Yetti's 2009 V strom 650

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Well after a trip though Patagonia on a KLR 650 in November, Turned out I was hooked on moto's.
Picked up this 2009 V strom 650, with 30k miles, she has been meticulously well taken care of, after picking it up last Thursday I have been riding every day since,

It is well outfitted, I dont plan on changing much, ill add barkbuster hand-guards. Maybe some taller front crash guards, and aux lighting. Although the stock lights are pretty great.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have been exceptionally happy with it, and find myself finding any excuse to ride. I bought it from a relative, who ad not ridden it much in the last few years. ( <1k miles) This weeks weather has been putting a damper on it, although i may go home at lunch and pick it up. The scary part about used, is it *can be hard to tell how well taken care of something was. I got it at a screaming deal $2500, I actually tried to bargain for a higher price as i felt kinda guilty. But he would not have it. I have not? must be a V strom forum of sorts?

robert

Expedition Leader
I miss mine.

The factory suspension is pretty meh though- if you want to make a big improvement, get it sprung for your riding weight (including your average load). Add some Race Tech springs, recommended weight oil and cartridge emulators in the forks along with a brace and a better spring in the rear and it'll surprise you. Race Tech's customer service was very good when I talked to them years ago, I assume they still are. If you don't know how to set up the bike's suspension yourself, it is definitely worth it to go to someone who does and have them tune it for your riding style, weight and load.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have been using the BILT Techno modular Bluetooth helmet,

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-techno-20-sena-bluetooth-modular-helmet

The music, phone and intercom functionality work well- almost seamlessly. My brother and I were able to talk with each other but when out of site, ( think around a big corner) and about a range of 100 meters.

It plays whatever custom tones you have set, example on the ride to work today a txt message came in and said " work message" as the phone was programmed to do. When talking with someone on the phone, they have not had trouble hearing me nor I them.

It has three vents, two on top and one chin. Recently one of the top vents broke, ( not thrilled about this, as it was in its bag at the time). it is not a replaceable part, and unfortunately cycle gear in Seattle was not helpful, but simply offered me 15% off of a new helmet if i traded my old one in. As that was the current promotion. This was purchased from the Portland cycle gear store in October of last year. And has about 3500 miles on it.

That being said, this did survive a few decent off bike experiences. A few on gravel at about 30mph, ( Caratera Austral) and one at a out 40mph on pavement. Those im sure had an effect on the strength of the top vents.

It is Modular, so has the flip up face peace, as well as visor and built in flip down sun shade. I have been happy with it, and will replace it in kind when the time comes, but for a $240 helmet, want to get some solid timeout of it.

The chin strap is a little frayed, i am guessing from my stubble when riding on vacation, as I have to remain clean shaven all other times.

I have worn it in torrential down pour and wind, rain, cold, and heat. It sealed well in all but the most ( about 8 hour day of wind and rain) where the top of the visor would send a drip down the inside about once every 10 mins.

I went with cycle gear for their legendary customer service and warranty. As the closest store to me, is over 3 hours away in Portland. The Portland store i went too ( they have a few) was great.

If anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask,

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
My new ridding jacket, it's also armored. I hope its does well in the heat, but if not I have my other for that.
3d345ea111a94ef1a7bdff74efc8bf74.jpg

Sent from somewhere remote on my BlackBerry

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thank you! I have not given much thought w/ towing and the camper on. I am kinda freaked out by the hitch extensions, its not out of the realm of possibility though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier