Photo Critiqing Thread

TeleScooby

Adventurer
Photog said:
With the A570, you should be able to use manual focus (MF). Look in your manual. If not, this is how the auto focus works - Within the focusing square, there needs to be something with high contrast, at the distance you wish to focus. A smooth wall won't focus; but the edge of a shadow on that wall, will focus.

If this does not work, try moving the focus square to some other point on the screen, and see if that helps.

This "contrast" issue is common for all auto focus systems, including the DSLR's.

Try stretching out a tape measure, extending away from you. Focus on one of the numbers, and see if it is in focus. If not, which numbers are in focus (closer or further?). Do this a few times to see if it is consistent.

Now - where is the brick wall and black pipe re-do?

The pain in the ***** is that I did all of that already, even the tape measure...no luck. Focus seems to be the one thing that I can't adjust manually on this little thing. I'm not done trying though, I'll shot some tests around the office when I have time today and post up some results...I'd love to get this figured out before I take the Canon out in the mountains this weekend.

As for the pipe and wall re-do, I'll get that re-shot when it stops raining...so hopefully by mid-March...this is Seattle after all! Seriously, I'm going to bring my D70 down Thursday I hope.

Photog

Explorer
TeleScooby said:
The pain in the ***** is that I did all of that already, even the tape measure...no luck. Focus seems to be the one thing that I can't adjust manually on this little thing. I'm not done trying though, I'll shot some tests around the office when I have time today and post up some results...I'd love to get this figured out before I take the Canon out in the mountains this weekend.

As for the pipe and wall re-do, I'll get that re-shot when it stops raining...so hopefully by mid-March...this is Seattle after all! Seriously, I'm going to bring my D70 down Thursday I hope.

On the back of the camera, there is a circular control wheel/button. The lower part of the button has a flower and "MF". The "MF" is Manual Focus. I don't know how to control it on that camera; but you do have the function.

Now, everyone, we need to get back to photo critiques. Post some pics.:sombrero:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Stick with the original crop, but then crop out the entire foot. You don't need it to tell the story.

Photog said:
Here is one of the ways I have modified this photo.
Cropped it down to put the subject (worms) at a power point, while keeping a hint of the HiLift in the background. Then adding a little vignette, to keep the subject highlighted, and tone down the background.

GaryMc

Explorer
Photog said:
Gary,
Constructive Criticism:
Create some more images like these, and place your subject near the power points of the rule-of-thirds. This is one of those rules theat needs to be broken; but it is an excellent place to start. The "Rocks" photo is very close to this idea. YOu could probably just crop a little off the right side, to gain the effect.

249087388-L.jpg

The colors are not pure G9, I play with saturation and contrast on most of my photos with Zoombrowser.
Thanks for the tip on 'thirds'.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
GaryMc said:
The colors are not pure G9

When I had my Canon S80, I used the foliage setting a lot. It produced similarly saturated colors out-of-camera. It should be the same on your G9. Just an fyi - your photos are superb. :)

505149403_4c2c62a1fd.jpg

pwc

Explorer
Photog said:
Aarrggh!!! I hate it when this happens. The worms are escaping from the tire.!!!!:Wow1:
IV8E0204.jpg

This photo has problems - How could it be improved? Hmmm.

Ifyou mean taking the picture over again, I'd go a little lower and to the right with the camera to show a bit more truck (EVERYONE loves 'a little more truck' in their pictures). I'd move the plug up to the left third top third intersection and remove the foot. the focus and blur is great. If you wanted to cheat, I'd also let some more air out of the tire.

pwc

Explorer
GaryMc said:
I picked up a G9 last week and spent a few day toying around with it. I'm a harsh critic of my photography, so I do not mind others constructive criticism's.

Feel free to post your photos to this thread, maybe we'll all learn something...

Here are some of I'm pleased with so far.

247038910-L.jpg

247042299-L.jpg

247042250-L.jpg

I like the first picture composition a lot. My wife learned a silly phrase of Nepali while on a trek this year which is "rungee chungee dunga", which means many colored rocks (more or less) and this made me think of that and laugh. so maybe that's why I like it. Which is true of a lot of photos; we like what we associate with.

The second photo needs things compressed a little. I really like what it's saying but the links are a bit of a stretch to the bottom. bring them up a little most likely by dropping the camera down a little. Even on my computer screen my eyes have to move too much to take it all in.

The last one doesn't do much for me. If I didn't know the links were there it'd look kinda mediocre.

pwc

Explorer
TeleScooby said:
GaryMc - Very nice! I also really like the middle shot.

Here are 3 I shot today on lunch, just wandering around with my little Canon A530 point & shoot (bought for hiking, skiing, etc...)

pipe.jpg

crane.jpg

shadow.jpg

The first could be a bit better focused. And maybe change perspective a little, otherwise, take the joint in the pipes out of the middle. Hmmm....or maybe leave it where it is. I'm not sure.

The second is cool the way it is, I think.

A trick I tried the last time I was shooting some kind of self portrait like this (or shadow) is to hold the camera in the middle of my body so it doesn't look like I'm taking a picture of my self. You could get a lot more symetry out of the shot which is what I think you were looking for. It'll take a fair amount of bad shots to get it right, but that's part of learning (and the joy of digital :) )

pwc

Explorer
nwoods said:
I've always tried to get more zing out of this photo. Any suggestions?
144171480-L.jpg

I'd try bumping up the saturation a bit and see what that does. it should bring out the rust more. I'd then bring up the blacks to make it a bit more harsh.

pwc

Explorer
CAPTAIN COORS said:
i shoot alot of birds, this is one of my favorites, what do you think? canon 5d 70-210mm 2.8 L

BIRD KILLER!!! oh wait.... :)

The bird is amazingly sharp. It could use a little different crop though. And could use a little more seperation from the background.
If you didn't have the lens wide open, bump up the ISO so you can and still maintain a sharp subject. man, those claws and eye look really sharp.
EDIT: ok, I figured out what was bugging me. That second....uhhh....long tall tube thing (forgive my ignorance) in the background is distracting the way it comes out of the bird. Move to the side, one way or the other, to isolate t he bird more. The background colors, except that long tall tube thing, are a great contrast to the bird, while the hints of maroon in th background compliment it well. It's very soothing that way. except that long tall.... :)

Photog

Explorer
The bird photo is nicely done. Excellent focus on the subject.

This could be a good example of camoflage in nature. The bird blends in to the background.

The problem with the cholla skeleton in the background (and other foliage) is, it is brighter than the rest of the image. Your attention is frawn to the background first, then to the bird. Darken the cholla limb, and maybe add a slight vignette to draw more attention to the bird.

Photographing birds is difficult. They move around so much, it is hard to get your compositions exactly right. When possible, leave a little more space in front of the subject (right side in this photo), and less behind it. This always feels better.

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
pwc said:
Ifyou mean taking the picture over again, I'd go a little lower and to the right with the camera to show a bit more truck (EVERYONE loves 'a little more truck' in their pictures). I'd move the plug up to the left third top third intersection and remove the foot. the focus and blur is great. If you wanted to cheat, I'd also let some more air out of the tire.

I have that photo too; but the harsh light of the day (Death Valley, mid-day) made it an unpleasant image. I agree with the change of perspective angle and "more truck" background.

Here is one that adds a bit more truck.
IV8E0205.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior