ZARGES K470s for storage in FWC

ramblinChet

Certainly - here are some details of exactly which components I ordered:

ZARGES.jpg

Ordered two 2" x 8' straps and tie down D-rings from US Cargo Control. I initially considered ratchet straps but decided to use cam buckle ones so I can feel the tension and reduce the risk of damaging cargo due to over-tightening. After spending a few days researching different straps from various manufacturers I can conclude there are many good options out there and most of them would be perfectly fine for my application.

There are many different end fittings such as flat hook, wire hook, snap hook, E-track, etc. but I wanted to keep it simple. My goal with this build is to use a few pieces as possible and use commonly available options.

USCC straps.jpg

ramblinChet

Here are my ZARGES K470 premium aluminum cases in place in my FWC. I have the 2" straps and d-rings from U.S. Cargo Control to tie everything down - I just need to pick up the correct carriage bolts, washers and nuts.

A wonderful option I have with these cases is I can empty my camper and maximize interior space in just a few minutes. All the cases are weatherproof and stack so I can store them outside or use them as a table, bench, etc. Since the refrigerator has base mounting plate with a quick disconnect I can remove it even quicker.

You can see the cases make use of unoccupied space on the sides and are close to being flush with the National Luna 80 L refrigerator/freezer.

2022-09-20_11.50.29.jpeg

Here is a shot of the cases on the drivers side.
2022-09-20_11.51.23.jpeg

Here is a shot of the cases on the passenger side.
2022-09-20_11.51.41.jpeg

And yes, I sized these so my bed can be pulled out with them in place. There is approximately 12 mm of clearance.
2022-09-20_11.52.13.jpeg

As mentioned in an earlier post, all of my cases are certified bear resistant. Many of the places I plan to visit such as Yosemite, Grand Teton, Denali, etc. require bear resistant canisters.
2022-09-20_11.52.36.jpeg

ramblinChet

Recently I was able to install the 1-1/2" d-ring tie downs which will permit me to secure my ZARGES K470 aluminum cases with a 2" x 8' cam buckle strap. For fasteners I opted to use two inch long 3/8" x 16 carriage bolts plus one washer and one nut. I came close to purchasing 1-1/2" long ones but am glad I went with the 2" ones - see why below.

All measurements were taken using a digital linear caliper fresh from being calibrated at a metrology laboratory and accurate within 0.01 mm (or 0.0005"). Actually, this is all I had available since most all of the measurements I take are very precise. A Class I tape ruler or tape measure would have been fine but this was the closest.
2022-09-26_12.55.58.jpeg

All precision measurements were immediately transferred to a very precise marking system comprised of masking tape on top of carpet. This is when you should laugh.
2022-09-26_12.41.53.jpeg

Here is an installed d-ring tie down. If I remember correctly each tie-down when properly installed is good for a one ton load so securing my ZARGES K470s using two tie-downs should be fine.
2022-09-26_12.42.30.jpeg

The challenging part of this installation was the fact that the tie-down straddled a vertical wall underneath and my goal was to place one carriage bolt on each side of the invisible vertical wall. I took my time, checked my measurements, rechecked everything again, and then drilled my holes. Here is a bolt on the "inside" of the wall.
2022-09-26_12.42.55.jpeg

Here is a bolt on the "outside" of the wall. Now you can see why I was fortunate to have selected the 2" bolts - if I had not I would have run out of room here. I felt the thickness of the material while drilling the outboard holes and was unaware it was thicker in this area. Despite my limited experience with this type of operation things turned out acceptable.
2022-09-26_12.43.19.jpeg

Port:
2022-09-26_12.39.36.jpeg

Starboard:
2022-09-26_12.40.41.jpeg

Complete system: ZARGES K470, d-ring tie down, and 2" cam buckle strap.
2022-09-26_12.38.09.jpeg

ramblinChet

Update below regarding performance of straps:

Just off of the "Million Dollar Highway" that runs between Silverton and Ouray, on the west side, is CR7 that has several campgrounds and also takes you up to Clear Lake. Here is a picture on the spur 815 climbing right at the treeline.
2022-10-08_14.20.13.jpeg

On the same trail you can enjoy the view of the valley below during the climb. There are a dozen or so switchbacks and much of the road is made up of fist sized or slightly larger rocks so unless you air down, the ride will be slow and rough. This was a great test of my tie-down system for my ZARGES K470s and I was impressed at how well the system worked. The 2" straps held them in place and they may have shifted a fraction of an inch or so.
2022-10-08_14.22.12.jpeg

jgaz

Adventurer
Recently I was able to install the 1-1/2" d-ring tie downs which will permit me to secure my ZARGES K470 aluminum cases with a 2" x 8' cam buckle strap. For fasteners I opted to use two inch long 3/8" x 16 carriage bolts plus one washer and one nut. I came close to purchasing 1-1/2" long ones but am glad I went with the 2" ones - see why below.

All measurements were taken using a digital linear caliper fresh from being calibrated at a metrology laboratory and accurate within 0.01 mm (or 0.0005"). Actually, this is all I had available since most all of the measurements I take are very precise. A Class I tape ruler or tape measure would have been fine but this was the closest.
View attachment 756316

All precision measurements were immediately transferred to a very precise marking system comprised of masking tape on top of carpet. This is when you should laugh.
View attachment 756317

Here is an installed d-ring tie down. If I remember correctly each tie-down when properly installed is good for a one ton load so securing my ZARGES K470s using two tie-downs should be fine.
View attachment 756318

The challenging part of this installation was the fact that the tie-down straddled a vertical wall underneath and my goal was to place one carriage bolt on each side of the invisible vertical wall. I took my time, checked my measurements, rechecked everything again, and then drilled my holes. Here is a bolt on the "inside" of the wall.
View attachment 756319

Here is a bolt on the "outside" of the wall. Now you can see why I was fortunate to have selected the 2" bolts - if I had not I would have run out of room here. I felt the thickness of the material while drilling the outboard holes and was unaware it was thicker in this area. Despite my limited experience with this type of operation things turned out acceptable.
View attachment 756320

Port:
View attachment 756321

Starboard:
View attachment 756322

Complete system: ZARGES K470, d-ring tie down, and 2" cam buckle strap.
View attachment 756323
At work we used to say, “measure with a laser, mark with a crayon, cut with an ax.
Nice work on the instlation

Zeep

Adventurer
What did they have inside of that case, to keep the grizzly so interested?
A Salmon,I suspect!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles