Your opinion please.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Hello,

I am considering to buy a 1993 Itasca Sunrise, model ICF23RC.
Although nicely equipped, affordable price and very low mileage,
it was kept outside in the S. Californian sun.

My fear is the damage the sun and heat caused to the pipes, wires and structure.
I checked the tires and the sides are dry and cracked.
It's obvious it needs a new set (6).

I am planning long distances not local boondocking.

Should I look for something newer?

Thanks

Last edited:

nathane

Is it cheap?

Are you willing to work on it to replace stuff that is worn out?

I think sun is different to heat in terms of degradation (but I'm from England so I don't get much of either ?)

Tyres could be UV degraded. I think its unlikely internal wiring or piping would be damaged by heat significantly more than they would be in other states. However I suspect that getting to wiring and plumbing in a vehicle like that to DIY won't be easy if it is needed.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Do you really need a big class A like that? I bet you get about 6 miles per gallon out of that. On a good day! If you are wanting to go long distances, you’d better have deep pockets.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Do you really need a big class A like that? I bet you get about 6 miles per gallon out of that. On a good day! If you are wanting to go long distances, you’d better have deep pockets.

Its a 23 feet on a Chevy chasis with an 545 engine big block.
It is 6mpg?? I am not towing anything,

Do you mean 454? Yup...6 mpg all day long, running solo, towing, doesn’t matter. Class C would be a bit better but not by much. You don’t buy these for their fuel efficiency. You buy them because they’re fun to go glamping with. We have a Class A with a Ford V-10. Same issue.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Do you mean 454? Yup...6 mpg all day long, running solo, towing, doesn’t matter. Class C would be a bit better but not by much. You don’t buy these for their fuel efficiency. You buy them because they’re fun to go glamping with. We have a Class A with a Ford V-10. Same issue.

Chevrolet chassis with a 454 V8 engine.
Is it a reliable engine?

Yup. That engine (along with the excellent 8.1) was found in tens of thousands of RVs over the years. But a large portion of reliability is up to the driver through maintenance and mechanical sympathy IMO.

Edit: you will be having a mechanic look it over, right!?

yzeevy

Adventurer
Yup. That engine (along with the excellent 8.1) was found in tens of thousands of RVs over the years. But a large portion of reliability is up to the driver through maintenance and mechanical sympathy IMO.

Edit: you will be having a mechanic look it over, right!?

And what do you think about 26 years of parking in the sun?

You asked, so here’s my long winded response. With an RV, it’s not necessarily the miles, it’s the years. You mentioned that it’s low miles, which means it has sat a lot. There are two “mechanicals” to worry about: the chassis (engine, suspension, frame) and the house (structure, roof, appliances). Sitting may or may not affect the chassis, although you’ll need 7 (including a spare) new tires immediately. They ain’t cheap. You’ll want to have a mechanic attend to all the usuals, oil, trans fluid, coolant, AC, power steering, belts, etc.

The house portion needs a keen eye to check it out. #1, does the roof leak? A hose will go a long way towards checking that out. Rigs that old (not covered and kept in the sun) will inevitably leak, at least at the points where old caulking is used to seal vents, etc. Those are easy to fix, tears or holes in the material not as easy. Are there any signs of leakage on the interior walls? Stains, bubbling and bulging particularly at the ceiling joints are telltale signs. Check around the windows. Now the appliances: I’ll assume it has a 3-way fridge. How long does it take to come down to temp on propane? Does it work on 110 and 12v, although I think propane works better on those absorption units. Do the burners and oven (if equipped) work? Check out the electrical systems, both 12v and 110. Will it need a new battery (either a single 12v or better yet, 2-6v deep cycle batteries)? And onto the water system. Does it run freely without leaks, regardless of whether you’re using the 12v pump or connected to the city source. How about the water heater? Does the shower work? And of course, the real reason we buy these things: the toilet. How does it look? Leak? And you’ll want to make sure the black and gray tanks are in good shape.

Have I scared you off yet? ??? You mention that you won’t be working on it yourself. If that’s the case, then here is my recommendation: find yourself a mobile RV repair service that is willing to survey the rig, they’re out there. They may not actually recommend the rig one way or another but can give you a pretty good idea of the condition of the rig. Then you’ll have the data you need to make an informed decision. We bought an ‘04 Fleetwood Fiesta in ‘08 with 80k miles on it. I was less concerned with the mileage and more concerned about whether it had been sitting. Other than a blowout (lesson learned) there have been no chassis issues. There have been house issues which I have had to deal with, cussing involved, but they were to be expected. We’ve had a ton of fun with it, dragging motorcycles out to the desert and just hanging at the beach. Good luck.

yzeevy

Adventurer
You asked, so here’s my long winded response. With an RV, it’s not necessarily the miles, it’s the years. You mentioned that it’s low miles, which means it has sat a lot. There are two “mechanicals” to worry about: the chassis (engine, suspension, frame) and the house (structure, roof, appliances). Sitting may or may not affect the chassis, although you’ll need 7 (including a spare) new tires immediately. They ain’t cheap. You’ll want to have a mechanic attend to all the usuals, oil, trans fluid, coolant, AC, power steering, belts, etc.

The house portion needs a keen eye to check it out. #1, does the roof leak? A hose will go a long way towards checking that out. Rigs that old (not covered and kept in the sun) will inevitably leak, at least at the points where old caulking is used to seal vents, etc. Those are easy to fix, tears or holes in the material not as easy. Are there any signs of leakage on the interior walls? Stains, bubbling and bulging particularly at the ceiling joints are telltale signs. Check around the windows. Now the appliances: I’ll assume it has a 3-way fridge. How long does it take to come down to temp on propane? Does it work on 110 and 12v, although I think propane works better on those absorption units. Do the burners and oven (if equipped) work? Check out the electrical systems, both 12v and 110. Will it need a new battery (either a single 12v or better yet, 2-6v deep cycle batteries)? And onto the water system. Does it run freely without leaks, regardless of whether you’re using the 12v pump or connected to the city source. How about the water heater? Does the shower work? And of course, the real reason we buy these things: the toilet. How does it look? Leak? And you’ll want to make sure the black and gray tanks are in good shape.

Have I scared you off yet? ??? You mention that you won’t be working on it yourself. If that’s the case, then here is my recommendation: find yourself a mobile RV repair service that is willing to survey the rig, they’re out there. They may not actually recommend the rig one way or another but can give you a pretty good idea of the condition of the rig. Then you’ll have the data you need to make an informed decision. We bought an ‘04 Fleetwood Fiesta in ‘08 with 80k miles on it. I was less concerned with the mileage and more concerned about whether it had been sitting. Other than a blowout (lesson learned) there have been no chassis issues. There have been house issues which I have had to deal with, cussing involved, but they were to be expected. We’ve had a ton of fun with it, dragging motorcycles out to the desert and just hanging at the beach. Good luck.

You actually described in details what I said above "My fear is the damage the sun and heat caused to the pipes, wires and structure."

With the money I might have to put in it I should look for something newer .

Thanks

azken

Observer
Suggest doing a very close check on all the wiring..engine AND house..favorite snack for mice and pack rats..that rig may be especially vulnerable by sitting outside for all that time.

billiebob

Chevrolet chassis with a 454 V8 engine.
Is it a reliable engine?
It is almost 30 years old.
It is a used car.
Anything can happen and garage/mechanic rates are not cheap.
If hes asking more than $1K you best be ready to take a loss.

How much will you use it?
Like drive it to a permanent campsite, drive home 2 weeks later? or
Are you planning on touring with it, more than 100 miles every day.
Be sure your AAA is paid and has an RV endorsement.

billiebob

And what do you think about 26 years of parking in the sun?
Is the roof cracked?

Do all the appliances work?
Is the propane system current?
Does the genset run?
Is the AC cold, both the rooftop init and the dash AC.
Is there a musty or fresh smell inside.
Have you opened every door, cupboard, storage space?

And get a full mechanical inspection.
What will your MotorVehicles require to license it?
Will it need an emissions test?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior