Your (read everyone) opinion on value

mattyak

first off hello. new to the board. love it already. like minded monty people!

secondly im on the hunt for my third montero.

1st was a gen 1 swb. died three times. resurrected twice. was a sad day when she was put out of her misery.
2nd was a gen II. rolled it at 190k gave it away at 213k. miss that lady. tell you what, they dont roll as easily as one would think.

found a mid 90's sr with less than 100k. pretty good shape, interior is a little rough but thats ok with me. i have access to all the mechanical records and everything big and small has been done accordingly.

what do you ladies and gents think something like this is worth? I was asked to make an offer. high ball and low ball. what do you think?

thanks,
matty

off-roader

Expedition Leader
What's the market like for Montero's or for that matter Mitsubishi's there?

For example, in the San Francisco Bay Area where gas prices are ~$4.00-4.40/gal (premium unleaded recommended for the SR's) most buyers prefer greater gas mileage and accessory bling over vehicle functionality like you get with a Montero so they don't sell that well here & you can get an excellent deal on one.

I bought my 96SR (granted the engine had been replaced with a used one and it had 200K miles) for a screaming deal @ $1500 in Jan of 2009.

mattyak

clem and off-roader, thanks.

im at the stage where i know i want an sr. the locker is worth the extra $. i know how capable these rigs are without the locker and have enjoyed many miles in them.

as of right now im deciding on weather i really want to part with 4 grand. or wait. the low miles and awesome vehicle records are a definite plus.

red87

Adventurer
I just picked up my 96 SR with 146k on it for $4100 out the door from a dealership in Novato. That price seemed pretty fair

off-roader

Expedition Leader
clem and off-roader, thanks.

im at the stage where i know i want an sr. the locker is worth the extra $. i know how capable these rigs are without the locker and have enjoyed many miles in them.

as of right now im deciding on weather i really want to part with 4 grand. or wait. the low miles and awesome vehicle records are a definite plus.

yes, $4000 isn't bad and it's cheap payments that can be paid within a year if you finance it and double/tripple up on your monthly payment putting the extra towards the principle.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well I really like my 89 SWB with 111K on it. I also picked up another like it just for parts. Mine has some front fenders eaten with rust behind the front wheels and some rust on the under side, the other is missing the hood and front fenders and appears to be rust free, and a rebuilt lower end engine, so between the two thought a good one could come out of it.

I do like mine and it gets great milage (22mpg on the highway) but reality is setting in. I'm not a mechanic, why did I do that? Not that it needs work, but I'm not going to rebuild the two.

I went about 300 miles to buy mine as the sale started off ebay. The seller really lied big time, asking over 2K for the driver. He mentioned slight rust and that it would be repaired. We talked on the phone and he pulled it off ebay and he said I could get the parts car. I rented a trailer and took off. It was cold and getting dark when I got there and drove it. It drove fine and saw the rust issue on the fenders and we loaded the other car up and off I went. Next day I crawled under and actually saw what repair he had done on the frame, a spot weld of plate steel over a rusted out spot.

In my area, $2,000 won't buy miuch of a 4x4 anyway, so I think I got a great interior, spotless with little wear, 111K on the vehicle so it's mechanically strong, runs great and good milage for a 4x4, but the down side is the rust, guess it's a trade off. Could have gotten a solid body and have a bad engine or other major mechanical issue. While it's probably not the deal of the year, I'm not hurt, but my neighbor is not pleased with the parts car out there with a car cover over it. :coffeedrink:

mattyak

negotiations in place.

i have had numerous chats with the seller and we have gone over all of the service records and everything seems to be in order. i can like that.

i have a friend taking it for a cruise tomorrow as im in the wrong state:(
he has a nice big check list of things to look at

ive got hi hopes. cant wait to be drivin a monty again:wings:

mattyak

just purchased

well, i just picked up my third monty.

'95 sr. 94,000k. all maintenance records and original dealer window sticker from '95 included. whoooooo:victory:

now to plan ahead and start looking for some bigger shoes.....

life is good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior