Yukon Cornelius and the Bumble.

Catsmith

Hi everybody. Have been reading/drooling here for a while. Retired Air Force, still working on base, wife is 100 miles away taking care of her Father with Alzheimer's. I spend every moment I can with her but driving back and forth sucks. For the first 6 months I had my travel trailer hooked up at a campsite. Only sleeping there half the nights, made 500$ a month hard to stomach.

Thought about building a teardrop to pull back and forth but that would have been 20$ a night and the cost of the teardrop. When you figure the cubic foot in a 4x8 teardrop against the Yukon XL.....more space and it is paid for.

I can sleep in the yukon anywhere but if i want electric for heat, Tent sites are 4$ a night. Now we are cooking with fire.

I do not want to change the appearance or towing capacity. The 2500 yukon (Yukon Cornelius) first duty is towing our 34ft silver avion (the abominable snowman, Bumble for short). "Everybody knows Bumbles bounce!". (Think airstream.). So load range e tires will stay, suspension etc will stay.

So far, I have plasti-dip sprayed the rear side windows, took out the second and third rear row seats, built a really cool drawer system with skate bearings that I didn't like for sleeping so I took it out and sleep on a cot...... Bought parts for dual battery, computer fans for window fan, a cheap electric heater and new extension cord for cold nights, and very little else.

Future plans are for solar inconspicuously mounted on top, some kind of panel for 12v in back, a few lights and whatever else comes.

Here is my problem/blessing......I love simple. Simple is great. Me and simple get along famously.

So, Everytime I plan a set of shelves, storage, way cool widgit.....I think, I'm fine without it.

Now I realize that may not make me the owner of the coolest rig with all the best tech, gadgets, gizmo laden apocalyptic ready ride but.......did I mention I like simple?

So anywho...I am going to figure out how to slay the beast that protects the forum picture porthole and show you what I have so far.

You are gonna have to be a far better heckler that a meer mortal heckler to hurt my feelings. Please feel free to agree, disagree, call me a moron, I can take it.

Oh yeah, thanks for letting me join up here

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Love the name.

I also agree: simple is perfect. I like looking at all these cool, complex builds. But in all honesty, I'm fine with a simple build for myself.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Simple is good. I think the same way. When I camp with the wife we have a travel trailer but I have to say it's a lot of work. Lots of "systems" to keep running (electrical, water, heat, AC, etc.) Seems like there's always something to fiddle with.
When I'm by myself it's just me on a sleeping pad in the back of the 'Burb. Simple white gas stove for cooking, no gourmet meals. Complexity is a time thief and I value my time too much to dribble it away on complexity.
Would love to see pics of your truck and your Avion! Those are gorgeous trailers!

Catsmith

The Bumble.

20161022184026_IMG_0476.jpg

Here is the Bumble. 1984 34'Avion. Split axle suspension. Probably pushing 9000lbs. Built like a tank. Real wood cabinets. Original all except the AC and Fridge. Out side wall have no wood. Aluminum walls and studs.

They were top of the class in their day.

js9234

Observer
Fellow Airman(Ammo Troop) here... I retire from the Air Force in 1 yr, 11 mo, and 8 days lol Can't wait to start traveling full time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior