant weight to the roof, especially not a roof top tent.

jeepers29

As stock said, these will not support a lot of weight if they are not supported internally via the roll cage.

MiamiC70

If the Yakima Landing pads are just screwed into the hardtop with no support underneath, I would not mount anything of significant weight to the roof, especially not a roof top tent.
Yakima typically has them use existing OEM vehicle rails or crossbar mounting points.

mindfield

so this is what it looks like. What’s your thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15

dstock

Explorer
Looks like they are just mounted to the hard top. I should just get rid of these
Yeah, I would get rid of them. If you want something that can support a RTT you should look at the Rhino Rack Backbone system or any rack that transfers the load to the frame or rollbar in the Jeep.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mindfield

Yeah, I would get rid of them. If you want something that can support a RTT you should look at the Rhino Rack Backbone system or any rack that transfers the load to the frame or rollbar in the Jeep.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah good idea. What do they do about the drilled holes in the top then?

dstock

Explorer
Yeah good idea. What do they do about the drilled holes in the top then?

You'd have to plug them or just leave them in place. If you went with the RhinoRack system I don't believe they would interfere with the install as they appear to be much further in board of where the RhinoRack mounts.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Your pads might be set up on the strongest part of your roof. Years ago, we used to put "tracks" on vehicles that weren't set up for sport racks. Yakima used to have instructions for each vehicle they supported as to exactly where to place the tracks so the roll cage of the roof would support them.

You might want to check in and send an email to Yakima's field engineering to confirm the location of your pads are in the sweet spot.

MiamiC70

Your pads might be set up on the strongest part of your roof. Years ago, we used to put "tracks" on vehicles that weren't set up for sport racks. Yakima used to have instructions for each vehicle they supported as to exactly where to place the tracks so the roll cage of the roof would support them.

You might want to check in and send an email to Yakima's field engineering to confirm the location of your pads are in the sweet spot.
That is the best suggestion so far. Reach out to Yakima, their customer service is excellent and they should be able to answer the question definitely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior