M416 Build

Airborne Lee

Observer
I posted in 2007 about this when I got started but the photo site I used is now gone SOOOO I thought I would start anew.

I'll try not to bore you...

I purchased this trailer from a local Army Supply place that had just burned down. They needed the money so he sold it to me! (I almost felt bad about buying it). I am glad I did. It paid for itself in reducing trailer rentals in the first year!

Getting it licenced was a NIGHTMERE! Then I had a tag stolen. Weeee, Good times Good times...

$650 as pictured with the spare. I put a set of $50 trailer lights on it when I picked it up to drive it home. The previous owner had replaced the barrings within the previous 12 months so it drove ok.

4258_1087022410902_1086680037_30242049_6092692_s.jpg

I'll post more pictures soon.

Last edited:

Airborne Lee

Observer
Purchased my latch today.
L_MDB_021img.jpg

My lid project is coming along. But first more picts. I joined Photo bucket and added the album to my sig below.

th_IMG_2940.jpg

Here is my biggest issue with the lid:
th_IMG_2941.jpg

It took something like 12 bags of sand to blast off all the excess paint and surface rust.
th_IMG_2952.jpg

Although it was quite a mess, I did use it several times before fixing it up.
th_IMG_2936.jpg

Airborne Lee

Observer
Here are some finished picts. The tag in this picture was discovered "missing" from the driveway. If you see it send me a PM with the licence of the vehicle (& make and model)

th_IMG_20071017_0009.jpg

It took something like 15 large cans of primer and color to get this black. All rustoleum.
IMG_20071017_0008.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

Last edited:

Airborne Lee

Observer
Here is the start of my lid. Forgive the red primer overspray. The Bennefit of Rustoleum is exactly what I'm going to do... Spay more black!

1" tube and 14g sheet metal laying in place on the trailer.

I have not decided on how to attach the two yet... I'm thinking bolt the middle and weld the outside edges. But until my latch comes I have stopped so I don't put a support or gusset in the wrong place.

IMG_6179.jpg

Airborne Lee

Observer
Hinge Update

I have used a 1x1 14g tube welded closed on each end. I bolted this to the bucket under the round lip of the bucket. Then I have welded a solid mild steal hinge to the 1x1 on the bucket to the 1x1 frame on top. I purchased 4 hinges and plan to add the other two but with no weight on the lid you can see the two hinges work great.

I also added two 100 psi gas prop's. one makes nearly zero difference with the lid on it but two work really well. However. It is not supporting the entire weight of the lid and holding it up. I am afraid that I will need to differnet struts of over 150 psi each. I'll get back on this one.

I also received my T latch. I am disapointed that the dimensions on their web page showed it a bit thicker than what i got. The one I purchased will be problematic to install as the latches are located exactly 1 inch below the surface... Hello, i used 1" tube... plus the 14g lid leaves me a bit shallow. I think I might actually raise the latch up a bit and run the 3 point bars through the 1x1 frame to the end and then weld a drop piece to the latch on the ends. ??? I don't know.

The frame is square but the bucket is NOT. It is closer than this picture makes it look.

IMG_6182.jpg

I'll weld all the way around the hinge when I pull it off to paint. I've cut the extra 1/2 inch of the top hinge off to let the lid sheetmetal sit square.
IMG_6184.jpg

IMG_6186.jpg

My first non-grade 8 bolts on the trailer. I couldn't even find stainless for these.

IMG_6188.jpg

The un-square 1/2 inch off on the bucket caused me to add this spacer to allow the second strut to mount.
IMG_6189.jpg

Trailpsycho

Observer
Lee-

Looking functional! One suggestion drill (2) 7/16" or 1/2" holes in the hinge face and puddle in a plug weld to meld the hinge into the lid and 1" tube. This will add some additional strength to the hinge and the face of the hinge can be ground back smooth afterward.

Keep at it and keep us posted.

Inkog

Observer
Nice work so far. Your trailer was in about the same shape as mine when I got it. I'm also still trying to decide what to do about my bent rails. I think I'm pretty much sold on cutting off the round tube and welding up a new rail of 1" square. I would loose a 1/2" of overall tub height, but I think it would be a fairly "straight" forward fix :p. I may use 1x2" for the hinge side.

I wanted to use a similar latch, but for me anyway, I think its more important to have some sort of a compression latch to keep it all sealed up nice and tight. I still haven't come up with a solution though?!?

I wish I could be of more help, but I've recently come to the conclusion that this trailer won't be done until spring at least. So I'm taking my time researching and contemplating my options.

Good luck,

I'll be watching your build.

Airborne Lee

Observer
I also thought of a compression latch. But the tub is so out of square I did not think it could ever really be kept buttoned up. Not only square but two oposite coners are smashed down about a 1/2 inch.

My latch only cost $35 dollars total. It is not the best latch for this application but the price was right and I can make it work. I have to custom fit everything anyway. I am thinking that I will cut a square hole in the sheet metal top and drop the entire latch below the surface? (Still working on this one)...

On the 1x1 bar that the hinge welds to and then bolts into the bucket, I also looked at doing differnet types and sizes of metal. I determined that it still comes down to a single row of bolts. I felt that it would twist just as much at 1x1 or 1x2 or angle iron. So I am doing 8 grade 8 x5/16ths with wide washers and lock washers. I also upgraded the 1x1 to 14 gage.

Airborne Lee

Observer
I am keeping the lunette ring! I am very happy with it. It is only noisy when I do a lot of start and stops in town. I have found even when driving across fields that is not too bad.

Airborne Lee

Observer
Latest hinge/lid update. I pulled the entire thing off and finished alot details. I still have not decided a final paint color but it will NOT be black. Black will be way too hot even in winter months for stuff stored inside. I'm leaning towards leaving it primer color.

I need to work on making my welds pretty.

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

Welded all the way around every edge front and back.
IMG_6205.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

Also added a bracket to hold the spare.

IMG_6210.jpg

IMG_6211.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman