Photo Critiqing Thread

Photog

Explorer
bigreen505 said:
Stick with the original crop, but then crop out the entire foot. You don't need it to tell the story.

OK, here it is. Comes out to be a square crop. I added a little vignette too.
IV8E0204c2.jpg

Photog

Explorer
Lost Canadian said:
Ok how about these two?
TobermoryBWFramed.jpg

DSC_2313.jpg

These are very dramatic. Excellent ideas and good technique.

Post processing suggestions.

Trees:
Work with the brightness behind the trees. Keep it bright; but allow some detail in the clouds to come through. (assuming these are digital images) Start with the original file, and add blue shift. This will make the sky more colorful. Then using the "Channel Mixer" in Photoshop, click monochrome, and use the sliders to allow the extra blue to come through, as detail in the sky.

Stream:
Darken the sky, and the far end of the valley. A polarizer may have been helpful, to cut down the haze. It looks like you may have use a split neutral-density filter.

Last edited:

pwc

Explorer
I fiddled around a bit and this is what I came up with. The first might be too saturated. Also attached are the changes I made using Adobe Lightroom. The yellow shift on the second one was to bring it back close to what you had originally.

Photog

Explorer
slosurfer said:
Brian, very nice.:26_7_2: Brings back some scary memories.:oops:

Yea, they really should have used a bottle jack under the axle, after giving the frame a little support with the HiLift.

That was scary.:eek:

pismo62

Adventurer
There is some great advice floating around here. I'll throw a couple in, and I'd love to hear how to make them better. :26_7_2:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The flower image may not be salvagable. It's out of focus, has difficult lighting, etc....

I did fool around with that excellent canyon shot. It doesn't "need" anything, but it can be exaggerated in many different ways. I did a quick spin in Adobe Camera Raw and came up with these. We could do a LOT more with high dynamic range, layering, filters, etc...but this is just a quick tweak of what the camera saw.

Photog

Explorer
nwoods said:
The flower image may not be salvagable. It's out of focus, has difficult lighting, etc....

I did fool around with that excellent canyon shot. It doesn't "need" anything, but it can be exaggerated in many different ways. I did a quick spin in Adobe Camera Raw and came up with these. We could do a LOT more with high dynamic range, layering, filters, etc...but this is just a quick tweak of what the camera saw.

That is a very interesting twist on the canyon photo. I agree that it is an excellent image to work with. It looks good, as is; but it could be really great!

It has a strang feeling, or multiple temperatures. The bottom is blue and cold, while the top is orange and warm. As Mr. Woods said, I would make an adjustment layer, and and mask to warm up the bottom, and reduce the dynamic range a little. I will work on this a bit, and place it back in this post.

Here it is. Not completely finished. I would play with the colors a little more, to get a little more natural feel to it.
Guy, try some of these types of adjustments, and see how you like it.:)
View attachment 15335

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Its really interesting to me how much brighter your version is at the deepest point of the canyon floor. My version is intimidating and a bit foreboding, verses your image that invites exploration. How cool!

I really need to learn how to take advantage of layer masks and adjustment layers. I seldom use them. I think they scare me a but, along with the bezier curve tool :)

Photog said:
That is a very interesting twist on the canyon photo. I agree that it is an excellent image to work with. It looks good, as is; but it could be really great!

It has a strang feeling, or multiple temperatures. The bottom is blue and cold, while the top is orange and warm. As Mr. Woods said, I would make an adjustment layer, and and mask to warm up the bottom, and reduce the dynamic range a little. I will work on this a bit, and place it back in this post.

Here it is. Not completely finished. I would play with the colors a little more, to get a little more natural feel to it.
Guy, try some of these types of adjustments, and see how you like it.:)
View attachment 15335

Photog

Explorer
nwoods said:
Its really interesting to me how much brighter your version is at the deepest point of the canyon floor. My version is intimidating and a bit foreboding, verses your image that invites exploration. How cool!

That is exactly the look I was shooting for. If it were mine to print, I would push the color around a little more, and add some contrast back into it.

All that aside, it is a good image to begin with, and allows many options for modification. The only problem spot in the image, is the bright spot in the top center of the image. It is over exposed. If this were a RAW file, there might be enough data there, see color and detail.

Photog

Explorer
bigreen505 said:
Nice. I like that! :26_7_2:

IV8E0204c2.jpg

Thanks. Square images don't usually look too good; but having the tire fill 2/3 of the image, and a separate detail breaking up the remaining space, made it work. Thanks for the suggestion on the cropping.

pismo62

Adventurer
Thanks Nwoods and Photog. I like what you both did.

What program are you using to manipulate? Photoshop? I've been using micro. digital image pro. and shuttebug for simple adjustments. It's been some time since I used photoshop. It's probable more powerful than I feel I need.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
pismo62 said:
Thanks Nwoods and Photog. I like what you both did.

What program are you using to manipulate? Photoshop? I've been using micro. digital image pro. and shuttebug for simple adjustments. It's been some time since I used photoshop. It's probable more powerful than I feel I need.

I use PhotoShop CS3. I used to have CS2, but they made significant improvements with CS3 and it was worth the upgrade for me personally. It's definantly heavy duty software, and expensive considering that I don't shoot professionally and thus have no tax benefit or supporting revinue stream to support these kinds of purchases.

But the new & improved Adobe Camera Raw and Bridge photo management tools that come bundled with PhotoShop CS3 are very good and save me loads of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior