Zocama - rigid camper body and truck

Toby2

Observer
Hi,

Anybody come across this company before. Met them at the Abenteuer and Allrad show this weekend at Bad Kissengen. They seem quite good and had a couple of trucks there.

As well as building camper bodies on trucks, they also have a rigid integrated cab and body. It made for a good usable space on a 13 ton Man at 6.5 metres.

http://www.zocama.com/vehicles/monovolume-expedition-truck

They seemed to have good answers on how they approach the chassis flexing and we liked the layout but concerned that most companies build expedition trucks with the body and cab able to flex separately so does this way above make sense.

Thanks for this.
Cheers Tobias

Steven_VD

Kicking up a lot of dust here..
I can't believe this didn't get more attention, this concept seems so Interesting! The first thought when drawing I had was this concept. Just quickly dismissed as impossible. Then this.

I was actually working this out with a solid cabin mounted bullet type truck. Now I'm thinking again..

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
For me there are safety, cleanliness, and thermal reasons for maintaining separation between the driving space and the habitat. I think it is the reason why most expedition builds have a securable pass-through, if they have anything at all.

safety - the habitat can be secured from access while still allowing a driver to move the vehicle. It's far easier to secure the habitat than the cab.

cleanliness - whenever I drive offroad, everything gets covered with dust. Being able to seal off the habitat means that it doesn't get as dirty as the cab.

thermal efficiency - the single glazed windows of the cab suck heat out during cold weather and superheat the cab when in direct sunlight. We tend to design the habitat for thermal efficiency (double glazed windows, insulated walls, etc.) It is much easier to control the temperature of the habitat when it is not directly coupled to the cab.

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Amen to all of Jon's points above. And, if you ship RO-RO, it is nice to limit access to the camper area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles