Apache Chief - 1st adventure trailer ever?

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Apache Chief -- Now 4sale

Well I just scored a very cool lil trailer, quite posibly the first Adventure Trailer ever lol. It's a 1961 Apache Chief. The design is way ahead f the time period that's for sure. I got a lot of up grades planed but here's some pics.

Last edited:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Very cool trailer, that would make most people very happy good score!

Kinda hard to compare it to an adventure trailer though ;)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
A very nice trailer. When you have time please e mail me some detailed pictures. I like to document the evolution of this type of trailer over time.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I had an early 60's Apache similar to that for years. It pulled/folded out on both sides and had 2 double beds, storage, etc. Aluminum roof and was tiny and lightweight. I pulled it all over with my FJ40 for years.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I'm not compairing it to the AT's today, by any means, but if you think in terms of 1961 ~ It was extremely inovative, figure it was being pulled by a Willy's :D

I'll get you some pics Martyn. Y'all kick tail and if there's any thing I can do for you, as many folks as y'all help, I'll be more than happy to return the favor.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Now THAT is very cool.
Great find!

safari.gif

Rezarf <><

Explorer
highlandercj-7 said:
I'm not compairing it to the AT's today, by any means, but if you think in terms of 1961 ~ It was extremely inovative, figure it was being pulled by a Willy's :D

I'll get you some pics Martyn. Y'all kick tail and if there's any thing I can do for you, as many folks as y'all help, I'll be more than happy to return the favor.

I'm just messing with you, and you are so right, they were WAY ahead of the times. Very cool little trailer. What is it made out of?

Drew

atavuss

Adventurer
Heilite also made a small aluminum trailer that was first offered in the
1950's. the first Heilites only had one small 4.80x8 tire and wheel and the trailer was secured to the tow vehicle's bumper.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
The is a huge following on these lil trailers. They are made of aircraft aluminum. The body / pannels remind me of say a nice Hallmark enclosed trailer. The quality is remarkable. This thing is all orginal from 1961, including the canvas! What trailer lasts 47 years? It blew me away. :camping:

I may find a way to put beefier tires and wheels on it. I have a set of snowmobile trailer tires that are twice as wide. It has the silly lil 4.8x8" whels on it now. It is already SOA from the factory, so it's as tall as I can get it for now. It's so rare, I really don't wanna mess it up.

My trailer was the first year for the Chief, here's a link to the org brochure.

http://www.apacheowners.com/Chief.html

Here's one of the many owners forum:

http://www.apacheowners.com/

Enjoy!
-Rod

compactcamping

Explorer
Nice find, looks to be in pretty good condition.

Although some of the first "Adventure" trailers date back a bit further , here is one of my favorites, a 20's Auto-Kamp

attachment.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman