Discovery 2 tablet install

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Started to get my RAM mount installed into the D2 last night, here is a (poor) pic of the bracket I've made to take the 'Adjusta mount' that will get the 5" post tight to the tunnel. Next I need to make a couple of tubular spacers for the front top & bottom brackets as the noise insulation foam under the carpet is about 1.5" thick on the tunnel.

More pics to follow once I get the next box of parts from RAM.... just waiting for the mail :drool:

Andy

Ram_bracket.jpg

Last edited:
M

MuddyOval

Are you concerned at all that the passenger will hit their heel or leg on that mount? My Jotto Desk mount doesn't stick out as far and people still manage to bump it with an ankle or heel once in a while. I cut the carpet back, removed the insulation and most of the mount is under the carpet now- you might want to consider pulling the insulation.

LandyAndy

Adventurer
I tried it and didn't think it was that bad, I've made the spacers to account for the insulation and will see how it goes. I can always add some padding around it at a later date.

KE5QVT

Observer
another option

Here is what I did to make the floor mount. THen you can mount the actual tablet mount or whatever you choose to the top section. You can then disconnect the top mount and remove it when you want some extra room.

Attachments

• IMG000081.gif
    IMG000081.gif
    62.1 KB · Views: 181

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Neat looking mount Tom, is it copper pipe or plastic tube ?

A friend of mine own's a Land Rover repair shop so I'm going to see if he gets a D2 in for parts & will get some carpet to make a cover to fit over the mount. That should stop any heel bruises & make it look more factory.

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Mr Fedex left me a calling card yesterday.... just waiting for him to re-deliver now.... :drool:

Took the truck out at the weekend for a drive on the local FSR's and the lower mount assy wasn't too much of a problem for the wife after a bit of seat adjustment. Will prob have to wrap it in carpet at some point but no real probs. Main aim is to get it usable with Backroad Map books & Ozi-Explorer. I do wish that I'd paid a bit more for the IX325 and got one that has the 'finger' touch screen and not just the digitizer. Worth thinking about if your going this route.

Scott Brady

Founder
I ran the RAM mount in my Tacoma for the Arctic Ocean trip, and it was supremely useful with so many driving hours. When I was not driving, I could work on the laptop. However, despite RAM's best efforts, the mounts are still noisy and shake/move/flex.

RAM_tough_tray.JPG

At the end of the day, I just found a laptop running next to me to be a distraction. I stare at glowing rectangular screens so much, I just had to put it away when in the outdoors. I still bring a laptop along on my trips, but keep it in the case. If if get really lost, I get a tea from the fridge and fire up the laptop, plug in the GPS and reference the topos, etc. Current model GPS units are robust, small, easy to use devices that reliably record a track and display basic road and topo data.

I guess I have come full circle.

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Here are the latest pic's of my tablet install using Ram mount components & a custom turned aluminium pin to fit between the swing arm & the hinged 1.5" ball mount. Will run it like this for a while as I might trim the top tube of the pillar to lower the complete assy by about 1.5".

Next to install the Lind power adaptor & get it wired into the GPS puck on the roof.

Andy

Ram_1.jpg

Ram_2.jpg

Ram_3.jpg

Ram_4.jpg

Last edited:

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Andy,
What type of tablet is that?? Looks like a really nice setup!

Cheers,
Jabber

Hi Jabber,

It's a General Dynamics Itronix IX325, got it off Ebay for $300, although it's only the digitizer version. I do have another coming that's both digitizer & touch screen but for using Ozi-Explorer a digitizer works just fine.

Cheers,
Andy

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Got back for a weekend in the BC bush & did about 200km's on FSR's & tracks. The GPS worked excellent & the wife had no problems using Ozi-Explorer to navigate the maze of roads. The ability to swing the tablet from the passanger side to the drivers was a real bonus as it allowed me to concentrate on the driving whilst she watched for the road junctions, swinging it round to me if to show me where we were from time to time.

All in all a great first time out trial :wings:

Finished install pic's :

Ram_5.jpg

Ram_6.jpg

Ram_7.jpg

Last edited:

disco 03

Hi Landy Andy, a question, please. What Ram mount did you use for the floor/seat base? I want to mount a laptop, and would prefer to use one of the no drill non-tripods.Your vehicle appears to be a DII, and your setup for the tablet looks great, and I figure I could sub the laptop mount for the tablet mount.
Thanks,
Eric

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Hi Eric,

I fabricated my own mount as RAM don't manufacture one that'll fit the contour of the tunnel. Yep, my trucks a DII & I went with the bolted mount as I'll be using it on forest roads & no roads her in BC. I didn't think the tripod would be secure enough.

Cheers,
Andy

disco 03

Thanks for the reply, Andy. You don't happen to have a pic of the mount you could share, do you? Did you bolt to the floor, or the tunnel?.
Thank you,
Eric

LandyAndy

Adventurer
The mount is bolted in three places, front seat mounting bolt and two into the tunnel one above and one below the mounting face. I put tubular spacers on the bolts between the brackets and the tunnel for the thick floor insulation. Also put large 'mud guard' washers on the back side of the tunnel to spread the load as it's quite thin metal.

Attachments

• Ram_bracket.jpg
    Ram_bracket.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger