Zam15’s Tacoma Build

Zam15

Explorer
Carrier bearing was toast as well, should help with any vibrations and keep everything in place off-road.

44803726805_8ff711d90b_h.jpg

Zam15

Explorer
The parts keep coming and they don't stop coming...

18 Gallon tank to go between the wheel wells. Not a ton but enough for a handful of quick showers and dishes. Hope to get it installed in the next week or two.

Have everything minus the heat exchange, still trying to decide on what to go with.

Getting the frame layout for the bed platform, looks good so far. Will likely add some vertical supports as well, either on the side or middle.

Going to keep it level with the wheel wells to get the most amount of space up top and keep it relatively low.

Hope to have everything above deck a little more dust tight.

Need to pickup some marine grade plywood and then I can start organizing!

Should give me a good amount of cubby space!

32474213838_93d6ef8ef4_b.jpg

Also have some new rear springs on order, hope to get them swapped out before Christmas. Should help with the weight I've been adding and they'll match the front now! Silver vs Black

Current
14" x 250Lbs Upper
18" x 400Lbs Lower

New
16"x 300Lbs Upper
18" x 400Lbs Lower

Ideally you want 50-100 Lb spring rate separation on a dual rate coil-over, 150lb max separation. So this should get me closer to an ideal setup.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
T

Ditched the useless clock that they Toyota decided to place behind the steering wheel.
44961383084_e5addbbaf5_h.jpg

Mounted an A pillar gauge pod, thinking boost/trans temp and oil temp/pressure?

Also who needs a GoFast when you can just build a camper out of scrap wood?

Ooooh! Where did you get the switch plate? I need that.

My a-pillar gauge has transmission and boost... Love it.

edit: check your motor mounts... I had one that was broken. I suspect from accident, but could also have been from the trashed carrier bearing and tcase mount...

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
Ooooh! Where did you get the switch plate? I need that.

My a-pillar gauge has transmission and boost... Love it.

edit: check your motor mounts... I had one that was broken. I suspect from accident, but could also have been from the trashed carrier bearing and tcase mount...

Last time I checked they were still good, but I'll give them another look.

Traded out the old Eibach springs that were being used to find a good spring rate with new Kings, ended up with the same lengths as no 16" 300Lb were on hand. Already bumped and strapped so extra spring length would not have helped much, just don't like seeing unused thread. We'll see how these work out. So far so good! No more shock body rub, wanted to get that fixed before heading out. Truck is nice and level now when loaded up and ride is a little more firm.
Old:

New:

New
14"x 300Lbs Upper
18" x 400Lbs Lower

Still working on the bed platform, plan to pick up some wood tomorrow for the floor!

Zam15

Explorer
Happy that the truck is still a truck, was tight but squeezed in the plywood needed for the project
46505759811_ef4bb20fe9_b.jpg

Have the first half of the floor installed, need some more hardware to bolt everything down then everything will be flush.

Plan to coat the wood and add access holes for storage down the road.
44688835020_cbc3909ec7_b.jpg

Zam15

Explorer
Water tank is in, added some tie down points, rubber mat to protect the tank from vibration from the bed liner and a ratchet strap tie down. Tank wont budge! Just need to decide if I'm going to mount the fill port internally or externally :confused: If I get a go fast camper I can mount it internally and just flip open the side door to fill. Also wont have to drill a hole in my bedside.
46516534841_3d1b133b10_b.jpg

46464346302_b368fc41b9_b.jpg

Main sections cut, just waiting on hardware to bolt everything down and I need to pick up some flap discs to polish it up a little and remove some material around the wheel wells to it fits nice a snug. Overall super solid! Finally have a fridge slide in route, no more bouncing around the bed!
46516535161_bdb813b9f6_b.jpg

Zam15

Explorer
Drill holes certainly hasn't stopped you up till now? lol
Past the point of no return! Actually check fitted with the side, its just thick enough that the fridge hits the lip. Ugh. Looks like I'll have to find a new pop-up camper :rolleyes:

Deck wood has been weather proofed, now to just find the ideal camper!
46876816021_aeee30c8ea_h.jpg

WOODY2

Adventurer
Where there is a will there is a way my friend, to bad the slide can't be recessed into the ply just a little or is the conflict to large? If it was simple everyone would do it. LOL

WOODY2

Adventurer
I know it may sound dumb but have you considered a spacer of some material on top of your bed rails to raise the shell up? I'm guessing here because I really don't know how much room you need 1or 2"? Where that could get sticky is the rear window to tailgate fit.

Zam15

Explorer
I know it may sound dumb but have you considered a spacer of some material on top of your bed rails to raise the shell up? I'm guessing here because I really don't know how much room you need 1or 2"? Where that could get sticky is the rear window to tailgate fit.

Eh, its an option but not worth the work, its my only complaint about this shell, the lip drops down so much compared to the inner height of the shell, its a pain when getting in our out of the shell or any large items.

Planning on a camper so I'm ok with holding off in the slide install for a bit.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Eh, its an option but not worth the work, its my only complaint about this shell, the lip drops down so much compared to the inner height of the shell, its a pain when getting in our out of the shell or any large items.

Planning on a camper so I'm ok with holding off in the slide install for a bit.
Ahh now I think I know what the problem is. Can you modify by trimming lip upward an doing a barn door approach or fab a bigger flip up? With all yu have done already this type of issue is rather small?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94