My 2004 Chevrolet Silverado Build

eugene

Explorer
Countertop with backsplash done and I covered the refer door to make it look nicer.
IMG_12425.jpg

IMG_12426.jpg

White Rust-O-Leum to clean up the outside a bit.
IMG_12427.jpg

The rear corner had water damage and the previous owner braced it with some steel but the jack mount wasn't very solid. So I removed the floor where the refer sits, removed the floor supports and cut out most of the rotten wood where the jack bolted too. Then cut under the side of the refer cabinet and screwed a 18x24" sheet of plywood the top of the existing and my new to tie them together, made new refer floor supports and new bolts for everything still using part of the steel bracing.
IMG_12446.jpg

IMG_12447.jpg

IMG_12452.jpg

IMG_12453.jpg

IMG_12454.jpg

Last edited:

eugene

Explorer
Since we had the fridge out we hauled it around back and sanded off any rust and sprayed it with rust-o-leum
IMG_12475.jpg

IMG_12476.jpg

IMG_12478.jpg

IMG_12477.jpg

eugene

Explorer
There was some insulation in there, old dirty stuff, going to replace it.
The 12v pump I ordered doesn't have the pressure switch, can I buy an inline one separate or do I have to send the whole thing back and order a different one?

eugene

Explorer
I guess I never updated this. I had to rebuild the roof, all the wood was rotten. Used cedar so it was rot resistant but its very soft and the little screws they used kept pulling out so I replaced all the screws with 1/4" bolts and T nuts. Took it on a trip last year and the back end started coming apart, enough the door came open so I had to tie it shut. Tore into that over the winter and most of the wood was rotten. grabbed some cheap pine 1x2's once it started warming up this spring to get it back together quick. Were going to try for a trip this weekend

cd5e6a1f.jpg

BlueBomber

Adventurer
Did you take any pics of the rebuild? I hate to hear it fell apart on you, did you take it off road alot or was it just alot of miles that did it in?

eugene

Explorer
I took a lot of pics early on
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn275/eugenenine/Camper/

Its an old camper and a tree fell on it while the original owner was in it and he laid some angle iron across the top to try and support it. he sold it and the next owner screwed aluminum flashing on the outside and spray painted it a tan color. I bought it and removed both owners band-aids and replaced all the wood in the roof. A lot of the wood frame was rotten and it looks like water had come in the vents for the refrigerator and rotted away the floor there.

eugene

Explorer
Here is some better detail of my construction. To catch anyone up to speed, I'm rebuilding a new rear wall using plywood on both sides instead of the original paneling and thin aluminum so the plywood can add extra strength.

f2fc6d11.jpg

See the dowels in the top of the board there and the dowling jig sitting on top. I haven't cut the two horizontal boards yet, wanted to triple check my width first. I measured the camper width several places just in case anything had flexed over the years. Then measured all the different parts of the rear and drew it all out on paper then the plywood then cut everything and then double checked that the wings on each side were the same width out from the center section and then compared that width with what i thought the top was and it matched so I must have measured and laid everything out right. It measures 85.25 wide.

BlueBomber

Adventurer
I disagree, this is the fun part. All the bad crap is out and you're adding your own personal touches to your camper. Looks awesome.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger