Project XXX

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Re:the old rig

Geeez guy just didn't have the good sense or good taste you do. Now he has an ordinary XJ (USA is covered in 4X4's like that) with a geeky looking trailer behind it.

XXXpedition

Explorer
geeky looking trailer behind it.
some facts:
the trailer was the XXXpedition truck.
the xj in front he had already.
they cannot drive lefthand drive vehicles in oz.
the aftermarket stuff actually went to a different xj (the guy who bought the rig)
the guy who built the trailer got the rest of the donor (XXXpedition) truck.

Last edited:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
some facts:
the trailer was the XXXpedition truck.
the xj in front he had already.
they cannot drive lefthand drive vehicles in oz.
the aftermarket stuff actually went to a different xj (the guy who bought the rig)
the guy who built the trailer got the rest of the donor (XXXpedition) truck.

My god....do other countries have senseless laws....I'll never gripe about our rules again. We can drive right hand autos here, fact is the postal service sells its used RH jeeps and trucks at public auctions. The amazing inspections all you folks have to go thru. I couldn't believe you couldn't have a winch hoop on your jeep! Here its considered safer. Its amazing you folks can get anything done, what a waste of time....and as far as I can tell your accident rate isn't any better is it?
As far as the old rigs roof...we would just clip in a new roof and get a rebuild title. When my XJ got totaled I fixed it mostly myself (it has 6.5" lift and most the usual goodies)....I called the local DMV and asked if they wanted to inspect it? the agent asked if everything was fixed...airbag, bumper, steering etc. Once I said yes, he said we'll send out the rebuild title in the next 2 weeks. voila....done.
It must be frustrating to build rigs for you folks. If you had been coming back to the USA the old rig would have been just fine, right? :yikes:

XXXpedition

Explorer
back to the new XXXpedition rig:
since the truck is growing, and getting in the back (with the bed) is getting increasingly difficult, i decided to get us a little help.
i added a step onto the rocker rail...
IMG_3428.JPG

heavy duty with slide protection :)

Last edited:

XXXpedition

Explorer
It must be frustrating to build rigs for you folks. If you had been coming back to the USA the old rig would have been just fine, right?
yes, it's annoying as hell. and it's getting tougher every month.
well, i would have driven the old rig in the US for another while, that's for sure...
i'm really missing it!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
How has your remap been working with the CRD.

I am doing some J8 research and would love to know what you are getting for mileage....

Any other performance mods planned?

Thank you.

XXXpedition

Explorer
i haven't planned any more performance mods...
the only thing is the power tec chip tuning.
it gives me 20% more and i love it.
gasmilage right now is somewhere between 20-25 mpg (depending on the speed - on freeways exceeding 70mph it goes up! (i live in germany now :) ))

i love the diesel, especially thinking that i can do about 450 miles with the (stock) tank...

Last edited:

XXXpedition

Explorer
insect screens for the rear windows:
we had that thread recently (here) but in my case now (JK) it's different.
i used a velcro to attach the screen, because i cannot get narrow frames here in germany and because there's not really enough space between window frame and body/roll cage...
IMG_3406.JPG

Last edited:

Zeero

Adventurer
I did the exact same thing here last year.

In June the bugs get HUGE and vast.....and are very hungry.

Only difference is, I did it with magnets instead of velcro on all four doors.....but I like the velcro idea. :sombrero:

Zeero

Adventurer
Yep I thought about that when I made mine....mine were on the outside of the door.

I only had them on while on a trail or logging road, took them off for freeway driving.

Zeero

Adventurer
No, the magnets were pretty strong and flat, the branches just slid right over them.

I do like your idea better though, makes each piece lighter and easier to store.

:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78