1978 F150 4x4

unreng

more build pics here - http://www.hillsangels4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1196

goodies:

EFI ford 400 (rebuilt)
NP435 (rebuilt)
NP205 (rebuilt)
D44-HP front (8-lug, open with rebuilt everything)
Sterling 10.25 rear (open with rebuilt hubs)
37" BFG M/T's w/ 2008 hummer wheels (router clearanced)
4-wheel disc brakes (1978 f350 booster, 2000 F150 m-cylinder)
Junkyard AL-channel flatbed (will replace the wood with expanded metal)
Cage coils in the front
Early 90's Ford 2wd leafs in the rear
QuickAir on-board air
York 210 on-board air
dual batteries Painless setup
Mark VIII fan with FAL controller
3qt Accusump
Sanderson Headers into Napa 21470 muffler into Hooker Aero Chamber muffler - only way to make the exhaust semi-quiet.

from ~2003/2004:
dscf0500.jpg

late 2009:
p1010675.jpg

The bed has two gas/water can holders outside of the toolbox (each can hold three, two in the holder and one toward the cab). there's also a place for a shovel, ax, sledge and hi-lift.

Will probably bend some conduit soon to make some removable bed rails for additional storage capacity.

now:
P1030897Large.jpg

P1040035Large.jpg

Thinking of painting it gray or green (dark pine)...still undecided.

Still a work-in-progress. :bike_rider:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A guy after my own heart! I have a my high school '78 4x4 shorty with a 390 in it that I swapped in back in the day still sitting back on my parents ranch.

On your york air compressor you might want to replace the output line on the compressor with a coiled copper line. Every york I have done with soft line after the outlet melts over time and then fails most inconveniently.

LOVE your truck.

unreng

Sweet truck. What is the EFI from?

Custom, but the computer and harness are from 89-93 mustang 5.0HO.

On your york air compressor you might want to replace the output line on the compressor with a coiled copper line. Every york I have done with soft line after the outlet melts over time and then fails most inconveniently.

Have a link for the coiled copper??

Why would Aeroquip Socketless fail?
*Textile braid reinforcement now available in a blue or black AQP elastomer cover
*Patented AQP elastomer smooth bore inner tube
*-45°F to +300°F temperature rating
*Available in sizes blue -04 to -12; black -06 to -12
*Vacuum rated up to 28 in. Hg. in sizes -04 to -08
*Operating pressure for all sizes at 250 psi
*Never needs a clamp
*Applications include fuel, lube, coolant and air lines

If this hose fails, then it's extremely easy to replace with another hose section. Or buy a higher temp/pressure hose :snorkel:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The soft lines just melt over time. The air coming out of the compressor is hotter than 300 degrees. Under hood air is already 100+ degrees, add a little squish, and your over that temp quickly. I just used off the shelf soft copper line that was rated for 150psi + with standard compression fittings. All hardware store stuff. I always tried to add a 'coil' of tubing in the path of the engine fan air...that seemed to help cool it off enough that I could go back to regular air hose after only a 2-3' of copper to cool off the air.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The FC332 hose is great stuff. We use it at work on the turbo test stand and on the dyno. That said, I put a coil of copper tube between the York and the FC332 as well. I just flared it AN/JIC and used JIC (steel) tube nuts & sleaves on it. Then everything is the same flare type.

FWIW I use a double wrapped safety wire binder between the barbs on the Push-Locs in the primary hose since it is under pressure all of the time and sees start-up surges. Not tight, just snug. The belt and suspenders approach.....

benjamin

Observer
Nice build !
How do you like the 400 w/efi, power, mileage ?
Was the f150 mc a bolt on, saginaw ps pump ?

Good to see another 70s Ford here, Welcome.

Dennis

unreng

The 400 dynoed @ 360hp 450tq
dyno.gif

Power is greatly improved from before and it's right off idle. mileage was ~11 mpg with the 33" tires and the software is showing ~13 mpg with the 37" tires (haven't calc'd from the pump yet).

Wouldn't do it again...too expensive for the results (and TFI). Propane or diesel would be my next build (tax credits).

The master cylinder only needed the mounting holes widened to 3.25" OC. 4-wheel disc brake master cylinders have the rear brake port closer to the booster, so all that was necessary was to switch line locations (move MC rear to front and MC front to rear). No line flaring needed.

The saginaw pump is a direct bolt-in, just need a new pressure line to feed the steering gear.

Forgot to mention that there's a 200-amp alternator, to feed the lights and fan (and eventually the winches). :snorkel:

unreng

l'il update:

Installed a ramsey patriot profile in the back:
P1040140Medium.jpg

After moving the gas tank:
P1040107Large.jpg

However, the RE12000 is qualified for rear installs (profile not); some 2.5"x3.5"x0.5" angle iron for mounting:
P1040585Large.jpg

The truck does rather well in snow:
P1040336Large.jpg

I need to determine a better mud flap mount as one was torn off while snow wheelin'.

concerning mileage - with the truck, 3-200lb humans and ~1000lbs (maybe more) of "cargo" on a 4-day hot springs trip; dirt/asphalt roads there and interstate highway return (75mph); ~620 miles, 11.25 mpg.
ms-P1040146.jpg

Next on the list is removing the wood deck and replacing with some expanded metal (should remove 50-60 lbs) and then some front/rear bumpers.

With the current economic repercussions, however, no more truck upgrades because anything else will require fresh monetary outlay.

Last edited:

deadbird

Observer
hot springs

Where you camping in the Black Rock Desert? I love that place. There sure are some great hot springs out there. I hope to get out in July for some dirtbiking and exploring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179