"You Can't Get There From Here"; A Definition - Mitch's North Maine Woods Trip Report

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Epic. Thanks for sharing. I grew up in Hudson NH, and love what NH and Maine have to offer as far as seclusion and "Yankee ingenuity".

NHMachinist

Thanks for sharing . I am a lifelong NH resident and have snowmobiled the area but have never explored it during the warmer months.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Great report. I grew up in Upstate NY. Although not that comparable, except the Adirondacks, is was close enough to jog the memory. And I did get do a too short trip through the North Maine Woods about 1979.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R4D4R

Great write up. Is that the Kelly Dam rd that you took out of NMW towards 201/Jackman? I had read in the past few years that the gate there was closed and that route in/out was impassible. Would like to hear some of the specifics on that area of the route.

XJlimitedx99

Great write up. Is that the Kelly Dam rd that you took out of NMW towards 201/Jackman? I had read in the past few years that the gate there was closed and that route in/out was impassible. Would like to hear some of the specifics on that area of the route.

Yes, that was Kelly Dam Rd. I also recall reading some talk of land owner disputes in that area and someone refusing to repair a bridge, but that has all been resolved. Kelly Dam Rd is open and passable. Just need to be sure to have paperwork and payment squared away before you get to the electronic gate if you're coming in. There is just a solar-powered phone to communicate with NMW staff. Coming out that way was easy. Just had to call and say we're leaving.

---------------------------------------------

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I'm very happy to see this report has been received well. I hope to see some posts from you all about your trips up there!

R4D4R

Nice. Thanks for the recon. The times Ive been up to NMW, I went to the trains through Telos and 20 Mile. Always wanted to check out the western area by the border but since I thought that gate was closed/impassible, seemed like a bit too far to go. From Jackman, that is a bit more accessible. The NMW wall map shows it as closed too. Good to know!

ThundahBeagle

Nice write-up, XJ. I've been wavering, should I fix up my old 99 WJ and do a run like this, or junk it and stay with my 14 Sierra. This makes me think twice.

A lot of those roads and trails look plenty wide enough for a mostly stock full size pickup. That maybe I could get into and out of a lot of those areas with some sporadic backtracks to wider roads, or what do you think, having been there?

R4D4R

A FSPU should have no issue with most of the roads in and around there, assuming they are dry, especially on the main and mostly secondary haul roads. Once you get off into the more tertiary roads, youre on your own.

XJlimitedx99

The NMW wall map shows it as closed too.

I found the wall map PDF to be very outdated. The DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer paper map is the only map resource I found to be remotely accurate. And even then... Be sure to have the most recent edition.

A lot of those roads and trails look plenty wide enough for a mostly stock full size pickup. That maybe I could get into and out of a lot of those areas with some sporadic backtracks to wider roads, or what do you think, having been there?

A FSPU should have no issue with most of the roads in and around there, assuming they are dry, especially on the main and mostly secondary haul roads. Once you get off into the more tertiary roads, youre on your own.

I'll second this. Unless you're really looking to get into some rough, a stock full sized truck will do most anything out there. Probably the only things you'd want are some decent all-terrain tires, and be aware of clearance issues over culverts, pot holes, etc. Also probably be prepared to get some pinstriping from brush.

R4D4R

I found the wall map PDF to be very outdated. The DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer paper map is the only map resource I found to be remotely accurate. And even then... Be sure to have the most recent edition.

I think my Delorme from maybe 2018 also had it blocked as well. I was up there in Jackman area last summer and didnt want to risk the drive in only to see it blocked. Either way, good to know its open again

ThundahBeagle

I have Mass, NH, and some other Gazetteers but not the Maine one. Looks l like an excuse to hit Kittery Trading Post this weekend

NMBruce

Adventurer
Very nice, great pictures. Living out west, this makes we want to take a trip to NE, maybe I can do this or parts when I plan my trip to Goosebay/Happy Valley.

Do you have a GPS track of the trip, maybe Gaia?

grizzlypath

Fantastic trip report, thanks for taking the time to share the story with us! I grew up in AK and have never been to the Northeast, but would love to visit one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles