Dash Cam Hardware / Software Demo

TrailTrackers

Observer
I am finally just about set up the way I want to be for a total trip documentation solution. After completing a great deal of research in my attempt to find just the right equipment that would satisfy my requirements, it was just this last Friday (Feb. 19th) that I received my new Logitech Webcam Pro 9000; I ordered it through Wally World via their Site-2-Store program. No shipping fees and the store is only about a mile from my home pretty much makes it a no-brainer.

Without turning this into a trip report type documentary, and without any further ado, I'll just describe my current hardware & software setup as follows:

Dell XPS M1530 Laptop
Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Intel Core2 Duo CPU @ 2.00 GHz
3GB RAM
320G Hard Drive

Lind DC Power Adapter - Model # DE2045-1320

Ram Laptop Mount

320GB WD Passport
Logitech Webcam Pro 9000
Garmin GPS Receiver 20X
Sony IC Recorder: ICD-PX720

Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack
National Geographic TOPO! State
Garmin Mobile PC
Franson GpsGate 2.6
Sony Digital Voice Editor 3
PhotoRazor

Jeep Dashcam Demo

IMG_8238.jpg

This was a trial run up to Farmington Canyon in Farmington, UT, Davis Co. I will be streaming video directly onto the Passport so as to not fill up the internal drive, which would result in a degradation of performance as the internal hard drive filled up.

For this video, I had the camera sitting on the dash with the bottom leg wedged in between the dash and my sport cage bar that is closely situated to the dash. Like I said, this was my first attempt at video documentation. I'm actually quite pleased with the overall quality of the video for me being a beginner at this; I'm sure my editing skills will increase as I get more used to the video editing software. I love the webcam as a dash cam, and I love the Sony editing software. Imo it was pretty easy to figure out using the built in beginner tutorials. Incidentally, this was also my first upload onto YouTube.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way this is all turning out. My goal has always been to fully document our family trips and to pass all these memories down to the kids after the wife and I are dead and buried.

There is one more thing (well, at least this “one more thing”) on my must have list; a dual battery setup. That is currently in the works.

So what do you guys think? Is there anything I'm missing?

Last edited:

TrailTrackers

Observer
Very NICE setup!

Thanks!

And it occurred to me that I forgot to ask my main question in the initial post. My weak point in this system is the inverter. I want to find the smallest (size wise) inverter possible, with the minimum output specifications:

19.5V @ 4.62A

Any suggestions. I don't really care about the price because there is no getting around the power requirements of the system. If anybody knows of a good one, the information would be most helpful and very much appreciated.

AveryS

Nice, well thought out, set up.

A few years ago I did something kind of similar I used a Sony GY1000 DV Tape recorder and a 520 TV line POV camera. The vehicle was a Ridge Runner. I never did ever figure out an elegant way to merge video with GPS data and found out it was way to daunting to edit my trips down to a watchable video. The Arizona dust took it tole on equipment and I lost interest. Your set up sounds like its much better and will work great.

Looking forward to seeing some of your adventures.

762X39

Explorer
Thanks!

My weak point in this system is the inverter. I want to find the smallest (size wise) inverter possible, with the minimum output specifications:

19.5V @ 4.62A

Any suggestions. I don't really care about the price because there is no getting around the power requirements of the system. If anybody knows of a good one, the information would be most helpful and very much appreciated.
Do you mean a power supply for your laptop? If you do try this link http://www.lindelectronics.com/cgi-bin/store/shop.cgi/!ORDERID!/aaa/x/dbx_gen_aaa_mfgs/ :coffee:

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
Very nice setup! I am about to do a very similar setup with a Logitech Orbit I already have and my HP Mini netbook, which is about to become the truck-computer full time. If the netbook can't handle recording the stream I'll move up to something else but I believe it should handle it just fine. I'm also going to experiment with live streaming just for kicks. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing more videos from you!

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
Thanks!

And it occurred to me that I forgot to ask my main question in the initial post. My weak point in this system is the inverter. I want to find the smallest (size wise) inverter possible, with the minimum output specifications:

19.5V @ 4.62A

Based on those requirements you would need a 91w inverter to power your equipment, however that would leave no room for spikes such as when the laptop boots or reboots. I would recommend at least a 150w inverter just to soak up any spike loads. I use a 300w model from AutoZone and with 2 laptops connected it sometimes goes into overload if one is rebooting and the other's DVD drive is spinning up.

TrailTrackers

Observer
Do you mean a power supply for your laptop? If you do try this link http://www.lindelectronics.com/cgi-bin/store/shop.cgi/!ORDERID!/aaa/x/dbx_gen_aaa_mfgs/ :coffee:

Thanks a bunch. This was the exact sort of response I was hoping for. I sent them an email inquiring about one of their inverters. The thing I'm concerned about though is that one of their units (Lind DC Power Adapter - Model # DE20-19-1879) is rated at:
Output Voltage 20 VDC & 19VDC Output Current 4.5 amps (max) / 3 amps (max).

According to their web site, the aforementioned adapter is indicated to handle the XPS-1530, which is what I have. However, the power adapter that actually came with the laptop is listed 90W : 19.5V @ 4.62A. Maybe I'm missing something because that just isn't adding up to me. In any case, their reply to my email may alleviate my confusion.

And thanks to everyone else too. I'll be sure to post more video as time permits and from here on out concerning the trips we take.

TrailTrackers

Observer
Nice, well thought out, set up.

A few years ago I did something kind of similar I used a Sony GY1000 DV Tape recorder and a 520 TV line POV camera. The vehicle was a Ridge Runner. I never did ever figure out an elegant way to merge video with GPS data and found out it was way to daunting to edit my trips down to a watchable video. The Arizona dust took it tole on equipment and I lost interest. Your set up sounds like its much better and will work great.

Looking forward to seeing some of your adventures.

You sure aren't kidding about "a few years ago" if you were using a tape recorder. :Wow1:

Merging video with the maps was also one of my concerns, and the fact that the webcam is USB solves that problem as the video timestamping is using the same clock as the GPS / Topo Map is.

The only other thing to worry about is how to sync the still shots to the map. However, I have heard that there is now software for that and if I remember correctly, there is at least one that is free. I'll be checking into that in the near future.

And I agree with the time it takes to actually edit the video into something watchable. Even with that 4:22 first video I think it took me around 3 hrs. or so. But I do attribute a lot of that time to the learning curve. I'm pretty committed to the video component of my trip documentation though, so hopefully I'll beat the curve and learn the Sony Vegas Suite quickly. :wings:

ocean_explorer

Thanks a bunch. This was the exact sort of response I was hoping for. I sent them an email inquiring about one of their inverters. The thing I'm concerned about though is that one of their units (Lind DC Power Adapter - Model # DE20-19-1879) is rated at:
Output Voltage 20 VDC & 19VDC Output Current 4.5 amps (max) / 3 amps (max).

According to their web site, the aforementioned adapter is indicated to handle the XPS-1530, which is what I have. However, the power adapter that actually came with the laptop is listed 90W : 19.5V @ 4.62A. Maybe I'm missing something because that just isn't adding up to me. In any case, their reply to my email may alleviate my confusion.

And thanks to everyone else too. I'll be sure to post more video as time permits and from here on out concerning the trips we take.

I believe you have the incorrect power adapter, it is a dual output system - look here for the adapter specified for your computer - http://www.lindelectronics.com/cgi-...ERID!/aaa/DE2045T-1675/dbx_gen_detail_product
This single output DC to DC converter boosts an input voltage of 11 to 16 volts up to 20 volts at 4.5 amps max. This is the converter (adapter) listed for you laptop.
You have put together a very nice system! I have been looking for something like this and appreciate the work you have put into it.

TrailTrackers

Observer
I believe you have the incorrect power adapter, it is a dual output system - look here for the adapter specified for your computer - http://www.lindelectronics.com/cgi-...ERID!/aaa/DE2045T-1675/dbx_gen_detail_product
This single output DC to DC converter boosts an input voltage of 11 to 16 volts up to 20 volts at 4.5 amps max. This is the converter (adapter) listed for you laptop.
You have put together a very nice system! I have been looking for something like this and appreciate the work you have put into it.

Thanks!

The one that you indicate does indeed also list the XPS-M1530. I guess the reason why my eyes settled on the previous one is because it's description indicates something about a portable printer. And it also specifically says that it has a temp. cutout circuit with auto reset. I've been accused of being a "thinker aheader" and I was just thinking that on the off chance (and I really mean extreme off chance) that I were to ever get a notion to include a portable printer I would already have the right adapter for that too. And it's only listed at 10 bucks more.

But even the one that you list indicates 4.5A (max). I admit that it has been quite a few years since college, and I've pretty much purged my brain of all the electrical stuff I learned (I'm a software engineer), but shouldn't a car adapter be rated at the same as a home adapter for the same computer (read power requirements)? It seems like I'd be running it at max. capacity all the time.

My old laptop ran perfectly on a little 400W @3.75A inverter, but when I tried using that one for this XPS, the yellow light on the inverter stayed on, so my guess was the XPS was asking for more than that little inverter could handle. I sure wouldn't mind a quick refresher on this subject from someone on here that can explain it. Or I guess I could just Google it. :)

But in the end, something like one of these Lind models is exactly what I was looking for, so I'm sure I'll get one of the models listed. I want to mount this thing "permanently" in the Jeep, and these are built just for that application.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Very nice setup, Brad! :sombrero:

You'll have to find a different way of mounting the camera to increase your field of view and not show us so much of your cage bar. Also if you can get amount that puts the camera in such a position that you can rotate it, swivel, ball joint; it will allow you to focus more on the parts of the trip you want to record for posterity. :coffee:

BTW: try looking on eBay for your needs, much cheaper prices...I got a DC Auto adapter for my AAO for 1.99 versus the link above for 59.99 :costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

ocean_explorer

Thanks!

The one that you indicate does indeed also list the XPS-M1530. I guess the reason why my eyes settled on the previous one is because it's description indicates something about a portable printer. And it also specifically says that it has a temp. cutout circuit with auto reset. I've been accused of being a "thinker aheader" and I was just thinking that on the off chance (and I really mean extreme off chance) that I were to ever get a notion to include a portable printer I would already have the right adapter for that too. And it's only listed at 10 bucks more.

But even the one that you list indicates 4.5A (max). I admit that it has been quite a few years since college, and I've pretty much purged my brain of all the electrical stuff I learned (I'm a software engineer), but shouldn't a car adapter be rated at the same as a home adapter for the same computer (read power requirements)? It seems like I'd be running it at max. capacity all the time.

My old laptop ran perfectly on a little 400W @3.75A inverter, but when I tried using that one for this XPS, the yellow light on the inverter stayed on, so my guess was the XPS was asking for more than that little inverter could handle. I sure wouldn't mind a quick refresher on this subject from someone on here that can explain it. Or I guess I could just Google it. :)

But in the end, something like one of these Lind models is exactly what I was looking for, so I'm sure I'll get one of the models listed. I want to mount this thing "permanently" in the Jeep, and these are built just for that application.

A dual output adapter is a good choice if there is a possibility of adding a peripheral in the future.
A few notes on laptop power consumption which should help in understanding the max amp rating of the AC wall wart charger/Lind DC power adapter. The battery in your laptop is rated for 56 watt hours at 11.1 volts when new. Tests indicate the average run time on battery power (new battery) is about 2.15 hours in a typical operating condition. Thank back to watts = amps x volts. 56 watt hours/2.15 hours run time is equal to 26 watts. Plugging in and solving for amps gives a value of 2.3 amps. This is your laptop's current draw under an operating condition in which the battery lasts for a little over 2 hours. If you have not done it already, consider running your system on battery power in the maximum consumption configuration and see how long it takes to run the battery down. The condition of the battery will also play a role in how long it lasts under load. If you can run your system for an hour and assume an 80% battery capacity then your system is drawing about 4 amps. Some of the difference between the amp rating on the charger and the current draw when the laptop is operating is going towards charging the battery. I am sure there is a fuse in the laptop power circuit which is rated at somewhat less that the max amperage of the charger.
Hope this helps.
Jim

TrailTrackers

Observer
Very nice setup, Brad! :sombrero:

You'll have to find a different way of mounting the camera to increase your field of view and not show us so much of your cage bar. Also if you can get amount that puts the camera in such a position that you can rotate it, swivel, ball joint; it will allow you to focus more on the parts of the trip you want to record for posterity. :coffee:

BTW: try looking on eBay for your needs, much cheaper prices...I got a DC Auto adapter for my AAO for 1.99 versus the link above for 59.99 :costumed-smiley-007

Thanks Jan!

That's actually the axe and shovel and mounting bracket that you are seeing towards the bottom of that video. My first thought was to actually put it above the mirror, but there wasn't a readily available method to keep it up there. The leg of the camera fit tightly between the cage bar and the dash by pushing down the dash and sliding the leg in; it was super tight in that location.

Just this afternoon, I spent about 15 mins. sitting in the Jeep just checking things out and holding the camera above the mirror. I want to try it there, but I have to first find a way to "temporarily" mount it there to give it a test run. I suspect it would be better up there, but there actually isn't much space above the mirror, and I don't want to drill any mounting holes into the trim piece until I'm sure that's the camera's final location.

And you are right, if I do end up mounting it up there, I'll have to find some way to put it on a swivel so that it can be rotated both directions. I'm open for suggestions concerning a mounting method. If you (or anybody else) have/has a device in mind that will allow me to mount it with a swivel above the mirror I'm all ears.

I've been checking around a bit concerning the inverter/adapter. Although I appreciate the suggestion, I really can't see myself ever purchasing anything off eBay. It's just my personal opinion, (I'm sure that a lot of people get good deals from eBay) but I just won't take a chance on getting ripped off on that site. I'd rather pay a bit more and have the piece of mind that the product will be replaced without incident should something go wrong.

Sorta off topic and I don't mean to be changing the subject, but I can't wait until April for that SRS trip. I can see the days getting longer already. :smiley_drive:

TrailTrackers

Observer
A dual output adapter is a good choice if there is a possibility of adding a peripheral in the future.
A few notes on laptop power consumption which should help in understanding the max amp rating of the AC wall wart charger/Lind DC power adapter. The battery in your laptop is rated for 56 watt hours at 11.1 volts when new. Tests indicate the average run time on battery power (new battery) is about 2.15 hours in a typical operating condition. Thank back to watts = amps x volts. 56 watt hours/2.15 hours run time is equal to 26 watts. Plugging in and solving for amps gives a value of 2.3 amps. This is your laptop's current draw under an operating condition in which the battery lasts for a little over 2 hours. If you have not done it already, consider running your system on battery power in the maximum consumption configuration and see how long it takes to run the battery down. The condition of the battery will also play a role in how long it lasts under load. If you can run your system for an hour and assume an 80% battery capacity then your system is drawing about 4 amps. Some of the difference between the amp rating on the charger and the current draw when the laptop is operating is going towards charging the battery. I am sure there is a fuse in the laptop power circuit which is rated at somewhat less that the max amperage of the charger.
Hope this helps.
Jim

This helps a ton Jim. Thanks!

I may just give it a test like you describe. But in any case, I don't have any more misgivings about the Lind adapter not matching perfectly with the Dell adapter. Thanks for taking the time to put the ole' jumper cables on my memory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan