Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Hey Scott, what size rubber did you end up running? I know you were going back and forth over possible sizes. Looks like 235/85 in that shot which is what I am running on my D1 and I am looking for some feedback on gearing. My stock gears work awesome on the highway, especially with the 4.6 conversion but I find myself wanting lower gearing when working technical terrain. I swapped out the rear rotoflex last spring as the rubber was starting to chunk pretty good.

The truck looks great and I will second the notion that a mildly built D1 is a fairly capable vehicle that is a great compromise of good handling, ergonomics, handling, off road ability and ranks on the fun factor to drive.

Ronct110

Adventurer
The Disco is finished:
Discovery_Finished_.jpg

Very nice!

Green96D1

Explorer
The Disco is finished:
Discovery_Finished_.jpg

I am just now buttoning up a few switchgear items and waiting for the rear Escape Gear seat covers, but the truck is essentially done- I am pleased, and ready to put it to use. I am thinking a trip into Northern Sonora for spring.

The diesel swap is off the table for a few reasons (mainly the J8 siting in the parking lot), but mostly because the V8 only has 80,000 miles on it. I also had a few other ideas for modifications, but have decided to table all of them. None are necessary for what I want the Disco to do.

Returning from the Silk Road a few days ago, the Disco was the first vehicle I drove (though the KTM nearly won that contest). The love was still there - isn't she beautiful?

Man she is HOT!:drool::victory:

muskyman

Explorer
I'm curious too. I just haven't seen them failing that often. I just changed mine pre-emptively at 60,000 miles, 20,000 of which was lifted. The rubber was cracked but otherwise it was ok. Seems like good life to me. I'm much more concerned about the 1300 U-joint in front of it. I changed that as well, and judging by the looks of it, it was much closer to failing than the donut.

You have to be kidding right?

You are more concerned about the 1300 ujoint then tearing up a roto-flex using your disco off road?

Hang in there in time you will see how silly this comment really is.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I'm much more concerned about the 1300 U-joint in front of it. I changed that as well, and judging by the looks of it, it was much closer to failing than the donut.
They come from the factory with a zerk fitting in that u-joint. Had it been lubed every 5k miles so that new grease came from around all 4 seals on it?
If not, you can't use it's condition as any sort of measurement. Actually, that is was still functioning if it hadn't been maintained would be a measure of it's suitability, not the lack thereof.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You have to be kidding right?

You are more concerned about the 1300 ujoint then tearing up a roto-flex using your disco off road?

Hang in there in time you will see how silly this comment really is.

Like I said, I just haven't seen it happening nearly so often as U-joint failures. Maybe that's because the rotoflex is maintenance-free whereas the Ujoints need to be lubed, and people don't, so the joints fail. Or maybe not that many people on the web actually going offroad. I dunno. Just commenting on what I've seen.

They come from the factory with a zerk fitting in that u-joint. Had it been lubed every 5k miles so that new grease came from around all 4 seals on it?
If not, you can't use it's condition as any sort of measurement. Actually, that is was still functioning if it hadn't been maintained would be a measure of it's suitability, not the lack thereof.

I can't say what the OP actually did or not.

Anyway, I accept the net wisdom of it, but it's lower down on my list of priorities. I'm sure eventually I'll end up with the TW shaft with 1310's front and rear. Right now, I'm planning on going over the cooling system. Coolant, Tstat and hoses.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
If you're interested in building a replica of the Expeditions West Discovery, here are a few currently advertised cars to consider as a starting point. Scott's vehicle has a cloth interior, manual transmission, and no sunroof. That's a rare combination. Most of the cars listed below differ in at least one of these parameters.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=284254700

1998 LR Discovery LE
57K miles $7950
for sale by dealer in Ohio
White over tan leather

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=283622382

1996 LR Discovery SD
77K miles, $6588
for sale by dealer in Baldwin Park CA
one owner California car

If you're willing to buy a car someone else has wheeled hard

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/1920040917.html
1995 LR Discovery
78K miles, $3100
5 speed transmission
4 inch lift, 33 inch tires, ARB bumper
full length roof rack, ladder on rear door
for sale by owner near Asheville NC

and if you're willing to take a chance on a high mileage car

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/1944902105.html

1996 LR Discovery SD
198K miles, $2100
5 speed, cloth seats, no sunroof
for sale by owner in Irving Texas

Scott Brady

Founder
Installed a new rear driveshaft in the Disco today. I had Tom Wood build a CV and non-CV style shaft to help track down some of the rear driveshaft vibrations. I set the pinion to about 1 degrees and installed the CV shaft. We will see how smooth it runs in a few minutes.

Tom_Wood_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger