Saline Salt Tram Inyo Mtns California

teotwaki

Excelsior!
After frantically loading up gear, my daughter and I drove up early Friday afternoon to Lone Pine and stayed overnight. Early Saturday morning the adventure started here:

and soon we were winding our way through washes and canyons with my daughter driving the first 17 miles. Her first time at the wheel for offroading and she did great!

two thumbs up :smiley_drive:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
How could we resist the detour to the Burgess Mine that we saw on the GPS? It was time for lunch anyhow and what a scenic spot!

and having lunch gave my daughter lots of energy!

interesting graffiti says we were not the first to drop in

teotwaki

Excelsior!
After 17 miles of fun wheeling through mud, rocks and snow we reached the tram keeper's cabin to stay Saturday night.

But first we just had to explore the tram's highest transfer station

Left

Middle

Right

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The cabin is roughly at 8500' and has stunning views of the Owens valley and the Sierras. It has had a lot of restoration work done and a lot to go. Sure beat a tent!

spacious deck

good for naps before sunset

one of 5 rooms

"kitchen" area with a view

teotwaki

Excelsior!
We made dinner by lantern light and turned in by 9PM. After breakfast we repacked everything and were on our way towards Cerro Gordo. Now it was my turn to drive. A funny thing happened along the way; the only car we saw the whole time was coming from the opposite direction and it was a silver 4unner like mine!

After another 7 miles of interesting trail we came to the official end of the mountain road even though we had a ways to go

We spotted the Cerro Gordo ghost town but elected to bypass it

saw this bucket WAYYYYY up high

can you see it against the sky in the upper left area towards the peak?

close up

and saw this too

Darren

Adventurer
Real nice set of pictures and thanks for putting up so many. It looks like it was a good trip. I assume you needed a reservation for the cabin? The weapon area sure is a bit peculiar looking to say the least. Interesting.

Edit: Okay, I didn't follow that this was part of a movie set.

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Darren said:
Real nice set of pictures and thanks for putting up so many. It looks like it was a good trip. I assume you needed a reservation for the cabin? The weapon area sure is a bit peculiar looking to say the least. Interesting.

The cabin is first come first served. It was a joint restoration effort between the BLM and volunteers.

The "weapons" are all part of a movie set for yet another comic book hero named "Iron Man".

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice trip and kudos for getting the kiddo involved.

I traveled some of that same area last November for the first time. Definitely some fun trails and random stuff to see. The views from the Salt Tram and the cabin were amazing.

Cool photos and nice looking 4th Gen.
:campfire:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179