Elmo's Camper Build

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Hey All,
I started the whole planning this build back in '05 and have been using it for yard and construction duty since then, but am finally getting back into it to get it camp-able within the next two months for a big gathering of friends in Virginia. I'm doing a lot more reading this time, and there are some things I already would change, but it's getting built as is for now. It's not going to be what you call a "light" build, but it should be plenty strong. I think it will come in at around 1200-1500lb with everything but water and propane. Luckily, the tow vehicle shouldn't have any problem with that weight, but I'll have to see how it does off road, and in the fall might have to redo the frame to take off a couple pounds and redo the suspension. At worst, I can take the "camper" part off, and just continue to use it for yard and construction use. The Sawtooth build is pretty impressive, and is tempting me. :eek:)

Anyway, here are the basics:
- Back end of a Ford Ranger with some weight shaved off and 3500lb brake axle (about 250lbs with tongue and stock wheels/tires).
- Lock-n-Roll hitch and Tongue is long enough to jack-knife behind the Bronco during camping so I can use the tail gate of the truck as additional lay down area.
- An aluminum utility body (355lbs).
- Stock ranger suspension until I see how it holds the weight of the camper, then I can remove leaves, or use an add-a-leaf as needed.
- Tires on now match my old truck, a Ranger, so they'll get changed out to ones matching the Bronco.
- I have an aluminum diamond plate box that will fit on the front of the utility body (40lbs). I am building this to hold a slide out table on heavy duty drawer slides, and probably the propane and batteries.
- I will be building a wooden top for it that will hinge on the drivers side of the trailer and be braced flat to us as a bed.(100lbs)
- I have a cheap tent that I will be using near term that I will modify to cover the area. It is just a cheap dome tent that is the right size (10.5'x7') to fit over the opened trailer.
- I will eventually make a canvas trailer and inner support structure that will fit better and provide some additional options.
- Entrance will be in the back of the trailer, hard door on the bottom, soft door in the tent like an old pop-up.
- I'll be increasing the strength and size of the tailgate to act as a landing type area, and be able to hook a ladder to.
- Passenger side of the trailer will hold entertainment (radio, TV, Speakers) in the front compartment, kitchen equipment in the top, long compartment, and water/cooking equipment in the back, lower compartment.
- I'll have a 50'ish gallon water tank under the body, with flex hoses running to the kitchen areas.
- Rhino line on the inside, paint to match the truck on the outside.

I think that's about it, especially for it being late. :coffee: Let me know your opinions. On with pictures..

The tow vehicle:

img_3227.jpg

The trailer as it stands today:

img_3333.jpg

img_3330.jpg

img_3327.jpg

img_3331.jpg

CamperPlans.jpg

And me using it in '05 year for a tailgate at Virginia Tech when I first started the built:

TechGame1.jpg

TechGame2.jpg

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Love the design and the use of the utility body. I think the tent on top, the storage doors, and open storage in the back is the best of both worlds. Maybe a bit heavy but you probably won't regret having everything you want to have with you, with you!

Keep the updates coming!!:coffee:

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
I've always thought a utility bed would be cool due to the storage and such... even better that it's aluminium...
I like the tent too... I've got similar ideas going right now with a comanche bed for my cherokee...

Keep us updated...

Curt

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
... I like the tent too... I've got similar ideas going right now with a comanche bed for my cherokee...

Curt

Thanks... It took me a bit to figure out what you meant by a Comanche bed, but I understand now. How are the tail lights in those compared to the Cherokee? Growing up, I remeber seeing articles in Four Wheeler or a similar mag about vehicles with matching trailers and always thought it was completely awesome. I'm thought about doing the same with a F-150 bed of the same area, and then putting a camper top on it, but the weight would be even worse unless you just got the body panels and hung them on a custom frame. Either way it would look awesome, but it just didn't have the practicality that this has the potential of having with all the compartments. Before I bought the Bronco, I thought about going with a F-250 w/ a utility body, and a matching utility body trailer, but that was just too much money. So I'm here. :eek:)

-

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Thanks... It took me a bit to figure out what you meant by a Comanche bed, but I understand now. How are the tail lights in those compared to the Cherokee? Growing up, I remeber seeing articles in Four Wheeler or a similar mag about vehicles with matching trailers and always thought it was completely awesome. I'm thought about doing the same with a F-150 bed of the same area, and then putting a camper top on it, but the weight would be even worse unless you just got the body panels and hung them on a custom frame. Either way it would look awesome, but it just didn't have the practicality that this has the potential of having with all the compartments. Before I bought the Bronco, I thought about going with a F-250 w/ a utility body, and a matching utility body trailer, but that was just too much money. So I'm here. :eek:)
-

I too thought about the shell idea and the one I have has one now, but I think it'll be too top heavy... so I'll be shooting for something 6" or 8" above the bed rails to cover the tent material...

Search for Prep Mech's thread about his comanche bed build... it came out NICE !
As to the tail lights they're similar but not the same...

Curt

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Looks like a nice build. Your Bronc is sharp. I can't believe you found a reading bed in aluminum and only 350 lbs. Most of them are steel and heavy as a tank lol.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Looks like a nice build. Your Bronc is sharp. I can't believe you found a reading bed in aluminum and only 350 lbs. Most of them are steel and heavy as a tank lol.

Thanks for the compliments. I spent a lot of time and money on the Bronco last year. The body/chassis only has 50k miles on it, the engine only 10k, and was replace right before I bought it. I completed a 6" lift with a solid axle swap and 16" of travel at all corners, ARB lockers front and rear, on-board air, bumpers and a bunch of other smaller stuff. I'm still not done, but I need to get some other projects done for the summer, and will pick it up again next winter (rear roll-cage, more gauges, Atlas transfer case, soft top, etc).

As far as the utility bed, it was really just luck. I was actually looking for a 7ft Ford Ranger pickup bed to do the same tent idea with, but when I saw this, it was the best of both worlds in my opinion. This one was actually bought on e-bay for $200, and the Ranger doner frame was $10 off of Craigslist, so I couldn't beat the prices. I still keeping a look out for another one so that I can use it solely for construction/tools, but I haven't seen one for a while. For that, I'm probably going just modify a small 4x8 utility trailer with some regular tool boxes or underbody boxes.

Don

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Build Update

Finally getting around to posting some pictures from this past weekend.

Didn't get much time to work between house/yard projects, but here's what I got accomplished.

- Got the rear lights mounted
- Got the main frame cut and temporarily mounted. I'll still need to pull it up for the roll on bed coating and for fit where the door will be
- Got the old, non-functional latches out and the new ones mocked into place
- Got the tongue box set and drilled (still need to tap the holes and find a rubber isolators.
- Started cutting the frame for the rear tail gate/porch :eek:)
- Bought most of the alum. for running along the wood seams, and steel for building the frame out for the rear jacks, rear tow hitch, and lid support for when it's opened. This weekend I'll have to head back to get a little more steel to make a Grill mount and some other misc. angle for bracing
- Got a bunch of other misc. parts, like new hubs for the 5 on 5.5inch spacing to match the bronco's wheels, stainless piano hinge and some interior push button lights

This weekend between family stuff, I'm going to start setting up and cutting the top. I ordered a Kraig pocket jig set for the attachment of the roof spars, so I'll have to practice with that a bit to make sure I don't screw anything up (bad pun, I know).

I also picked up a 4x8 sheet of alum. diamond plate and will lay that out to cover the front of the bed, behind the tongue box.

On with the pictures:

img_3991.jpg

img_4003.jpg

img_3996.jpg

img_3995.jpg

img_3992.jpg

Enjoy!

Don

-

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Nice work man. I like the Stainless latches. You painting it to match the Bronc? It ought to look sweet in that burgandy.
If you need to find some rubber isolators for that toolbox mounting, try looking for a set of Jeep TJ spare tire bumpers that mount to there tailgates. IIRC they have a center hole are perdy flat and about 2x3" as a bonus most folks pitch them when they put on a rear bumper and tire carrier. I mounted my toungue box solid to the fame and have never had any issues with cracking or anything.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I just found another box exactly like what you have on Craigslist... $200.00 bucks. I am going to pay for it in a couple weeks when we get to the states. It was mounted on a ranger rear, but I will be building my own frame rails. I also will just build a small rack for my RTT to mount on. I amd glad you are doing this one ahead of me...

Where did you get the new latches? The box I am getting has no keys, but I am wondering if it would be cheaper to get keys cut for it or buy new latches.

looks the same (very similar) to me?

3m73p33lcZZZZZZZZZ9411ddc4186b7c61d0d.jpg

3mc3o33p5ZZZZZZZZZ94144848d0c5b0b12dd.jpg

3ne3mc3o4ZZZZZZZZZ941568e687ab7a8180e.jpg

~James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger