First post. Skamper 100s I'm restoring.

Deerhunter

I got a skamper popup truck camper from a friend of mine. I have owned many campers over the years but I'm really excited about this little camper. My wife HATES for me to take our family camper to deer camp, so I started looking for something for my hunting trips. It is in pretty good shape it has the typical ceiling issues as many others but I think I got to it before it got too bad. It rolls up and down very good and I think everything works, so that's good. I'm going to remove the roof next week and redo the ceiling, all the wood in the roof looks to be in good shape so it should make things a little better. I will start taking pictures and posting them next week as I start my restoration project. I will welcome all your input on this project.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey Deerhunter! Welcome to the Portal. Congrats on the skamper. I am sure with some elbow grease you will have that thing dialed in no time. I am looking forward to watching your progress as i had a skamper for a few years. Fixed it up and took it all over. Had a blast! :ylsmoke:
Cheers!

bftank

Explorer
welcome deerhunter, excited to see another one of these builds on here! skamper guys seem to know whats up!

crawldit

Adventurer
Looking good! Nice to see another 100s on here. I've had mine for a couple of months, but haven't done anything other than spruce up and repaint the interior. Mine was built in 1986 and the layout of the windows and storage hatches looks different so I'm guessing yours is at least a couple of years newer. We took ours on it's first camp out this weekend and absolutely love all of the space and storage. The roof corners and some fresh exterior paint are still on the short list.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've got a Northstar TS1000 with a similar roof. I talked to them about the joints in the aluminum roof. They said the joint is just rolled together and can loosen and leak. They recommended hammering the joint tight. Instead I just took about a 6" wide piece of rubber roofing tape (from Home Depot) and put it down over each joint. Aluminum foil on the top side. I painted it white to match the roof. Did it a year ago and seems to be holding up fine. I assume that a lot of these roofs on different campers are made by a single supplier. Northstar talked as if they bought their roofs pre-made and didn't manufacture them themselves.

Deerhunter

I have been busy with gardening and other summer projects but I will start on it before long. When I finish with the underside of the roof I'm going to coat it with Liquid Roof I have used it before with great results. There are some very good videos on YouTube about this product.

kerry

Expedition Leader
My roof was coated with that or a similar product at one time. I don't believe it's strong enough to serve as a permanent seal at the aluminum roof joints hence my use uf rubber roofing tape.

brian90744

American Trekker
Roof seal joints

I tried "EternaBond® RoofSeal" on the roof seams on my trailer, after 5 years in Hemet,Calif it's still leak free. I recommend this tape. You must clean up and remove old sealant from roof seams before applying.
thanks=brian

Rbertalotto

Explorer
NOTHING like "EternaBond"....Amazing stuff. I've used it on boats, campers, sun rooms etc. Not one leak once applied............And you can get it at Amazon...

I see the PO already extended the front jacks. I had to do the same thing on my Palomino Bronco so I didn't drive over the tripod feet of my jacks. I hate these tripod feet and would like to convert my camper to corner jacks. But at $1500 for a set, they would cost more than I paid for my camper!

Deerhunter

Took the roof off yesterday and the frame of the roof was in excellent condition. The styrofoam looks great also, it's just that the ceiling board was falling off. My question is should I replace the styrofoam or not, like I said it looks very good.

Deerhunter

Update on roof repair

Got the ceiling replaced yesterday, and the roof back on. All the wood was in great shape so I didn't have to replace any of that. Here are a couple of pics of the roof about half way through.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 33

kerry

Expedition Leader
What did you use to replace the ceiling board? Mine is showing its age in a few spots from leaks which are now fixed. Do you need to take the roof off to replace the ceiling board or could it be done in place?

Deerhunter

You need to take the roof off, it's not that bad of a job. Just take the canvas loose at the bottom and there is a small screw in each of the lifting bars just remove those and you are good to go. Just get about six friends to help get the top off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears