Yetti's 2007 Outfitter Apex project.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thank you Jack! It really was a trade off,and I can get a lot of fuel for the money I saved. I was able to average 10mpg if I kept it at 70ish. I never had any trouble with it pourposing except for once, but I was driving against 30+MPH cross and head wind the entire 4 hour drive. I'm thinking some sort of " V" under it to direct air flow. But I don't want a permanent install either. I have not quite figured it out yet.

Exactly. As far as a non-permanent wind solution, you could do what I did with the FWC and use some Yakima (your choice) towers with a crossbar to mount a deflector to. It went on with the camper and off when the camper was off.

Thanksgiving%20trip%202012%20005-XL.jpg

Thanksgiving%20trip%202012%20041-XL.jpg

I built mine out of some scrap wood I had lying around as a proof of concept and of course I never changed it... It gave me 1mpg back. I know your camper is much farther forward than my FWC was, but you might be able to figure something out.

Also, you could rig up some kind of rack over the cab to hold to chairs, a table, recovery gear, whatever. It would be a good out of the way place and a way to use the otherwise dead area. Just a thought.

Jack

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Exactly. As far as a non-permanent wind solution, you could do what I did with the FWC and use some Yakima (your choice) towers with a crossbar to mount a deflector to. It went on with the camper and off when the camper was off.

Thanksgiving%20trip%202012%20005-XL.jpg

Thanksgiving%20trip%202012%20041-XL.jpg

I built mine out of some scrap wood I had lying around as a proof of concept and of course I never changed it... It gave me 1mpg back. I know your camper is much farther forward than my FWC was, but you might be able to figure something out.

Also, you could rig up some kind of rack over the cab to hold to chairs, a table, recovery gear, whatever. It would be a good out of the way place and a way to use the otherwise dead area. Just a thought.

Jack
Jack, thats a great idea!! You must of used these-

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012SFK8...0-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp_aapi1

https://www.yakima.com/q-towers-4-pack

I take it you liked the way it all worked out? I will look into this as an option, and see what I can make happen. Like you said mine is more forward above the cab, but i could do something with a wedge, or V shape I think. Im not sure just a fairing would work as well in this set up.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I believe those were the ones. Pretty much fit all GMT800 series vehicles, so that should be the ones.

I did. It made having the camper quieter and kept more of the bugs off of the front of camper as well.

I'm sure you can figure something out. Of course, you needed another project. :D

Jack

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Jack,

haha right!?!? sometimes I think if i did not want a perma-project I would not drive a pickup with 240k miles, and got this camper. We have been in the high triple digits here so have not dome much. it was 106 Monday. I dont like the heat so its been slow in the project dept. I did add a keyless entry lock to the rear door though. Same on I have been using on my Fifth wheel i full time n. I will try and add a picture of that. And have been buggering with the dang three way fridge, she is pretty temperamental on the propane setting. Also probably just needs cleaned better.

I've thought about that keyless lock, but it seems pretty big, not sure it will fit on my door. I think the window on my door overlaps the latch position. Any issues with aligning it in the frame?

The Torklifts are great

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I've thought about that keyless lock, but it seems pretty big, not sure it will fit on my door. I think the window on my door overlaps the latch position. Any issues with aligning it in the frame?

The Torklifts are great

Hopeless Diamond-

No the install is super easy, i really did it all in 10mins with only my leather man. It takes some wiggling to get it in. This was my second one, im not sure what your door looks like. The one on my fiver has a full glass door and i used the same model. This model is the smallest one though. The only bad thing about them is the price... they do have a few great sales a year though. I bought both mine a year apart on a memorial or fourth of July 25%of sale.

https://www.rvlock.com/

Noteworthy though, they have a tone when the lock an unlock I dont like, but one could cut the wire to the speaker. And also the keypad does not have the number 9 or 0.

Yeah Torklift sent me an entire set brand new under warranty. They have amazing customer service, made me a customer for life.
this one is on my fiver.-
IMG_20180720_0621379.jpg

What's the actual length from the edge of the door frame to the far side of the lock keypad? I think my door window frame is just too close to the edge for it to fit. Too bad because I'd really like to not have to worry about keys if the wife or somebody with us needed to get in.

Yeah, Torklift is actually pretty nearby to me and I've gone there a couple of times for things and they hooked me right up.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Hopeless Diamond, I will get measurements this weekend for you. Yeah, I was amazed i just wanted to buy the components and rebuild them myself. And they replaced, even though it was all purchased used. Amazing company

I should also add, I did replace all the lights that had not been, with at least LED bulbs. I currently have 250 amp/hr capacity on the batteries. It had two 6volt golf cart batteries in it.

Id like to add 200-300 watts of Solar at some point, and probably a 12 volt fridge. Currently planning on sticking with the 3way until it goes out. But having some trouble with the propane portion of it.

I will get the replacement cabinet doors for the missing ones from the factory.

Ill add another vent cover, but for the front.

Add another layer of sealant on the underside. In addition to a new cover for the rear overhang, again probably just wood as i have lots of it.

Id like to replace the corner caps

and ill add a better drain on the water heater, just to make care easier. A full time in a fifth wheel, so some of this stuff is coming from my experience with that.

I think at this point thats all im going to do to it.....I think... aside from maintenance

It has an Anderson connection in the back for quicker charging from my truck.

eblau

Adventurer
I looked at an outfitter a few years ago out here in VA. They are pretty rare in my area so I rushed there expecting a decent unit. What I saw was something in even worse shape than yours! How someone manages to screw up a $25k++ camper in less than a decade is beyond me but one of their "fixes" for a leaky section of roof in the cab over area was to fill the storage compartment below the bed with kitty litter! I guess that figured it was going to dry??

Looks like you have salvaged what would have been a total loss if left in the hands of the hipsters for another couple of years!

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Eblau-

I had never seen one here either. Wow, that seems like something this guy would of done. Sure, just fill it sand..

He had a brand new 2018 Chevy crew cab long bed dully, loaded. with another brand new Adventurer truck camper with a slide out. After talking to him, he thought of them as just disposable. Making the comment about how all rvs are made bad, and he wanted to get 8 years out of the new set!!!! Just crazy, Him and has wife had three kids and one big golden retriever. They did get used thats for sure.

And well yes, some are made better than others, a little care goes a long way. I was worried at first, but I am happy with the purchase now. Especially for the price, and I have always wanted one. Its not perfect but will do just fine.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
So i did a few more things this weekend, I replaced the drivers side rear jack, as it was failing. I replaced the motor first before i realized the jack was striping out, no worries though i ( or someone) will at some point need a motor for one. And today at work the replacement cabinet doors came in, for those that were missing. So ill try and get those installed this week, and the Plate came in the mail so I will get that mounted as well.

IMG_20180820_1323150.jpgIMG_20180820_1323199.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Hopeless Diamond, I still have not forgotten at least not complete to get you those measurements.

So yesterday, I installed the new cabinet doors and bedding.

IMG_20180821_1645205.jpgIMG_20180821_1658297.jpg

I also am having trouble with wasps building nests in everything, so installed wasp screens on everything.....they will not be coming off. And will do the same for the fridge when the rest of its parts get here. I used self taping screws to attach them, and apparently forgot to take that picture.

I also installed the License plate - That should not be required, but am now stuck with having to do it- so when in Rome....Thanks Oregon. Yes its screwed to the ladder its self- also wont be coming off easy. And the new jack you can see there.

IMG_20180821_1659065.jpg

I also added the vent covers, I like to be able to have them open on the road, or even during a storm.

IMG_20180821_1702214.jpg

The roof I will reseal this weekend, and add another coat of flexseal to the bottom of it.

I am currently working as a risk manager, and saw this in my parking lot.........." special" employees will be the death of me ..

IMG_20180821_1459332.jpg

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Wow! That is next level effort to create something so dangerous. As a guy once told a buddy, they really shouldn't sell welders at Home Depot...

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online