IMG_3960.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

The guy I bought it from had a new tub fabricated to the same specs as the original, just made out of 1/8" steel this time around. The sides and bottom are made of a single sheet of steel with the front and rear welded on. The front and rear sheets need to be cut, as you can see in the pics. The tub isn't bolted to the frame yet either. I'm going to need to weld some angle iron onto the bottom in order to bolt the tub to the frame.

I'm live in the DFW Metroplex so if any of you guys live here and can help i need it!:

Step 1: Cutting. I need to find someone with a cutting torch or plasma cutter. I'll bring beer and reimburse for any costs incurred. Disclaimer: The author of this thread is not responsible for any accidents caused by anyone drunkenly wielding a cutting torch/plasma cutter.

Step 2: Welding. I need to find Someone with a MIG or TIG welder and welding skills. Again, I'll provide beer and reimbursement for any cost incurred. Disclaimer: The author of this thread is not responsible for any accidents caused by anyone drunkenly wielding a MIG/TIG welding instrument.

Step 3: Sand Blasting. I used ICA to sandblast and powdercoat my PSC Rocker Knockers so I'll probably use them again for this sandblasting. That is unless anyone knows of a shop that'll sandblast for cheap. Please let me know!

Step 4. Paint. I'll probably buy a pneumatic paint gun and do this on my own.

Thanks in advance for comments/suggestions. I really need help from those of you who have welders/cutting equipment.

Thanks,

Dawson

Last edited:

miller_au

Adventurer
dawsonc61 said:
Step 1: Cutting. I need to find someone with a cutting torch or plasma cutter. I'll bring beer and reimburse for any costs incurred. Disclaimer: The author of this thread is not responsible for any accidents caused by anyone drunkenly wielding a cutting torch/plasma cutter.

Return flight from australia included?? sure ill come and cut stuff for ya:friday:
but seriously.. nice find

I'm over in West Fort Worth and have a good MIG + skills and a cutting torch. Depending on the thickness of that metal you might want to research some other cutting methods. I have a couple of trailers I can show you and I would like to look at your M416 to share ideas.

dawsonc61

Observer
system-f said:
I'm over in West Fort Worth and have a good MIG + skills and a cutting torch. Depending on the thickness of that metal you might want to research some other cutting methods. I have a couple of trailers I can show you and I would like to look at your M416 to share ideas.

That's great! I'd definitely like to meet up and do some work on it. e-mail me your contact info and maybe we can meet up sometime next week. whatever works for you.

dawsonc61@gmail.com

Roktoys84

Adventurer
I'm curious to know what that thing weighs. I'd like to see some pictures of the frame when you have the box off.

dawsonc61

Observer
system-f said:
I re-read your post. 3/16" steel can easily be torch cut... I bet that thing is heavy!
I "mis-underestimated" the thickness of the steel. It's 1/8" thick. I'll edit the original post.

dawsonc61

Observer
Roktoys84 said:
I'm curious to know what that thing weighs. I'd like to see some pictures of the frame when you have the box off.

I'll take some pics when i get that hulk off of there. I'll def need help though. it's pretty heavy. If I run across a weigh station here in Dallas I'll try and get a weight on it.

dawsonc61

Observer
Update

Well my new buddy Keith and I did a little work on the trailer yesterday evening. We mounted the tub to the frame with some 3/16" tabs and 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

Then we mounted the old trailer lights and and wired it up so I could drive home safely! This is temporary. I think we will build a bumper and put lights directly in the bumper.

IMG_4088.jpg

When I got home, I took a cutting wheel and removed the excess metal from the front and rear of the tub.

Before:
IMG_4095.jpg

After:
IMG_4097.jpg

Anyway, just keeping everyone updated. A BIG thanks to Keith Maddox for his help and expertise.

dawsonc61

Observer
Well I've been messin' around with Google "SketchUp" and here's what I've come up with:

M416withRTT2.png

M416withRTT.png

M416withRTT3.png

M416withRTT4.png

I'll be designing the interior of the tub next, including a water tank, deep cycle batteries, sliding runner with kitchen components and propane setup.

dawsonc61

Observer
My M416 got new shoes!

These came in the mail yesterday from adaptitusa.com they are the 5 on 5.5 to 5 on 4.5 hub pattern adapters.

IMG_4297.jpg

Before:
IMG_4086.jpg

After:
IMG_4302.jpg

To contrast:
IMG_4304.jpg

and some more for good measure!
IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

IMG_4308.jpg

These tires are Goodyear MT/R 285/75/16 on Jeep Moab wheels.

I think they give a whole new look to the trailer. Just down right mean looking! I cant wait to get the fenders and tailgate fabricated.

dawsonc61

Observer
The UPS just delivered my Jeep CJ tailgate:
IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

I need to figure out a good way to get this thing mounted. Luckily for me, several other people have done such a thing on their M416's so i have lots of examples to follow.

I'm also battling whether or not to fabricate a lid to the trailer or to have a open top and a rack above that. Kind of like boctor has going on here:

P1010062.jpg

I'll figure it out sooner or later. Looks like i need to revise the sketch-up file!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior