Ford E350 7.3 Ambulance vs. EB Cargo Van, which one to buy and convert to 4X4 camper?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
You can get the F450 center jump seat console (with integrated seatbelt) that can be made to fit there, if you don't want a passthru. Or minivan jump seats from Odyssey's or Sienna's work well, too; but are pretty narrow.

I have the center seat from the Odyssey in my ambo at the moment. It is great with a clipped in childs seat but it does not have seat belts suitable for booster use. But now the grand daughter is getting into booster seats there is the F550 jump seat in the garage waiting to go in. The Odyssey seat was installed using the existing latch system so that getting the dogbox out was just as easy and it provides a couple of cup holders when not being sat in. The F550 jump seat will be bolted in place (with load plates under the floor). Removing the dogbox will be more of a challenge. The center console fits with both but the seats are unusable with it in there.

Neither leave much room in the front and using the pass through is very difficult. But I found with all the vans I have had that 99% of the time I hopped out of the vehicle and reentered by the side door anyway. for me as long as there is emergency access through from back to front I am happy.

So give me a couple of months (baja and expo this month) there will be a click in center seat and mounts (no seat belts) for sale.

One other difference between the pre 96 post 96 vans is the later ones have the explosive pre tensioner on the seat belts. Makes swapping seats a bit more of a PITA but IMHO the later dash is worth the seat pain.

skubadu

I like it, but depends what you want to use it for and how or where it will be parked.

Thought about using that configuration as a SCUBA Instruction/ support RV base camp.
Using the wheelchair lift in the rear to lift 12+ air cylinders and sets of dive equipment into the 'hold' or as a motorcycle/ toy hauler. Might have to look into a middle location variant of a chair-lift van for 24 tanks (1001 lbs) and 12 scuba gear sets (400 lbs) plus weights (250 lbs). Don't think I really want all that weight aft of the rear axle, but the rear lift would be OK for four or five divers and the interior esthetics would be more like a compact motor home.

Heat and hot water, external shower to keep warm or clean up with, post dive. A/C during the summer time with a sun side-shade and BBQ. A Queen size bed that hides up in the roof during the day and lowers to chest level to crawl into for night time use would be grand. Seating and entertainment would be at bus floor level.

4x4 sure would help on the unimproved, muddy roads leading into the lakes or in snow during winter, but for REAL off-roading. Not the best of choices.

BTW; A 4 inch UJOR lift please.

Skubadu

Last edited:

Jeffh555

Observer
They are less common, but you can find shuttle buses with regular passenger doors and seats. I think it would be nice for a RV application because you'll be spending a lot of time on the road and it would be a bit lonely if you're the only one up front.
shuttle-bus.jpg

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I sure like the video of you cruising through the desert in the e250. I have the e150 Club wagon that I converterd into a 4 person camper. I built a platform bed in the rear that sleeps 2 and kept the 2 bench seats. I plan on removing the front bench seat and making another hinged bed to sleep on at night. We have killer cargo space in this set up as well as plenty of passenger space. Currently, I can carry 9 people and sleep 4. When I remove the first bench, We will have a lot more sleeping room and can still carry 6 people.

Keep your old ford and build a platform bed.
8646336887_26f04b3863.jpg

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
I sure like the video of you cruising through the desert in the e250.

It was a blast and I'm looking forward to my next trip to Moab. I can honestly say that the size of my E250 (as well as my nerves) limited me more than not having 4 wheel drive. I was on a few trails where 2WD was all I needed but the trails were so narrow and the drop offs so steep that I decided to turn around or pull the KLR650 Dual Sport off the trailer hitch and continue on Motorcycle. There were certainly other things I did not even attempt however due to no 4x4 such as mud, deep sand and snow on Jeep trails with steep drop offs. Better brakes (and braking technique) are also something I should look into. Rather than using the engine to slow down I used a lot of brakes on a mountain road just west of Moab and almost started a fire. It took almost half an hour for them to cool and they have not been great ever since. New rotors and pads will be a must before my next mountain trip.

Also looking for a somewhat lighter dual purpose thumper to tie to the bumper. Torn between something practical like a Kawasaki Sherpa similar to a KLR 250, DR 350 or go nuts and get a KTM 500 or 535 which comes in at around 250 lbs dry vs my KLR 650 at over 400. I guess which bike I buy will depend somewhat on how much I spend with Chris at Ujoint and if there is anything left over :)

Will probably fabricate a new cycle rack/rear bumper. Something permanently welded to the frame and maybe incorporate a bottle jack or some type of lever to assist in lifting the bike. Was thinking of a ramp with a pivot point near where the front cycle tire goes. Then a jack to lift the back of the bike up to the proper height and a way to lock it there.

So many dreams, so little energy, money for toys and time off from work. Getting older sucks. When I was younger if I wanted to drive to Alaska I'd just hop in the car and do it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior