Your Choice: 2012 Overland SUV of the Year?

2012 Overland SUV of the Year: Members Choice

• Chevrolet Tahoe

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Ford Expedition

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Votes: 63 30.0%
  • Land Rover LR4 (Discovery 4)

Votes: 26 12.4%
  • Land Rover Range Rover MKIII

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Lexus GX460

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Mercedes G-Wagon Gelandewagen

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Nissan Xterra

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • Toyota FJ Cruiser

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Toyota Land Cruiser 200

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • Toyota Sequoia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ronct110

Adventurer
OK, I'll take a run at this. I'd buy the LR4. With the seats down, almost a perfectly level Queen Size Bed if you have to sleep out. With the GVWR over 6,000 lbs, it qualifies as a capital expense for business. Very easy daily driver. It can take one to any social event. Stripped with just the HD Package, it's just over $50K MSRP.

My bet is on the LR4 as Overland's pick too, but maybe because LR is winning awards these days for reliability, or maybe because I saw a video on YT with there badging all over it...

Ditto. Voting for the LR4.

GHR

Observer
Almost all will work well and more than meet most people's needs, but then an expert built the list.

I voted Toyota 4Runner Trail, but it was close. It was strong in all the criteria, and a few simple mods will make it very trail worthy. The Jeep Rubicon Unlimited undoubtedly the best from a technical perspective, and would lead at least for me but I still see reliability concerns (Pentastar issue in the 2012's as an example) though I think they are overstated and perhaps outdated. The LR4 would be my pure favorite but so much reliance on technology, the lack of dealership,support in many small cities (at least here in Canada a LR dealer is often a long way away, but almost every city has a Toyota or Nissan dealer), LC would be perhaps best overall choice but both it and the LR too pricey for most. The Xterra was a very close 2nd for reasons others have noted, and I suspect if they do a model refresh soon it could lead a new list. So top 3 for me was Toyota 4Runner Trail, Xterra Pro 4X and then Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, but so close.

Last edited:

Project510

Adventurer
I do not have any ownership experience with Jeep Rubicon or 4Runner but I would have to go with the Jeep, and the 4Runner a close 2nd. You do get more in stock form with the Jeep, albeit at a higher price.. but if you were to upgrade the 4Runner then they would almost equal each other out. The jeep having the advantage of Solid axles FR/R.

I would be so lucky to have either!

roving

Observer
I'm voting for the LR4. I want one. I'm probably going to buy an LR3 this summer though, to replace my worn out Range Rover P38. I love land rovers and will continue to own one.

jkDave

I've got to vote for the JKU Rubi. Stock armor underneath, stock disconnects, stock lockers, ample passenger room and storage. I just can't imagine much this can't handle. I do own one, so there could be a personal bias. Of course I did consider all of these factors when I got it.

elee

Observer
Only downside to the Jeep JKU Rubi is the fuel range. It is really pathetic. My Z71 Silverado with a 5.3 and a camper shell packed to the gills, and with 3 people easily traveled over 325miles all highway with a 3/4 tank of gas. The 12' JKU Rubi Traveling with me only had a couple suit cases and 4 people and had the fuel light on when we stopped to fill up.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: So would I-

My JKUR is at the payload weight, before I start to add a load--sometimes another 800lbs and then tow my trailer--for total GVW at close to 6900 lbs

Course, mines pretty old-2008 !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

elee

Observer
The Toyota 4runner Trail Edition does it for me. Affordable, Capable, Nice weight ratings, and you can bring friends without them having to hold stuff in there laps.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Good choice-

The Toyota 4runner Trail Edition does it for me. Affordable, Capable, Nice weight ratings, and you can bring friends without them having to hold stuff in there laps.

You evidentally know more about the 4runner than you do the JKUR-

Be happy--don't worry

elee

Observer

You evidentally know more about the 4runner than you do the JKUR-

Don't get me wrong I love the JKUR, but it takes an engineer to figure out how to manage 3 golf club bags with the rear seat up. My buddies JKUR will go and I mean all you have to do is point it, but the amount of space is just not enough sometimes.

elee

Observer

You evidentally know more about the 4runner than you do the JKUR- -QUOTE-

Don't get me wrong I love the JKUR, but it takes an engineer to figure out how to manage 3 golf club bags with the rear seat up. My buddies JKUR will go and I mean all you have to do is point it, but the amount of space is just not enough sometimes.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, OK-I can digit-

You evidentally know more about the 4runner than you do the JKUR- -QUOTE-

I understand your point of view, it's just that after 4 years, I've learned to take advantage of the available space, including the overhead and by using RAINGLER nets-I carry tarps/blankets/rainclothes and coats, in the cargo area overhead--lotta room up there-

I can carry everything I need--except--

----GOLF BAGS---:snorkel:

Merry Christmas-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste