Mark's DC Tacoma

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I guess it's about time I start one of these....

How about a little background before I begin with the goodies? In October of 2001 I was in the market for a truck - primary interest being pre 2001 tacomas. At the time I didn't like the front end of the 01 and up tacomas, I also thought the double cabs looked out of proportion with that cute little bed. I'll be honest, I even heavily considered a ford explorer. In the end I decided to go with reliability and went for the toyota and the silver one is what I ended up with. Yes, it's exactly what I said I didn't like haha. I was dying for a 4wd but being 19 at the time and dependant on my parents for making the insurance payment my dad put his foot down and made me get the prerunner. I'm embarrassed to admit being young and ignorant I didn't really know what I wanted to do with the truck so I ended up spending lots of time and money into it. (Pre TTORA -->) it went from having king coilovers to king coilovers and procomp 4" with kings in the rear on blocks (post TTORA -->) which eventually were replaced with Deavers, and finally - nixed the PC 4" for donahoes and camburg upper control arms. Yes, it was stupid, yes I learned a major and important lesson.

November 2004, 2wd definitely wasn't cutting it so I parted and sold the truck (thank god I ended up not losing very much money overall). Convinced that the Tacoma is a very dominant off road capable vehicle I wanted the exact same thing but with 4wd. So I found exactly that in impulse red, not my first choice for color but living in a metro area 4wd DC's were kind of rare at the time. The jist of it: 2002 DC TRD V6, 54,000 miles.

Ok, now with the goodies! Let's see if I can keep this interesting, I'll try to list my mods in chronological order. There were only a couple things from my prerunner that made it on to the 4wd:

Can-Back/Roof Rack- It's the powdercoated steel version. I wish I had the stainless version for it's weight carrying capacity and it's resilliance to rust. On paper the powdercoated steel version is rated for 150lbs. I spent a little time talking to the creator and other employees of can-back and they said that 150 is a very safe weight to carry, but it's a very well capable to sustain weight. They told me about a can-back fitted tacoma that rolled in Azusa Canyon and the can-back held up extremely well, which just recently I found out was Allen, a member of this forum. In a nutshell it's strong as hell, especially static, like for uh uhhh roof top tent or something =)

I love the soft top, it looks saaaweeeet and it's very functional. My only two gripes: 1. I wish it was weather tite. 2. I wish it was easier to keep the sides up while accessing the bed (I have an idea to resolve this)

Don't get me wrong, it withstands water perfectly in regards to the fabric. Having four individual sides (front/rear/sides) it lets in water at the corners where the sides meet. It's minimal but when you have clothes or other things you don't want wet than any water is a lot.

When the sides are rolled up they are heald by a belt and tensioner (don't know what it's called) it's like those things on backpacks that are used to adjust it's fitting. You have to fish the nylon belt through, back over and through again and when the belt starts to fray it gets harder trying to "fish". When you want something out of the bed and want to get in and out it kind of sucks having to do all that. So I think what I'll do is somehow mount an elastic loop on the inside of the can-back. So when I want the sides up (not while driving, just static) I can unsnap the bottom, grab the loop and hook it to the uprights for the roof rack - voila - no fishing. I hope I'm making sense - it's late and I'm tired =)

Lights - I kept my two LightFORCE 170's which were previously mounted on a demello front lightbar and will be going on a demello front bumper.

Now for the new stuff...first stop - Demello Offroad

Oh wait, before I went there I put in a Hayden tranny cooler - I believe it's the 579 model. Found it at pep boys for about 60 bucks. Stock, there isn't much cooling for the tranny (bottom of radiator) and I knew that with what I wanted to do it'd be best to cool the tranny, especially for longevity. Ignore the hoses in the picture - it was very temporary =)

Now for DO: Donahoe's/Deaver 8's/Bils.5100's/Hybrid Sliders/front winch bumper

I think everybody knows about this stuff. Suspension lift that rides awesome! Some protection and improved approach angle and option to mount winch and lights.

Goodyear MT/R 32x1150 and steelies - Awesome traction! Heavy rims!

More to come...feel free to any questions!

Here's the prerunner...
prerunner.jpg

prerunner1.jpg

Here's the tranny cooler (hayden 679)
Misc073.jpg

Here's the bumper, front view,
Misc069.jpg

top view,
Misc070.jpg

Misc163.jpg

Misc161.jpg

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Nice to see another DC! I have been waiting for this since I got a glimpse of you DC in your other post...

I know how hard it is to find a 4wd DC... I spent 7 months looking for one here in PHX.

Love the Can-Back... where did you pick your up at?

Wil

Mlachica

flyingwil,

Wow 7 months!!! That's a really long time.

I bought mine direct from can-back in azusa,ca.

Scott,

Thanks to you, I have a place to hang out :gunt:

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be attending this year :( With a 15 month old and lots of local trips it's hard to make longer trips. I'm dying to go back to AZ, such a beautiful area and I can't wait to make my virgin trip to mexico. :arabia: Maybe I'll see you around...

Mlachica

Suspension test

Here are a few pics of the donahoe deaver combo flexin'

Whether flying through the woops or crawling over rocks, this setup rocks!
fast.jpg

slow1.jpg

slow2.jpg

slow.jpg

Last edited:

Mlachica

sliders

And here's some pictures of DO's hybrid sliders

It doesn't look like I'm touching the rock, you'll just have to trust me that my truck is resting on it!
sliders1.jpg

sliders.jpg

Last edited:

Mlachica

brakes

Shortly after the lift/sliders/front bumper were added I went for a quick jaunt through the snow in big bear. With an unloaded truck on my descent home I had some serious brake fade towards the bottom, I used my brakes a lot but I didn't think I was that hard on them. So I wanted to improve my braking. I decided to go with iRotors zinc plated slotted Brembo rotors and porterfield racing R4-S carbon-kevlar pads. What I like about iRotors is that the milled slots are longer than others, they actually extend past the pad allowing the gases to escape which improves the cooling. I chose not to go with the cross drilled/slotted because I've heard of rocks and debris getting stuck in the holes when driving through mud and water crossings ruining the pads. And as for the pads they were recommended to me by a lot of my rice rocket friends.

Installation was a breeze, all that's intailed is removing the wheel, removing the caliper and the rotor comes right out. Then there's some retaining clips/springs that hold the pads in that need to be removed. I opted not to replace the anti-squeal shims so I cleaned them off really well, applied some anti-squeal lube and put everything back together. Not knowing when the brake fluid was last changed I flushed and replaced it all with valvoline brake fluid. It took me about an hour start to finish.

I've been running this setup for about a year and 18k miles. After the break in I noticed this combination performs better when their warmed up. And once their warm it works grrreat. I've wheeled in big bear and back plenty of times with a loaded truck and 2 and 1/2 people. The only time I've experienced brake fade since then was with a loaded truck and intentionally riding the brakes. Because the pads are carbon-kevlar I do have reasonable amounts of dust but with black wheels it's really not a big deal to me. Squeaking only happens in really dusty conditions and always goes away upon the return home.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Thanks for the updates! So do you have issues with your brakes in cold weather climates?

Mlachica

flyingwil said:
Thanks for the updates! So do you have issues with your brakes in cold weather climates?

No, no issues. First thing in the morning you can tell the brakes are cold but it's negligible and it goes away almost instantly.

OldSven

Explorer
I was thinking about getting those wheels from Wheeler's for mine. How much heavier than the stock wheels? Did you get the Type "B", that is the one that sticks out further isn't it?

Nice truck:cool:

Mlachica

OldSven said:
I was thinking about getting those wheels from Wheeler's for mine. How much heavier than the stock wheels? Did you get the Type "B", that is the one that sticks out further isn't it?

Nice truck:cool:

Wow, you stumped me :shakin: . When I ordered these I got a part number from a friend which I no longer have. What I do know is that they are made by procomp. It's to my understanding that they are now made differently so they won't fit the 01-04 tacoma's (won't clear the caliper). But essentially they are the same as the wheelers off road type b wheels and according to their site they weigh in at 30lbs. And yes the type b wheels have a smaller backspacing = stick out farther. I hope this helps:confused:

OldSven

Explorer
Mlachica said:
Wow, you stumped me :shakin: . When I ordered these I got a part number from a friend which I no longer have. What I do know is that they are made by procomp. It's to my understanding that they are now made differently so they won't fit the 01-04 tacoma's (won't clear the caliper). But essentially they are the same as the wheelers off road type b wheels and according to their site they weigh in at 30lbs. And yes the type b wheels have a smaller backspacing = stick out farther. I hope this helps:confused:
It does help. So overall you like your canopy? I like that a regular hard canopy keeps everything locked up and dryer, but the canvas ones just look cooler:cool:

Mlachica

OldSven said:
It does help. So overall you like your canopy? I like that a regular hard canopy keeps everything locked up and dryer, but the canvas ones just look cooler:cool:

Oh man, I love it! For looks and functionality it gets :bowdown: from me...

Now if I were to set something up to sleep in the bed then I'd go for a traditional shell. I'd have to shrink quite a bit to be able to fit in the bed of my dc though :eek:

Mlachica

Vehicle Monitoring

With the added weight of all the steel, the rotating mass of the wheel/tire combination and the anticipated weight of passengers, camping gear and fuel I knew I'd be putting extensive stress on the drivetrain, particularly the transmission. Typical Toyota style = very basic gauge cluster. There's a water temp gauge, tach, speedo and fuel gauge, the rest are dummy lights. So to better monitor my tranny I decided to add a tranny temp gauge. It's a 2 1/16" auto meter phantom series tranny temp electric gauge. The phantom series offers a very anti bling, flat black bezel with a white face - to match the Toyota panel. With a red backlight it matches the Tacoma's interior almost perfectly.

Not only was I anticipating an extensive weight load (mass) I was also anticipating a heavy electrical load (amps). Again, Toyota fashion doesn't include a voltmeter so I wanted to monitor my charging system. I went with the same matching Autometer phantom voltmeter.

Here's a link to the Autometer Gauges

For a clean appearance and ease of visibility I went with the lo-tek dual gauge pillar pod. (thanks to Scott for sharing his resources) The color match and fit are basically perfect. However, with mine there's a black smudge underneath the voltmeter.

Link to the Pillar Pod

gaugepod.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears