Pindabunna Station - Outback Western Australia - 4 days 1500kms

mrbishi

Adventurer
DAY 1

With the Challenger packed the previous night we started the day at 5am brimming with anticipation after a restless sleep. I never seem to be able to sleep very well before a big trip - I'm like a kid before Christmas.

We made our way in light traffic to the meeting point at Bindoon Bakery. Arriving about 30min early we found Jayden & Chrissie and Cooko & family already there. They must have been as excited and ready to go as us!

The rest of the group rolled in on time and after a quick chat, coffee and breakfast sausage rolls we were finally on the road.

We made good time through the rolling hills past New Norcia. The new Boss adjustable shocks in the Challenger were working like a treat on the 9 setting. Fully loaded she ate up the bends and bumps on the less than perfect Great Northern highway with ease.

newnorciaiphone.jpg

The monastery at New Norcia

Finally the scenery started to change into more open farming country. We pulled into Wubin for a quick refuel and stretch of the legs. It was here that I found out that I was the only petrol vehicle with the group at this stage - everyone else had to line up for the diesel bowser :D

Back on the road again after overtaking a couple of road trains (worked really well being on the radio letting those in the back know when it was clear) we hit "The Outback". The roads became smooth, long and flat with views as far as the eye could see. The vegetation became sparser and the ground a mix of wild flowers and red dirt.

outbackroad_1.jpg

Welcome to the Outback

outbackroad_2.jpg

The familiar signs from when I did my trip to Broome

After a good stretch of driving we pulled into Paynes Find Roadhouse. This was the last chance to fuel up and gather any last minute supplies before we headed out into station country for the next 3 days.

3965082609_30e7d8b5b7.jpg

Getting supplies at Paynes Find

Paynes Find is approximately 430km north east of Perth and was a former gold mining town. These days all that remains is a few run down buildings and a roadhouse.

3965104775_9bf4098a3e.jpg

Welcome to the Outback and red dust

From Paynes Find we headed about another km up the highway and turned off onto the unsealed Paynes-Sandstone road. It was at this point it truly felt like the adventure had begun. With everyone aired down and spread out in convoy due to the thick red dust, we did approximately 40km before turning off into a little side track onto Pindabunna Station.

3966029050_b7b89186f6.jpg

Some of the vehicles on the trip

mrbishi

Adventurer
After passing a cool old broken windmill, run down stockyards and 2 nice looking rocky outcrops (which we later drove up) we hit a fenceline.

3966096230_edeebf42dd.jpg

The old windmill

3965212102_1f37dbbe3d.jpg

Old Stockyards - photo by Talia

Jayden then led us to a magnificent rocky breakaway which we drove around and up the top to be treated to stunning views over the surrounding country.

3965240263_081bcd30fe.jpg

The Challenger

3965884918_0fb75034a4.jpg

Magnificent Views!

3965893096_0a09075274.jpg

One of the station fencelines

It was decided to explore a bit more and we crossed the dry Warne river bed but didn't find anywhere better so headed back to the breakaway to setup camp.

3965234397_dbff306364.jpg

Checking the map

3965309409_f16d4abb91.jpg

Part of the rocky breakaway (range) that we camped next to. It stretched for KMs

3965262193_f411c57247.jpg

The campsite

3965268585_daefff5e55.jpg

Home

mrbishi

Adventurer
Beers were cracked, a campfire lit and we all started the process of setting up our tents/swags and getting comfortable.

3964375745_a98e853ff8.jpg

Me relaxing - photo by Talia

A few decided explore the caves around the breakaway and were rewarded with finding some Aboriginal hand art as well as a couple of goat and kangaroo carcasses and a big Perentie (monitor lizard) that had obviously dragged them up there and had been snacking on them.

3966139430_975edba754.jpg

Aboriginal Hand Art

3966076640_8601ddd881.jpg

Exploring

3965280829_1e48ec2bb9.jpg

Carcasses

By this stage the sun was setting, chairs were dragged around the fire and the beer was flowing. The trusty cast iron grill was put over some hot coals and loaded up with steak and sausages. There's something about cooking on a fire that just makes stuff taste so good!! I absolutely murdered the steak and sausages (had a huge appetite) and washed them down with more beer. Talia who isn't a huge steak eater even raved on about how good it was!

3965045714_39be8e390c.jpg

Me getting the cooking fire going - photo by Talia

After a pretty full on day driving most of the crew were fairly knackered and clambered into their swags/tents for some shut-eye. A few of us stayed up gazing into the fire and the crystal clear star filled night sky, discussing important subjects like beer, 4wds and camping before calling it a night.

At about 3 in the morning I was awoken by mournful howls in the distance and thought I was dreaming until Suzie also mentioned she had heard it. We figured it was either dingos or wild dogs roaming around.

Two particularly hardcore ladies (Bec and Talia) decided to stay up till 4am drinking and put all the boys to shame. Though they did pay for it the next day :D

more to come ......

mrbishi

Adventurer
DAY 2

Talia and I woke breifly to an incredible sunrise through the tent window, but alas the sleeping bags were way too comfortable and we decided to sleep in another hour or so and get up early the next morning. We awoke at a reasonable time, did the dishes from the night before and devoured some breakfast next to the campfire.

The weather was beautiful - warm, sunny with a nice refreshing breeze blowing across camp. It remained this way for the entire weekend!

3965150312_e5ba634dd6.jpg

It can't get much better than this - photo by Talia

While others were getting ready to head into Paynes Find Roadhouse to watch the AFL Grand Final we relaxed with Cooko & family waiting for 10:30am to swing around so we could go meet Jeff & family out at the turn off.

Talia jumped behind the wheel and we had a leisurely drive back out to the turn off. About 10min later Jeff in the big Patrol rounded the bend, dust bellowing from behind him.

3965316447_63a42a05a6.jpg

Jeff bringing the big patrol into camp

Leading them back toward the campsite we decided to stop at the old stock yards and windmill and take some photos of the surrounding area. It was here we were treated to seeing some huge Wedge Tailed Eagles hovering in the thermals and feeding on a dead carcas.

3965212102_1f37dbbe3d.jpg

The run down stockyards and windmill - photo by Talia

3966111448_e57b984fc6.jpg

The photography crew snapping away

A short while later we were back into camp. With Jeff and family setup there was nothing left to do but open the awnings, crack a cold beer, throw a few snags on the BBQ and have a lazy few hours chatting, catching up and listening to the football.

3965272112_82fc7c2342.jpg

Slip Slop and Slap - photo by Talia

After a few hours of relaxing I was getting itchy to go for an explore. I gathered up the troops and we drove back out and decided to tackle both the rocky hills (Meroin Rock and Meergoon hill) we had seen on the way in. It was a fun little challenge and the views from the top were definately worth it. We added a few rocks to the cairn on top, had a beer and took some photos of the surrounding country.

3966167168_5f7de0f51b.jpg

On top of Meergoon hill

3966160848_2cb3217dd4.jpg

Having a beer on top of Meroin Rock

3965783230_b35936e762.jpg

Michael next to the Rock Cairn on Meergoon Hill

mrbishi

Adventurer
After heading back into camp some choose to have a bit of an afternoon nap/relax while some of us went on a bit of a hike along the base of the rocky breakaway that we were camped in front. There were many very cool caves to explore and I want to go back at some stage and hike further (the breakaway extended as far as the eye could see!).

3966149886_ecc08f17ab.jpg

Amazing caves and rock formations along the bottom of the breakaway

3966149568_a44b0b0cbf.jpg

The breakaway extended for Kms and Kms - so much to explore!

By this point it was getting late in the day and the others had returned to camp. There was nothing further to do then put the camp oven on the fire filled with a tasty Japanese curry, drink and be merry. I managed to take a couple of star trails and at one point with Cooko's help got the fire cranking!

3965297571_cb4474004b.jpg

Star Trail near camp

3965332199_9346dc9491.jpg

Getting merry and getting the fire going! - photo by Talia

more to come.....

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Great thread and pictures! Nice to read and see the different trip report styles.

The rest of the group rolled in on time and after a quick chat, coffee and breakfast sausage rolls we were finally on the road.

Ah yes, the sausage roll, never had one before moving here. They can be dangerously addictive. :sombrero:

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Ive been up that quite a few times and its always an adventure with something new to see.
I just hate the Perth to Wubin stretch though.

Great report:smiley_drive:

mrbishi

Adventurer
Ive been up that quite a few times and its always an adventure with something new to see.
I just hate the Perth to Wubin stretch though.

Great report:smiley_drive:

It's awesome country that way for sure - I really want to do more exploring of that area.

You're right about the Perth to Wubin stretch - doesn't feel like your on the road till after that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan